Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knotquiteawake
    replied
    it is radar. And we don't just file a complaint, we conduct traffic stops on campus. As part of our MOU with LASD we have authorization to enforce our traffic laws on campus and as such we can conduct code-3 traffic stops for vehicle violations. People must stop for us because while we are on duty we have Peace Officer power of arrest and detainment, which means if they flee it is evading a "peace officer" type situation. If someone evades us off campus we have to discontinue code-3 pursuit but will follow a short distance if necessary until the Sheriff shows up to pull them over.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Shut the f*** up and sit down!
    Isn't that jail speak for "Welcome to our humble facility, fine citizen".

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Reminds me of something that happened to me when I was working at the college. I caught a guy breaking into a vehicle in one of our parking lots so I arrested him for burglary. During the arrest the guy obeyed my commands and did not resist.

Once I got him into my unit and was driving him to the city jail for booking he told me that as a security guard I could not transport him anywhere and that I had to call the "real police" to come and get him. I told him that I was the "real police", not a security guard, and that if he didn't believe me it said "police" on my shoulder patches, "police" on my badge, and "police" in big blue letters on the side of the car he was riding in.

When we got to the city jail the guy actually told the jailer working intake that he wanted to place me under citizen's arrest for kidnapping. The jailer responded, without looking up from her computer screen, "Shut the f*** up and sit down!" I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing out loud.

I never did ask the guy what made him think I was a security guard and how he knew so much about the laws of arrest, but now I wish I had. The guy did turn out to have an extensive criminal record, so that probably
    explains it.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    I took him to jail. Fleeing in a vehicle is a felony here. He got a couple of traffic tickets too.
    That works. I figured the citation for fleeing and eluding would result in a physical arrest.

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Did you cite him for fleeing and eluding, or just look at him sternly and write him the traffic citation?
    I took him to jail. Fleeing in a vehicle is a felony here. He got a couple of traffic tickets too.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    Yeah... That explains something that happened to me once. I was running RADAR and went to stop a guy. He finally stopped off-campus. He claimed we couldn'd do anything about because we couldn't write tickets and we couldn't stop him off-campus.
    Did you cite him for fleeing and eluding, or just look at him sternly and write him the traffic citation?

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Looks like it. If they're certified to run radar, they may be using the radar as part of the campus safety policy, i.e.

If a student is speeding, a complaint is filed by campus safety with the dean, resulting in a "traffic ticket."

If a faculty member is speeding, a complaint is filed by campus safety with the human resources department, resulting in a "traffic ticket."

If someone who isn't governed by the disciplinary process is speeding, they are ejected from the campus.

The hard part, of course, is getting folks not governed to stop. Its easy to get someone who may be thrown out of college to stop, or their employment terminated for failure to yield.
    Yeah... That explains something that happened to me once. I was running RADAR and went to stop a guy. He finally stopped off-campus. He claimed we couldn'd do anything about because we couldn't write tickets and we couldn't stop him off-campus.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by wilrobnson
    Is that a...radar...on the dashboard?
    Looks like it. If they're certified to run radar, they may be using the radar as part of the campus safety policy, i.e.

If a student is speeding, a complaint is filed by campus safety with the dean, resulting in a "traffic ticket."

If a faculty member is speeding, a complaint is filed by campus safety with the human resources department, resulting in a "traffic ticket."

If someone who isn't governed by the disciplinary process is speeding, they are ejected from the campus.

The hard part, of course, is getting folks not governed to stop. Its easy to get someone who may be thrown out of college to stop, or their employment terminated for failure to yield.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by knotquiteawake
    Here's a picture a coworker put on his myspace a while back. The two guys are indeed twins. The light blue shirt is our current uniform, once armed they are considering keeping the light blue for trainees who are not armed, and go back to our old dark blue (LAPD blue) for the armed Officers. Oh, and we all wear ballistics (by that we mean kevlar right?), even before being armed, its just a really good idea if you work in any fash where you might have to confront a criminal.

Is that a...radar...on the dashboard?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard
    Nobody that I work with wears ballistics, as far as I know. I agree that we are there to be a visible deterent and anyone crazy to start popping off rounds at us needs to be handled by the cops.
    I don't know of any security in Montreal that wears vest either except people that work armoured cars & the transit security people.

Leave a comment:

• knotquiteawake
    replied
    Here's a picture a coworker put on his myspace a while back. The two guys are indeed twins. The light blue shirt is our current uniform, once armed they are considering keeping the light blue for trainees who are not armed, and go back to our old dark blue (LAPD blue) for the armed Officers. Oh, and we all wear ballistics (by that we mean kevlar right?), even before being armed, its just a really good idea if you work in any fash where you might have to confront a criminal.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridgegate
    LOL

Honestly, I think my supervisor WAS sucking in...
    That's funny. I think most of us, including myself, have to fight the 'battle of the bulge' once we get into our forties. I need to drop 10 LBS and it seems like I lose 3 and then gain 2-1/2.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Nobody that I work with wears ballistics, as far as I know. I agree that we are there to be a visible deterent and anyone crazy to start popping off rounds at us needs to be handled by the cops.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Originally posted by Bridgegate
    Fair enough... If you're strictly going for the high-visibility visual deterrant type of thing, then the bright shirts would work well... Out of curiosity though, do you guys wear ballistics? Just because you're not armed doesn't mean suspects aren't. All it takes is one gutsy suspect with a gun, to see that bright yellow shirt and start shooting...
    You can wear ballistics if you have them.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I like the two tone shirts. But you guys forgot to suck in the old guts for the picture....
    LOL

Honestly, I think my supervisor WAS sucking in... As for mine, I'm hoping I won't have to for much longer... I just signed up to join the kung fu academy my kids are going through.. The adult classes are a lot more intense, and I'm hoping it'll help get rid of the root beer belly...

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X