How early do you arrive for work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How early do you arrive for work?

I try to arrive at work at least 15 minutes ahead of time, that way I can find out what's going on without keeping the other guy there beyond his time to go.

On the other hand, I once worked with a man who would show up three hours before his shift started. He said he did that because he had a very bad home life. After a week of this and distracting the guards on duty, he was written up and told to arrive 15-30 minutes before his shift started.

When I was Navy, on the ship in port, some guys arrived at 6 am to get a close parking space. I parked about 7:15 and walked 10 minutes to the ship. I guess these same guys are the ones I see waiting for the 3rd slot at walmart, while I take the 1st spot I see and walk in before them.
    sigpic
    Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

I try for ten minutes. Used to be more. I like to get to work early, read the paper, drink a cup of coffee, but most of my sites aren't amenable to that.

Comment

8-10 minutes is fine for me. I wish I could be one of the guys that is always 20-25 minutes for work, But that just isn't how I am wired I guess. We have guys that show up around a half hour early every shift. To each their own I guess, but that is way too much time off the clock for my tastes.

All I expect as a boss is that the officers are in uniform and at their post by their starting time.

Comment

1 man I worked with in 1 hour before work as he was given a lift with his wife to the train station so it worked out best, another one travelled 2 hours by train so arrived 30 minutes early and during compulstory o/t during sales I had him just start on that time. 1 bloke let his bills go so came in 2 hours before work for breakfast, shower and shave for a few weeks as he had no power at home. It better than those who don't arrive, arrive 2 hours later or come in unprepared or first say - I need to go for a pitstop first. Sheesh - kingergarten or work - what is it to be ? Some people could get their 2 hours before shift and still not be dressed or ready on time.
          Last edited by NRM_Oz; 02-03-2008, 05:55 AM.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

How early do you arrive for work?

I don't want sound off my rocker .But showing up early i'll never do unless i'm getting paid too. Reason why if you work 8 hours a day 40 hours a week 160 hours a month 1920 a years .You just give your boss 2 weeks of free work. Plus if you can't fill me in in 5 mins either i'm a monkey or the person filling me in is a monkey.

Just my two cents
            CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Have always been at least 10 minutes early. Of course there were a few guys that would not show up on time or made a habit of wanting to be briefed on my time. First time was free, after that I left and they could read the logs for info.

I have been late (under 15 min) twice in 15 years, only then because of traffic / car problems.

Could never understand how selfish a person could be by showing up exactly at shift start, then going to the bathroom, get a coffee etc while the previous shift is waiting to go home.
              Last edited by Eric; 02-03-2008, 07:05 AM.
              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

I have never missed a day sick other than minor surgery but got my own coverage. Always at least 10 mins early. The company has recently had some pencil pusher changes lately and in the last week the client has gotten a call each day from a female asking if the guard showed up. Frankly I'm offended by this as is has connotations that I am an undependable slouch. I am trying to find out who this person is so I can correct her personal phone skills using the Chucky method of training through profanity. Until I track down this person I have to assume that she is not a company employee and someone casing the guard situation.
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                  I have never missed a day sick other than minor surgery but got my own coverage. Always at least 10 mins early. The company has recently had some pencil pusher changes lately and in the last week the client has gotten a call each day from a female asking if the guard showed up. Frankly I'm offended by this as is has connotations that I am an undependable slouch. I am trying to find out who this person is so I can correct her personal phone skills using the Chucky method of training through profanity. Until I track down this person I have to assume that she is not a company employee and someone casing the guard situation.
                  It's your wife, credit card + husband away = day of shopping

Is the Client not annoyed enough to do the star 69 or whatever thing ?
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

I arrive at work, every day that I'm home, at about 4AM to 5AM. This, of course, depends on how long it takes me to walk the 36 steps to my office. Some days it takes longer than others.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                      I arrive at work, every day that I'm home, at about 4AM to 5AM. This, of course, depends on how long it takes me to walk the 36 steps to my office. Some days it takes longer than others.
                      Hope you have a travel size coffee mug for that trip
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

Absolutely - My wife keeps me supplied with travel mugs from Chilton Automotive. She also sent about another 20 to our son in Iraq. Talk about advertising.
                        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                          Absolutely - My wife keeps me supplied with travel mugs from Chilton Automotive. She also sent about another 20 to our son in Iraq. Talk about advertising.
                          Curtis, nice touch!
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill

Comment

I arrive 15 minutes early but always stay at least a half hour after my shift. I get there early because I live a 3 minute walk from the métro station & the hotel is located a 2 minute walk from the station at the other end. In spite of the métro cars being 41 years old they are very reliable. Montreal's subway is totally underground not effected by weather. I start work at 15h00 which is before the school end for the day heare so I do not have the problems with the kids holding the doors at the stations etc. A few times a year we are delayed due to suicides however.(Scanners work in the métro so I usually know what is going on!)
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I get in 10 to 15 minutes early to prep for the day. My co-workers are already working most times and when we're finished we can punch out and leave. we have mildly staggered shifts so someone is always on duty. j.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X