X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Saber,
    As much as anyone could like a job the ability to live on the pay you get has to be considered. Personally I can't make it on $8 an hour and I don't see how many people do. Sure for a short time but after 12 years I'd be fighting to get away from that poverty level pay.

Leave a comment:

• Saber1000
    replied
    Were I work(a small company ) starting pay is $7.00 hour for everyone armed,unarmed,dispatch. I will start my 12th year this year I was promoted to Captain this year I make $8.00 hour last raise I got was 18 months ago good thing I like my job

Leave a comment:

• HomeInCalifornia
    replied
    $7.25 per hour for armed is very, very low. I hope the guard has another source of income.

That's hard for me to imagine. As a gunowner, it's important to pratice shooting on a regular basis. And shooting costs money. To do it right, you need to shoot a lot of rounds. Lives are at stake. For people who carry daily as part of the job, it's good to shoot at least once a week.

A box of 9mm costs about $10. 4 boxes for 200 rounds would cost $40. If you have a range membership, you just pay once for the year. If not, you're talking about another $12 and with tax, you're closing in at $60 for some time at the range. If you do this twice a week, that's $120. And at $7.25 per hour, it's not viable.

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Nice to be called `young` *sigh*.

In Australia, CIT has a standard rate of about $40 US a pick up plus a 1.4% counting and deposit fee by the company collecting the cash. So on a $100k US pick up they would get $1,240 for that 1 job after counting. `Discount Dan` a nickname given to 1 company does it for 1/2 the pick up cost and 1.1% of counting costs. Naturally they get small business who look to saveg $100 - $200.00 a week as they don't care who picks up the cash. Subcontractors are used at around $9 - 11 US a pick up plus a tiny commission on counting. This discounting, resulted in an attack on a S/O shooting a bandit (previously posted) at point blank range after he assaulted her.

As I say to the new blokes coming into the industry - how much is your life worth ? how much am I going to send to your loved ones to replace you ? If we were talking $10.00 more an hour, I would look at the job more, but for the sake of coins, no thanks - let the next bloke take it on.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    BC,
    Thanks for your comments and advise. Rest assured that I understand your points and that I respect you and your opinion and because of that I will take to heart everything you posted.
    To everyone who has posted on this subject, I say thanks.
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    It's simple. When you work in high crime areas, you may encounter resistance, you may walk up on something thats bad. You MAY even become a target of the abd guys because you are hindering their business.

When you do the armored transport thing (for the same or less money by the way), you ARE a target (or rather sitting on top of a big one) just about every moment of your shift. In other crimes the bad guys usually have to avoid or escape police and security attention if they want to succeed , in an armored car heist there is incentive to eliminate the protection officers....

The thing you are protecting, a truck full of money is the proverbial BIG SCORE same bad guys wait their whole criminal lives for. Bad things will come to you rather than you having to go to it like in some other protective service jobs, and then there is the ever present risk that the guy sitting next to you wearing the same uniform is about to gank you lol.

We're not making this up. I've been in this type of work for 15 years, many people here have been doing it for way longer, and very very underestimate the risks of money transport security. Those risks are real.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    You have a point, but many of those posters are (young-?) thrill seekers. And I don't think conflict is mandatory, but a borderline they seek to dance on as often as they can.
    The only conflicts I have are with my wife, and the only thrills I seek are a full coffee pot in the morning and a correct paycheck.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    What's interesting to me is the number of post I see here in these forums advising someone against taking jobs as Armored car drivers because of the low pay and danger of being robbed. Yet those same posters are the ones who are patroling section 8 apartment complexes and wrestling with shoplifters on a regular basis. I think I'd rather drive around all day in the truck than face gangbangers and chase theives.
    You have a point, but many of those posters are (young-?) thrill seekers. And I don't think conflict is mandatory, but a borderline they seek to dance on as often as they can.

Armed guard over a million dollars is going against the 'big boys' who will dust you off systemically. To me, its the paranoia of LE on the streets, but even more since you are the target(!).

As well, it could be the same crack heads from the projects taking pot-shots at you too: but with a million dollars prize. That's a lot of crack!

If the contractors pay more for gas than the human life servicing their large profits, then the contractors deserve everything the low wage SO's do for their business. Its ironic that the lower wage employees are often intra-company thieves that need to steal just to survive.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    What's interesting to me is the number of post I see here in these forums advising someone against taking jobs as Armored car drivers because of the low pay and danger of being robbed. Yet those same posters are the ones who are patroling section 8 apartment complexes and wrestling with shoplifters on a regular basis. I think I'd rather drive around all day in the truck than face gangbangers and chase theives.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by jbaerbock View Post
    Quite a ways, funny how many of my co-workers joke about doing that though lol.
    Don't you dare risk your life for those penny pinching bastards: probably tight on OT as well no doubt.

You've only got so many breaths left in your life for 'noble causes' to make filthy rich industrialists even richer.

And you're in the North too. Many of the web posters here in your area make it sound like an 'average' security pay is in the $40K to $60K salary range. But you are in the same market range of the 3 poorest county-area (where I am) for wages in Florida (where all the wealthy retire). In fact, you may be slightly below.

Like the Godfather, James Brown, said, "Welcome to the Club"
    Last edited by ddog; 01-26-2008, 01:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jbaerbock
    replied
    Quite a ways, funny how many of my co-workers joke about doing that though lol.

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    Originally posted by jbaerbock View Post
    Im armed and drive millions of dollars around and yet I only get 9/hr. So yeah seems these jobs are paying less and less now a days. We don't even get health insurance.
    How far is the Canadian border from you? Don't forget to send a post card.

Leave a comment:

• jbaerbock
    replied
    Im armed and drive millions of dollars around and yet I only get 9/hr. So yeah seems these jobs are paying less and less now a days. We don't even get health insurance.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Those pics were from my time with 3rd Inf Div in Kitizgen, Germany. In 1990 I went to 1st Cav at Fort Hood. I depolyed with them to Desert Storm before ETSing in 1991.

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    Outstanding pictures. I did a brief stint with 2nd AD Hell on Wheels at Ft Hood Texas. Your pics looked like Germany. The Church with the twin Towers looks like one down by Neu Ulm in the southern part. Germany was a beautiful country.
    I was stationed at a missile guidance system recalibration Kaserne in Pforzheim. Translated means fart. The ball bearing manufacturing companies during WW2 gave off a smelly odor. What Armor Division were you in?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X