Finally going armed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally going armed

Well, I had an interview at one of my bosses other companies and they only do anything armed. They said I got top marks but in order to be considered further, I have to become armed. So I put in Paid Time Off (PTO) at my current security job for this weekend to take the 20 hour course mandated by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission to become an armed security officer. After I complete this class, I will have a 2nd interview with the Sergeant (who interviewed me today) and the owner of the company (Chief of Security). Eventually, they want me in to the Executive Protection end of the business. This is all cool to me.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the contracts. Most of which are bars, apartment complexes. In other words, not very nice places. I wont be alone at any time so back-up is always there. The only 1 Officer post is a strip-club but its one man because its slow there and nothing really happens.

Anybody else do contracts in rough areas? How is it for you?
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

I haven't had the chance to work security as of yet, but might in the future. Just wanted to chime in and wish you the best of luck & be safe Hope you get the job
    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

FEP - best of luck mate.

Sounds like you are going to move into a new area in the industry and of course this is going to ensure you are keen to keep interested to remain in the industry. Your safety is #1 but the extra firearms training is going to assist you in your employment for the future - no matter what way you go.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Well first thing i strongly suggest is get your self a level III A vest with either a hard trauma plate or a stab plate. second If your in a bar environment make sure you learn some solid self defence and weapon retention training. last but not least if the guys your working with are afraid to mix it up request a transfer or get a new partner.
        Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

Originally posted by mad_malk View Post
          Well first thing i strongly suggest is get your self a level III A vest with either a hard trauma plate or a stab plate. second If your in a bar environment make sure you learn some solid self defence and weapon retention training.
          I have the vest, etc and good defense skills. I used to be an Auxiliuary Deputy Sheriff.
          "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
            I have the vest, etc and good defense skills. I used to be an Auxiliuary Deputy Sheriff.
            then a good partner is the only thing left to worry about. Generally the problem with the bad clubs is 1 of 2 things generally speaking. either when fights break out weapons come out too. Or when fights break out they spread quickly. IF you can stop 98% of the weapons by having a female officer search the woman's pursues and pat them down while male officers pat down the men that alleviates problem number 1 to a large extent. Stoping fights as soon as the start helps minimize problem number two. It also help if it becomes known if you fight in the club it earns you getting choked out, arrested and banned for a few weeks or trespassed.
            Ethical Schizophrenia is the substance of heroes. -Frank Rich

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
              Well, I had an interview at one of my bosses other companies and they only do anything armed. They said I got top marks but in order to be considered further, I have to become armed. So I put in Paid Time Off (PTO) at my current security job for this weekend to take the 20 hour course mandated by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission to become an armed security officer. After I complete this class, I will have a 2nd interview with the Sergeant (who interviewed me today) and the owner of the company (Chief of Security). Eventually, they want me in to the Executive Protection end of the business. This is all cool to me.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the contracts. Most of which are bars, apartment complexes. In other words, not very nice places. I wont be alone at any time so back-up is always there. The only 1 Officer post is a strip-club but its one man because its slow there and nothing really happens.

Anybody else do contracts in rough areas? How is it for you?
              As crazy as it sounds, I've always preferred working the rougher areas, than the low crime areas. Just use alot of commen sense, and make sure your backup knows everything you're doing. Always make sure you're aware of your surroundings, and NEVER EVER keep a pattern. Send me a PM if you have any specific questions, i'll be glad to give my .02 cents.
              "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

All the gear is useless if your partner or team are useless as well. Working numerous sporting events (aussies will know what I mean by 1 day cricket events), with new partners or with older experience guys being split up to go with brand new sub sub contractors makes life harder. If someone gets into a fight the last thing you want to do is be looking over your shoulder for your partner or 3rd team member who is too busy picking their nose.

Worst thing I saw was a security team get caught into a crowd who surrounded them and 1 S/O going down under the crowd by being tripped over and the other teams just standing there watching as my partner and I went into the crowd to get this bloke out and protect his female partner who was covering her injured partner. Lastly, you need to have a partner who is going to keep cool when someone calls them a d1ckhead rather than have a bar brawl over a stupid word.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Rough spots...

I've worked my fair share of them. It is ESSENTIAL that eyes and ears are open at all times. If in a bar, be cordial to the regulars. In an apt, get to know who has eyes (there's always a few.) These people will be great assets, plus they tend to keep some of the others in line. It has worked in my experience.

Comment

I always ask the question "Is the juice worth the squeeze"? How much more money are you going to be making?

Working in bars and rough areas puts your risk of being hurt/killed through the roof compared to the more standard run of the mill security work. What is the payoff for this increased risk?

Comment

Good luck man I to am just starting a higher risk position and will be armed for the first time (unless you consider tactical batton and pepper spray armed).
                      -Protect and Serve-

Comment

Just remember...

Read my quote that ended up in someone's tagline. A cool head, a respectful attitude, a quick wit, a command presence, and a steady nerve go a million times further than any weapon ever will. I have worked unarmed posts wishing I was armed. However, the site may have been rough, but the people learned to respect me because I showed them equal respect. It is always the key...

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                          I always ask the question "Is the juice worth the squeeze"? How much more money are you going to be making?

Working in bars and rough areas puts your risk of being hurt/killed through the roof compared to the more standard run of the mill security work. What is the payoff for this increased risk?
                          The payoff is actually seeing the results of your work.

I work in high risk security areas, unarmed, and I get in physical confrontations with people on a regular basis. However, I enjoy the excitement, and I like to actually see the results of the work that I am doing. Instead of marching around a hotel in the wee hours of the morning, or sitting in a housing complex at 0200 hours, I like to be front and center to deal with issues.

Comment

nauticus

You hit the nail right on the head...

Comment

The bars and clubs, is one place i have yet to work at, wife wont allow that.... be safe and alert at all times. have fun with it, dont mistreat folks, and always take some of (the negative comments that u will hear) with a grain of salt....
                              Last edited by LDenton; 01-16-2008, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X