Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Thanks, BC. I'm getting my ducks in a row and ABM is on the short list of places I'm going to try for.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    I worked for ABM (ACSS) for about 6 weeks back in '96. Had left the Sheriff's office (ran from it more like) and was waiting for a call about the non-sworn posistion I applied for with a hospital PD. Out of work, I needed something and ACSS had a big add in the paper.

Funny thing is, I got hired and they assigned me (purely by accident) to the same downtown Highrise I had been assigned to when I worked for Barton. 4 weeks in to my assignment and I get the call from the hospital, put in my 2 weeks and left.

So if 6 weeks 12 years ago in the state next door means anything to ya EMT, my short experiance was very positive, they really had their act together, I really like the guys I was working with and actually hated to leave. Pay was above average.
    Last edited by Black Caesar; 01-15-2008, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Minneapolis Security
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    Safety first! I've quit $35/hr consulting job for going 80 miles (x2) each way per day (160 miles) and 4 hours rest at night tops. I had death brushes every night with trucks on I-40 coming from Memphis to Nashville. Those truck drivers are crazy!

And then I slept in a furnished barn 100 yards from I-40 in Dixon, TN. Those SOB's even reved their engines up by my barn when they saw my red truck outside a few times. Well, ...uh..., I do yell (like Gomer Pyle's SGT Carter, ) "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" every truck stop I ride by at night with my right window down at the top of my lungs, lol. It helps me stay awake at night :-O

And in the daytime too, if I got time to slow down and already driving in the right lane. Too many truck stops, and only one of me!

Best of luck, and get a good nights rest.

Making good time travelling at night in SE USA,
    Night Rider, in Red Dakota
    ;-)

English translation please!

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Officerchick,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Steve,

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    My thoughts on them is that they are a observe and report operation that is basically an afterthought to their cleaning business.
    I take issue with the 'afterthought' part of that statement. I do actually work for ABM Security and have for nearing two years. I will say without equivocation that it is the best company I have ever worked for. I have never had problems with my pay, the Ops Supervisor and Manager are truly always available. I've always had back up when I need it, in any form. I have no doubt that my boss would back me, as long as I'm in the right, and has done so.

Like any company, we have our share of galoots, but over all, particularly with Management, there is a high standard and quality that I've encountered. As for the O&R, that is generally true. My branch is currently non-com, but I've heard from my boss that they are trying to go commissioned this year. Don't know if this is branch specific or nationwide, though. And I can only speak from my experience of my branch, but by and large it has been an excellent experience.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    My thoughts on them is that they are a observe and report operation that is basically an afterthought to their cleaning business.

One of the largest companies around MN is American Security. It is the sister company of Marsden Building Maintenance. They offer "package" deals that encompass several areas of building operations. By doing this, the company increases their bottom line and the client has one less vendor to worry about.

The building maintenance companies generally offer the client a discount on the guard when they sign on for their cleaning or other building maintenance services.

I worked at a building once that had ABM as their cleaning vendor and their building maintenance vendor but used a different security provider. The cleaners seemed happy enough and even though it was 15 years ago, I understand some of the same people are still there working for ABM.

As I have always said, a lot of contract security is the account that you are assigned to and the client's view of security.

I think it is a stable company and probably would not be any worse than the outfit you currently work for.

Leave a comment:

• jbaerbock
    replied
    Pay sounds reasonable compared to what I have gotten. I only drive about 5 minutes to work (less on a clear non snow ridden day).

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Mileage is a hidden cost on a car and with with petrol (gas) floating around $4.20 - $4.75 US a gallon, it becomes an issue. But the 4 hours of extra travel / day does take a toll on social / family life and if you worked out the 20+ hours extra plus the 90 miles is 2 full days of time you miss out on and guessing it would be close to 1.5 tanks of gas too. You need to work out what your break even point is financially.

1 bad day was when I had to drive 5 hours to a remote store for a major fraud investigation involving all 8 staff and after a full day, having to drive home again another 4 hours late at night. After stopping for petrol (gas) and later a feed, I rang my g/f to speak with her for the last 1.5 hours as those 18 wheelers own those roads at night as this was the interstate highway. I made a decision to never pull such a stunt again as my life is worth more than any job.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    I'm sorry. I sould have posted this in the Job Center section instead of General Discussion.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Safety first! I've quit $35/hr consulting job for going 80 miles (x2) each way per day (160 miles) and 4 hours rest at night tops. I had death brushes every night with trucks on I-40 coming from Memphis to Nashville. Those truck drivers are crazy!

And then I slept in a furnished barn 100 yards from I-40 in Dixon, TN. Those SOB's even reved their engines up by my barn when they saw my red truck outside a few times. Well, ...uh..., I do yell (like Gomer Pyle's SGT Carter, ) "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" every truck stop I ride by at night with my right window down at the top of my lungs, lol. It helps me stay awake at night :-O

And in the daytime too, if I got time to slow down and already driving in the right lane. Too many truck stops, and only one of me!

Best of luck, and get a good nights rest.

Making good time travelling at night in SE USA,
    Night Rider, in Red Dakota
    ;-)
    Last edited by ddog; 01-14-2008, 08:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    started a topic What about ABM Security Services?

What about ABM Security Services?

http://www.abm.com/ilwwcm/connect/ABM/Home/Security/
    Anyone work for them now or in the past? Any opinions regarding their SOs and things such as training, pay, etc...?

As I've mentioned in other threads, my current company has not given us a pay raise since they got the current contract in 2003 and now we are going to have to pay for TWIC cards. As soon as I have my TWIC card and my National Registry of EMTs recertification is done I'm putting in my resignation. The 100 miles back and forth to work and the crappy contract are wearing me down.
    ABM has positions open at facilities less than 10 miles from my home. Even with a cut in pay I'd be better off without the long commute. Plus I think it's be good to work somewhere which has some higher standards for it's officers. Half the SOs I've worked with in the past 3 years never bothered to tuck in their shirts, slept regularly and their patrols consisted of driving to the back of the plant and talking on their cellphones for an hour before driving back to the desk.
    There's a hospital (about 10 miles away) looking for EMTs to work as Emergency Room Techs on an as needed basis (PRN) which I plan to apply for also to keep my EMT certifications valid.
    It's time to jump ship and ABM is one of several companies I'm considering. Any help would be appreciated.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X