Is anyone here a CSSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone here a CSSM?

I know that there are quite a few CPOs on here, but I was wondering if anyone here was Certified in Security Supervision and Management? I am thinking about enrolling in the SSM Program (it's a prerequisite) and then going for my CSSM. Just wondering if anyone else took this path, or if the CPO is recommended over the other certifications.

Thanks,
    Erik
    111th PAPD Class
    Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Originally posted by Security View Post
    I know that there are quite a few CPOs on here, but I was wondering if anyone here was Certified in Security Supervision and Management? I am thinking about enrolling in the SSM Program (it's a prerequisite) and then going for my CSSM. Just wondering if anyone else took this path, or if the CPO is recommended over the other certifications.

Thanks,
    Erik
    Took the CSSM course in 2006. I have to say that it's a pretty squared away course, simmilar in quality to a lot of the Law Enforcement classes I have taken. Definately worth the price tag. I have my CPO Instructor Cert as well, and CSSM more oriented towards overal security leadership and CPO is about operational considerations. I would start with the CPO and move up to the CSSM.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    -George Orwell

Comment

Where can this course be taken?
      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
        Where can this course be taken?
        IFPO (International Foundation for Protection Officers) courses like CPO, CSSM, and others can be taken through IFPO Headquaters.

Also Advanced Systems Technology offers these courses.
        www.hits.astcorp.com

Finally,

Some community colleges are authorized by IFPO to offer this course.

I unfortunately only certify in house personnel, but can answer any questions you may have.
        We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
        -George Orwell

Comment

I often wonder if these programs are worth the $200 or so they charge you for them, and if they'll pay off as far as pay and promotions.

Years ago, I did some PI work for Chuck Thibodeau when he was a director for IFPO. He talked me into joining the IFPO, but I never got around to taking the courses. Chuck taught the IFPO course as an optional course of the Security Management program at Pine Technical College, also.

I never took the IFPO course when I got my AA in Security Management because I was working for Best Buy at the time, and my boss explained it as trying to get a job with a police dept after taking a correspondence course through an ad in a detective magazine. So, I figured, why bother?

I did take all the certification exams through the IAHSS, because a hospital I worked for paid for them. At present I am supervising officers at 3 Minnesota Hospitals, and none of my client contacts have even heard of the IAHSS, much less their courses. When I told them about all my certifications, I just got a blank stare.

Now I am working on getting my BA in Security Management through the American Military University. I hope I'm not wasting $750 bucks a semester getting an online degree that no one will recognize!
          Last edited by Badge714; 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM.
          "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

I personally consider the IFPO offerings to be basically worthless. They seem to be security 101 IMHO. I am a CPO and am almost ashamed to admit it.

Now if we were talking ablut the CPP or CFE that is a whole different ballgame.

Comment

Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
              Now I am working on getting my BA in Security Management through the American Military University. I hope I'm not wasting $750 bucks a semester getting an online degree that no one will recognize!
              I would imagine a BA will be easier for hiring departments to understand than the IFPO & ASIS programs. Keep up the good work. And for others, because college is easier for HR to understand, if looking at IFPO, look into any local colleges that offer it first.

I will not bad mouth the IFPO programs ( I have the CPO) however, take a look at your situation and where you want to be in the near future. Which program will help you get there!

I will not bad mouth ASIS either ( I have the CPP) however, ASIS is better known.

Perhaps also consider, if looking at certifications, the CISSP. Marriage of physical Security & Computer Security could be a fact of life. Hopefully we will always need front line security and supervisors for them....
              Last edited by Eric; 01-09-2008, 04:50 PM.
              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question. After reading some of the responses here, I have decided not to go for the CSSM. As far as certifications go, I think I will just wait the seven or whatever years before I am eligible to get my CPP, but we'll see. Like Eric said, though, having my bachelor's degree is probably far better, anyway. I am also pursuing my master's degree in business administration right now with a concentration in security management, so I am counting on this to improve my chances of getting into upper management one day. Anyway, thanks again for the responses. I am glad that I asked here first.

Erik
                111th PAPD Class
                Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X