Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the police I knew as a kid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    This is another reason why wannabees are putting themselves in danger when they buy a Crown-Vic and go out of their way to make it look like a police car. Some gangs specifically target the police as sort of an initiation right for new members that want to be accepted into the gang. Not a good idea.

I remember a case in Lower Manhattan, East Side, where a NYC housing police car was patrolling a street that I was parallel parked on. Just as the cruiser passed my location, the rear window shattered. The cops jumped out of their vehicle and asked me if I saw where the shot came from. I didn't even realize a shot had been fired! I had just witnessed an ambush from a sniper. Moral of the story: Make sure your uniform and vehicle colors are different enough for even the stupid ones to be able to tell the difference.
    With the kind of work I have done in security, some of our people have been shot at in such a fashion. They were not targeted, however, because of how the vehicle looked, but because the bad guys knew why we were coming. We were either going to stop the burglary they were committing while going to an alarm call or we were going to discover them dealing drugs or doing something illegal on our property.

This was whether we were driving the Crown Victoria or a little pickup truck. Actually the Crown Victoria has more of a deterrance factor because the model is associated with police. The one I drive now for the current company I work for has striping on it that looks absolutely nothing like the local p.d., but people move out of the way and I don't get challenged by gang members. It has "security" written on it in large red letters. I did get challenged by such unsavory characters, however, when I drove a red pickup truck on patrol. I see the difference as being the other way around.

It should also be kept in mind we don't have the option of making our vehicles or uniforms look a certain way. They are registered and issued. There is no option there. If you don't like the way it looks then don't work there.
    Also, if I ever turn the scanner on it is for officer safety, not to "respond" (aka get in the way of) p.d. calls. There is a large difference between such "wannabe" behavior exhibited by immature individuals who end up getting a security job and the proper use of such a device.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Here is my 2 cents on responding wo code.

Last falla LEO in a city near me and a supervisor was responding no-code to an Officer-needs-assistance call. Later investigations determined the LE was in excess of 90mph in a 40mph zone just before he broadsided an SUV and killed the driver along with critically injuring her passenger. The LE had relatively minor injuries.

The SUV was turning on a green arrow. As the LE was no-code the SUV had the right-of-way. The Presecuting attornety for the county may bring criminal charges against the LE and possibly the super.
      When a vihicle is approaching at those speeds once you commit to a turn there is no way you could register it and get out of its way.

If the LE had even just been using his warning lights the crash probably would not have happened.

I have learned over the years that even a LARGE fire engine or ladder with all the lights and sirens on are almost ignored by many drivers.Now compare that with the sieluitte (sic) of either a passenger car or a small SUV.

Remember the average crash is over from realization to final in well under one-half second.

Comment

If I'm going to be driving like a maniac, I want to be seen and heard from over 500 feet away. At least 500 feet. More like 2000.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          If I'm going to be driving like a maniac, I want to be seen and heard from over 500 feet away. At least 500 feet. More like 2000.
          N.A., something to think about is that when using a siren get a variable one that can make several differant sounds.

If you are on a highway a longer lasting that crests and falls is better.
          On city/neighborhood areas more of the traditional PD/EMS sounding works best. I have also found that the phaser sounding ones work very well at intersections and other ares that vehicles are pulling out into the street at.

True a VERY LOUD siren will be heard also but unless it is properly installed the sound can blast back to you also. (experianced)
          This is backed up by studies and again I am sorry I do not remember the source.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
            ......The SUV was turning on a green arrow. As the LE was no-code the SUV had the right-of-way.
            In Connecticut, running code does not automatically give the police the right to barrel through an intersection when the light is not in their favor. In such a case, the police may only proceed through the intersection after slowing and even stopping, if necessary, to ensure that the intersection is clear of vehicles that have a green light.

Also, I'm for running code when considerable speed is required for a timely response. I'm talking about no code for 10-15 mph over the limit; something that a lot of drivers do anyhow. That shouldn't be a problem.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
              This was whether we were driving the Crown Victoria or a little pickup truck. Actually the Crown Victoria has more of a deterrance factor because the model is associated with police.
              My post referred to wannabees, not security. No need to defend your position.

Comment

Get a train air horn installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  In Connecticut, running code does not automatically give the police the right to barrel through an intersection when the light is not in their favor. In such a case, the police may only proceed through the intersection after slowing and even stopping, if necessary, to ensure that the intersection is clear of vehicles that have a green light.

Also, I'm for running code when considerable speed is required for a timely response. I'm talking about no code for 10-15 mph over the limit; something that a lot of drivers do anyhow. That shouldn't be a problem.
                  Actualy it is that way here also but..

I thought about the train air horn myself but it is uncomfortable sitting on the compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01

Actualy it is that way here also but..

I thought about the train air horn myself but it is uncomfortable sitting on the compressor.
                    I think a 200 watt digital air horn is just fine. Especially when you turn it on while rolling up on some unsuspecting idiot.

Yes, I can be evil.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I think a 200 watt digital air horn is just fine. Especially when you turn it on while rolling up on some unsuspecting idiot.

Yes, I can be evil.
                      So can having four 2 million candlepower spotlights mounted on the top of a Jeep.
                      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

I can tell you one thing though...the uniforms that our law officers wear today can tell you just how far ahead we have moved. Like here in Florida...we have Beach Police on the beach. They drive around with a surfboard in the back of their truck and they wear shorts and a polo shirt. Come on now... who could possibley take them serious without laughing at their attire? Even Park Rangers have fallen into this lax looking uniform. When I was little the ranger would walk up to our campsite with his "Smokey the Bear" looking hat on and give you a rolled up trash bag...now.. everything has become too liberal!
                        You definitetly get more respect when you dress sharp and your uniform is ironed and looks clean and well groomed than an officer who wears a slouchy uniform.
                        I've been working as a Security Officer for almost 3 years. Worked for Wackenhut as a Custom Protection Officer (CPO) and Securitas where I was a SGT. and Site Supervisor. I am currently employed by Guardsmark. I have worked as security in a hospital dealing with Baker Acts, the Morgue, fire, etc and Beach Resorts dealing with Spring Breakers in Panama City, Florida and even worked as a uniformed Loss Prevention Officer in a major department store using CCTV....

Comment

Originally posted by K9BITESME
                          Like here in Florida...we have Beach Police on the beach. They drive around with a surfboard in the back of their truck and they wear shorts and a polo shirt. Come on now... who could possibley take them serious without laughing at their attire?
                          I have no problem with the polo shirt/shorts look in the appropriate setting such as a beach patrol, boat patrol, bike patrol, etc. For regular everyday patrol duties I think it looks unprofessional, however.

I remember watching a training video put out several years ago by the Indiana State Police, I think it was. They interviewed a convicted cop killer who killed a city police officer (I think it was an Indianapolis PD officer) in the early 1980's. The killer hated the police and one day decided to kill a cop. One of the questions asked by the interviewer was why the killer picked his particular victim.

The killer said that he picked a particular donut shop that was frequented by the city cops. The killer said that two other cops showed up before the particular victim the killer chose. The killer said that he left the first two cops alone because they wore their uniforms proudly and their leather gear and shoes shined. The killer thought they would be harder targets to kill.

The killer described the victim cop as wearing a sloppy uniform that didn't fit properly, the victim cop was not wearing body armor, the victim cop was overweight, and his leather gear was dull. The killer thought this cop would be an easy target, and it looks like he was. Something to think about the next time you don't feel like ironing your uniform or shining your shoes.

Comment

Yes, I can be evil.
                            I used to do volunteer work as an Emergency Medical Technician-First Responder for a suburb of Montreal. We had a red truck that looked like Squad 51 from the tv show Emergency!. When it would break down we would borrow a green pickup truck from the City Works department. It had a yellow flasher on top. We had a bullhorn with a built in siren. We used to go speeding to calls, going through red lights with the yellow flasher going, the window open with the bullhorn stuck outside. The "siren" sounded like a wounded cow! We're likely we didn't get killed!!
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                              I used to do volunteer work as an Emergency Medical Technician-First Responder for a suburb of Montreal. We had a red truck that looked like Squad 51 from the tv show Emergency!. When it would break down we would borrow a green pickup truck from the City Works department. It had a yellow flasher on top. We had a bullhorn with a built in siren. We used to go speeding to calls, going through red lights with the yellow flasher going, the window open with the bullhorn stuck outside. The "siren" sounded like a wounded cow! We're likely we didn't get killed!!
                              That sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke.
                              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                              -Lieutenant Commander Data
                              sigpic

Comment

For regular everyday patrol duties I think it looks unprofessional, however.

That's what I was saying.
                                I've been working as a Security Officer for almost 3 years. Worked for Wackenhut as a Custom Protection Officer (CPO) and Securitas where I was a SGT. and Site Supervisor. I am currently employed by Guardsmark. I have worked as security in a hospital dealing with Baker Acts, the Morgue, fire, etc and Beach Resorts dealing with Spring Breakers in Panama City, Florida and even worked as a uniformed Loss Prevention Officer in a major department store using CCTV....

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X