Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a PPO in California work as a security guard??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a PPO in California work as a security guard??

I was wondering if a person with a PPO can do work as a security guard? Does the PPO card act as a guard card? Thanks in advance.

Jason

To the best of my knowledge, no. If you are working for a different company, you must have a guard card. If you are armed, your firearms permit is attached to either the PPO or guard card. If you are working armed for a different company your firearm permit must be attached to your G card.
    "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
    (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

Comment

I don't know if PPO can "work" (W-2 Employee) for other PPO company as S/O.
      (I also don't know if PPO "Want to" work for other company as S/O. Especially if you are solo licensee, you are also Qualified Manager who passed PPO exam yourself.)
      but I think you can "Contract" (1099) with anybody include other PPO.
      Sometimes large company sub-contract to small PPO company or PPO individual (Solo licensee) and Sub-contracter(PPO) act as S/O but different pay because different license.

I have friend who is PPO licensee, when he need CCW S/O, he sub-contract to individual PPO whom has CCW.
      (He may want to contract with you too. Because most of active P/O don't have PPO, and he can't hire :W2 emplyee: them. he want just contract, but Guard card holder can't make contract. I know many active P/O make "contract" without PPO license but I think it's illegal)

I think you should contact with BSIS for sure.
      They respond very quick for your questions in e-mail.
      Last edited by Limo LA; 01-17-2008, 04:07 AM.
      Not many but few chauffeurs are armed to protect clients.

Comment

Originally posted by fifibag2 View Post
        Does the PPO card act as a guard card?

Jason
        when I was Guard, (Proprietary but I was armed so I needed to have Guard Card) my firearm and Baton card shows "must have valid Gaurd registration" on face of card, as you know.

After I got PPO (solo licensee), BSIS sent me new firearm and baton permit with replacing line from "Must have valid Guard Registration card" by "Must have valid PPO license" .

Because PPO card is NOT guard card.

If you haven't receive new firearm and baton permit with replaceing line "Must have valid PPO license" from BSIS, contact to them, they will send you new weapon permit linked to your PPO.
        (You need BSIS firearm permit for duty carry even you have CCW or HR218, as you may already know)
        Last edited by Limo LA; 01-17-2008, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Additional Info to fifibag2

I got letter (e-mail) answer from BSIS about your question.
          Owner of company, partner(if you have), company officer(CFO, COO, Vice President if you have one), Qualified Manager (company must have one) receive PPO card.

But only QM (Qualified Manager) PPO can work as security officer.
          (I bet you are QM of company, Because you wrote that you took exam. I'm QM and PPO myself,too)

other PPO in company have to have Guard card if they want to stand on post (Security work).

QM PPO can do security work for other (contracted) company.
          Other PPO (non QM PPO) can't. Only QM PPO or Guard Card can do actual security work.

Also, they(Non-QM PPO) have to be "W-2 Employee" to the company which they perform security work.
          (You can hire ONLY W-2 employee security in your company. not 1099-misc contractors. even they work only two days in the whole year)

Bottom line is
          You (as QM) can take contract job from other Security Company and you can perform job yourself.
          If you want to be Employee of other company, you have to have Guard Card.
          Other PPO (Non-QM) In your company have to have Guard Card to do actual security work (other company or own company).
          Non-QM PPO have to be "W-2 Employee" because he work with Guard Card.
          No Guard Card are allowed to work as 1099-misc. Guard have to be W2 Employee.
          Those are answer from BSIS.
          Last edited by Limo LA; 01-20-2008, 03:54 AM.

Comment

ppo related

Hello Guys, Im new to the froum , Im studying for the PPO in Ca , i wanted to know if there special sections that i have to focus on , If some one would help me out with how the test material is and what is to be asked in the exam

thank you guys
            S/O 2000-2008
            Owner/qualified manager
            Prime Star Private Security
            In the process
            in getting private
            security company started

Comment

Originally posted by HANICO View Post
              Hello Guys, Im new to the froum , Im studying for the PPO in Ca , i wanted to know if there special sections that i have to focus on , If some one would help me out with how the test material is and what is to be asked in the exam

thank you guys
              If you have paid the fees, then BSIS will send you all the study materials that you will be tested on.
              The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

www.patrol4u.com

sigpic

Comment

i did and i have the study materials, I cant get no help how hard is the test , or what to focus on ?? is it close to power of arrest test? give me some help here guys?
                S/O 2000-2008
                Owner/qualified manager
                In the process
                in getting private
                security company started

Comment

At Exam site, you will use computer to chose right answer out of four samples.
                  I think it will be 100 questions and you will pass if 75 or more right answers.

You may not bring anything to exam room (even piece of paper,Cell phone, anything) and you may not bring back anything from Exam room.
                  (They will give you piece of paper but you can not take it with you after exam)
                  So, I don't remember much (So as other CA PPO members) , but Questions were from wide area.
                  Government code to Penal code, B&P code, even medical related question.
                  If you can get 100% perfect answer for Power of Arrest exam, you may still fail to PPO Exam.
                  (PoA related subject is less than half of PPO related subject)

Best bet is study with BSIS material in all related section of PPO on B&P code.
                  (But remember, it will not be only B&P code, it will come form Labor code, Government code, PC, etc)
                  if licensee disease, who and how someone take company ? or nobody ?
                  if QM released from company, when do you have to report to BSIS ?
                  if you release your employee, do you have to report to BSIS? if so, in how many days?
                  Some questions were very easy like Power of Arrest.
                  if your employee arrest someone and it was un-lawfull arrest, who will face civil and criminal liability? S/O? you ? Client? or all of them ?
                  some questions were tricky.
                  What equipment you should use for life saving situation?
                  I thought anything could be right equipment depend on situation.

I did not receive right or wrong outcome, I received only score.
                  So, I still don't know which of my answers were wrong.

All I can say is that It would come from wide area, not only security related (B&P, PC) questions but also business related (Labor, Civil,etc) questions.

If you fail, send re-exam request to BSIS with $40 or $60 (not sure but less than $100, of course not full $500).
                  It may take 2 to 3 weeks to schedule re-exam.
                  Last edited by Limo LA; 01-31-2008, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Limo thanks alot for your advice and thats all i need to know about the other codes like labor and medcial and all that , and yeah im sure POA is nothing comapred to PPO , so wish me luck guys and i will keep you informed Ive been studying for 2 weeks now
                    S/O 2000-2008
                    Owner/qualified manager
                    In the process
                    in getting private
                    security company started

Comment

Good luck and don't forget for new permit

Good luck HANICO, and don't forget to contact (phone or e-mail) BSIS after your get PPO license.
                      (After you pass exam, you receive notice from BSIS, then you will have to send them $700 license fee and copy of your new company's patch and Badge to get approval. then they will send you license (letter size for wall display) then after few days or weeks, you will receive PPO pocket card. it takes little more time to receive PPO card after you pass exam )

I don't think they will automatically re-link your Firearm and Baton permit to your new PPO # unless you ask them to do so.

if you don't contact them (Request them), your Firearm and Baton permit still link to your Guard Card and you must carry Guard Card to legally carry Baton and Firearm (because permit show "must possess Valid Guard registration"

if you request, they will send you free new Baton and Firearm permit with "Must have valid PPO license" instead of your old " Must possesses a valid guard registration card"
                      Last edited by Limo LA; 02-01-2008, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X