Professional courtesy for a traffic ticket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
    I don't know how reserves in WA work, but here in MN, reserves can not enforce criminal law or moving violations. Reserves here are pretty much volunteer community service officers and can't even carry handguns while on duty...
    Reserves in Washington are authorized to enforce any WA State law that a full time officer can enforce. To put it simply, the difference between a Reserve and a fulltimer in WA is a paycheck.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Lawson, do you receive any nominal payment/benefits? Around here the reserve police are paid a salary of $1 per anum in order to fufill technicalities about being employed in law enforcement. It is also some kind of requirement for the city to insure them. I believe the same holds true for our volunteer fire-fighters, because state law requires you to be employeed and insured by a fire brigade to test for Fire Fighter Class II.
      "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
        Lawson, do you receive any nominal payment/benefits? Around here the reserve police are paid a salary of $1 per anum in order to fufill technicalities about being employed in law enforcement. It is also some kind of requirement for the city to insure them. I believe the same holds true for our volunteer fire-fighters, because state law requires you to be employeed and insured by a fire brigade to test for Fire Fighter Class II.
        No, payment is up to specific agencies in WA, however, they have to decide to pay per hour or not pay at all. A lot of agencies used to pay for certain OT details, but not for patrol, or they would pay for an officer to cover a sick call in but not for other patrol, etc...

The attorney general finally dropped the hammer and said this was a labor violation and you either had to pay or not pay.

My agency cut pay all together and now we only get a $250-$400 "uniform allowance" per year that is strictly for purchase of uniform parts.
        Last edited by Lawson; 01-09-2008, 11:35 PM.
        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Usually this is due to a law that states " for the purposes of X, a law enforcement officer is defined as a paid full-time or part-time law enforcement officer in the employ of a government agency." These laws are usually influenced to keep private security from being used as police, or to prevent towns hiring one full-time Chief and 10 non-paid "reserve" officers.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
            No, payment is up to specific agencies in WA, however, they have to decide to pay per hour or not pay at all. A lot of agencies used to pay for certain OT details, but not for patrol, or they would pay for an officer to cover a sick call in but not for other patrol, etc...

The attorney general finally dropped the hammer and said this was a labor violation and you either had to pay or not pay.

My agency cut pay all together and now we only get a $250-$400 "uniform allowance" per month that is strictly for purchase of uniform parts.
            Thats one hell of a "uniform allowance", are you sure thats per month, and not per year?
            ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
              Thats one hell of a "uniform allowance", are you sure thats per month, and not per year?
              In 1976 I got $1,200 per year. I worked plainclothes LE.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Oops, per year.
                "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                  In 1976 I got $1,200 per year. I worked plainclothes LE.
                  Thats a very generous allowance, especially due to the inflation adjustment.
                  ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

In the traffic stops that I have been the stopped vehicle in, and have not been cited, I personally believe that my actions and demeanor in the interaction between the officer and myself have been the defining factor.

I typically have some duty gear, wether it's a duty cap, uniform, belt, what have you... inside my vehicles.. just a byproduct of the job, I have junk spread out. I don't purposely conspicously place it trying to get off... and I try my best to obey the law.

I just pull over in a safe area, providing a safer spot for the officer to perform their duties. If that means I drive for a short distance 1/4 mile or less to pull over on a less busy street, I will do it... I shut my vehicle down. Turn on interior lights if it's nighttime so they can see what's going on inside the vehicle. Keep my hands on the steering wheel. When they come up to my window, I inform them that I'm carrying and where the weapon is on my person because it's state law to do so. I'm either instructed to hand it to them, handle first, or simply to keep my hands away from there. I then give them the paperwork and identification they request.

MP's, City police, and State troopers have given me warnings about various things... once for lights out, i had been offroad and my wiring developed a short. The officer was even kind enough to let me try to fix it right there since he had some damn good takedowns on the rig and a duty light for me to be able to try to get it to function again.

Of course, it might also help that my drivers license still has a photo of me in military uniform and my post address, I have a star of life on one of my vehicles, veteran plates on both vehicles...

One traffic stop for my offroad rig actually culminated in a simple warning and an invitation to apply for the city PD reserve force, and a compliment on my choice of sidearm... We ended up bs'ing on the roadside for about 5 minutes because I was headed for a offroad rescue for a friend who was broke down on a trail, and I was equipped for the trail... HK on me, AR and 870 in the rifle rack on the cucv...

The only professional courtesty I expect is a courteous police officer in return for me being a compliant and courteous individual in question. Nothing more... if I'm in the wrong, I fully expect a ticket although I appreciate warnings if it's something I can do better or didn't know about.
                    Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                      Usually this is due to a law that states " for the purposes of X, a law enforcement officer is defined as a paid full-time or part-time law enforcement officer in the employ of a government agency." These laws are usually influenced to keep private security from being used as police, or to prevent towns hiring one full-time Chief and 10 non-paid "reserve" officers.
                      I do not mean to hijack this thread, but...
                      I make it a habit or perusing the want ads every week, just to see what is out there. One week last July I was looking through them and I found an ad that simply said: Part Time Police Chief, $13.00 p/h, followed by and address and date that I cannot recall off hand. No requirements were listed.
                      Of course I could not resist so I asked my girlfriend (a local) where this town was, as I had never heard of it. When I found out how near it was I drove out there on my next day off to hand deliver my resume and cover letter.
                      Upon arrival I stopped at one of the local establishments to find out where the city hall was located and to get a feel for the town. The ad simply listed a post office box as the address for the resumes.
                      I mentioned the ad to some of the people there and they told me that they had a volunteer police force, but they were not sure who it consisted of. They went on to say that they had never met or seen any of these officers, and that when they needed police assistance they called the Sheriff’s office.
                      "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Thats a very generous allowance, especially due to the inflation adjustment.
                        We were required to wear suits and buy our own weapons.
                        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X