Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcutta Officials Seek to Employ Private Security to Replace Police

Calcutta, India:
    The trade hub of Burrabazar is discussing employing private security on a major scale after a rash of crime involving armed robberies and violent crimes. The police are being blamed in this case for not doing their jobs since the public is not seeing results quickly enough if at all for these cases.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/106020...ry_5816323.asp
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Originally posted by 1stWatch
    Calcutta, India:
    The trade hub of Burrabazar is discussing employing private security on a major scale after a rash of crime involving armed robberies and violent crimes. The police are being blamed in this case for not doing their jobs since the public is not seeing results quickly enough if at all for these cases.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/106020...ry_5816323.asp
    From what I understand, in Europe, Securitas is a premier provider of town marshal's and other law enforcement officers for small towns and villages who cannot afford full time police services.

I also seem to remember that a town in the US replaced their police force with a security company. The IACP, FOP, and PBA went insane. The security force lasted a month or so, before State Police were ordered to respond to the township's calls for service. They were eventually required to hire back the police department under terms that were extremely favorable to the union.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      From what I understand, in Europe, Securitas is a premier provider of town marshal's and other law enforcement officers for small towns and villages who cannot afford full time police services.

I also seem to remember that a town in the US replaced their police force with a security company. The IACP, FOP, and PBA went insane. The security force lasted a month or so, before State Police were ordered to respond to the township's calls for service. They were eventually required to hire back the police department under terms that were extremely favorable to the union.
      This being India and there being a prominence of class A personalities, it seems this move is being done to spite the public police agencies and does cost the business owners more to employ. I can foresee a lot of friction between the security forces and police because of this issue.
      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Having been to India, I can only hope that the guards would be more professional and well-paid than the police. I remember being stopped at police 'checkpoints' everywhere we went, and having to pay bribes to pass. They would even make change! I asked (through the interpreter we had hired) a cop how much money they made, the reply was something like $1.50 a day on the official salary, at a time when we were paying our interpreter $20.00 a day. The police were also very poorly equipped and uniformed in what looked more like hand-me-downs than issued clothing.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X