ideal uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideal uniform

Just wondering if you guys could choose which type of uniform you wore, what would it be? Please include the type of site you work at too.
    If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

I work for a public safety department at a private college. We work 8 hour shifts and have 12 officers. We must wear Class A uniforms at all times since it is a very expensive college, and "highly valued"($$) guests are on campus at any given time. We wear white shirts with black pants. I personally hate the uniform because the white shirt gets dirty as soon as it is put on. It reminds me of a hospital orderly! My favorite uniform that I have seen for security is this:

Dark navy blue shirt with french blue epaulets. French blue pants with a navy stripe down the side with 2 slightly darker blue pinstripes on each side of the navy stripe.

It looked very sharp. They also had high gloss sam browns and equipment.

Comment

The Navy blue and French blue is a good looking uniform. The one problem with that uniform is combination is the cost. Generally, they cost double then a more customary uniform. My department used to wear a two tone blue uniform but went with all Navy blue for that reason. If cost isn’t a concern, you might propose that uniform. A campaign hat would accentuate it nicely.
      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
      -Lieutenant Commander Data
      sigpic

Comment

Uniforms

Tennsix...the only thing my campaign cover accentuated nicely was the trash can. So glad I no longer work for a company that requires those silly things.

I actually prefer a more tactical uniform. Then again, I rarely come in contact with the paying public at a site and my job is rarely to be seen as friendly to those I meet. The tactical style tends to be more comfortable and practical for what I do. Mine consists of black BDU's and Grey police-style button down shirts and black "combat" boots.

If I were to choose one that was not tactical, I prefer the dark brown pants/slacks with the tan shirts.

In a perfect world, I would be plain clothes in my "redneck tuxedo." Blue jeans, boots, and a black blazer. I guess as soon as I renew my PPO license, I will wear that again.

Comment

My ideal uniform would consist of:
          Tan shirt with Forest green Epalauts/ Flaps (button down w/ Zipper)
          Forest Green pants with Black stripe
          Black Boots
          Leather Duty Gear
          Forest Green Campaign hat

Anyone familiar with Tennessee will recognize this as the State Trooper Uniform. I work in Corrections, but wish we had a professional uniform as well. I can't stand our inmate made grey shirts, Black (dark blue???) BDU pants, and Nylon/ metal duty equipment
          "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

All black is what we wear. Outer vest carriers are optional. It would be nice to have a baseball cap, but so far the Director won't go for it. We only wear the 8 point hat for funerals, too many physical altercations here for it to actually stay on your head more then 10 minutes. Not to mention smart-a$$ staff that would knock it off your head for fun...
            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

I am probably the only one who thinks this way, but I personally prefer just a blazer and slacks. For some reason, I just don't enjoy dressing like a cop when I know that I am not one. I also think the "professional look" gives security personnel more credibility as far as image is concerned, but I'm sure most others will disagree.

Erik
              111th PAPD Class
              Bravo Platoon 4th Squad

Comment

I did alot of research into uniforms when I had my own company as cost vs comfort plus look vs user-friendly came into consideration. 90% of S/O's do 12 hours minimum so you need something that looks good after 12 hours on a 115f day or for dealing with clients who may be frustrated about something and are ready to get answers. During the 2000 games we had uniforms made locally and then over 10,000 shirts made overseas which were like saunas. When you see men with a 30" chest withs shirts for a size 60" chest, it really looked stupid as people to ignore these baggy shirted people.

Our police have gone to the BDU's which make them practical with all the gear they need to carry and I had most of my patrol staff in BDU's or overalls which meant they were practical and could minimise the heat in summer. I think it needs to be practical but witnessing this during the Xmas sales of a uniformed S/O in tie and shirt with the sleeves rolled up - looked very unprofessional.
                "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I wear business casual attire and like it a lot. In a corporate setting it works well. In a setting like a hospital, I do like the all black uniforms. I think that looks pretty squared away.

When I worked hospital security I wore a light blue shirt over navy pants. That look was pretty sharp as well. But we got confused with the police all the time since that is what they wore.

I am kind of a uniform "snob" of sorts. I think all the gear should match perfectly. I think it looks a little rinky dink when an officer has a couple of nylon carriers on a leather belt or mixes in the faux leather mirage type gear with regular leather. I even have seen different leather finishes such as all basketweave except for a plain leather glove holder or knife sheath.

I think campaign hats go a bit far and can look cheesy. Although I personally consider the ball cap look to be very unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                    I wear business casual attire and like it a lot. In a corporate setting it works well. In a setting like a hospital, I do like the all black uniforms. I think that looks pretty squared away.

When I worked hospital security I wore a light blue shirt over navy pants. That look was pretty sharp as well. But we got confused with the police all the time since that is what they wore.

I am kind of a uniform "snob" of sorts. I think all the gear should match perfectly. I think it looks a little rinky dink when an officer has a couple of nylon carriers on a leather belt or mixes in the faux leather mirage type gear with regular leather. I even have seen different leather finishes such as all basketweave except for a plain leather glove holder or knife sheath.

I think campaign hats go a bit far and can look cheesy. Although I personally consider the ball cap look to be very unprofessional.

Ball caps are very unprofessional for a security/police officer in my opinion. I'm also what you would call a uniform snob (Nazi). Everything on the duty belt needs to be the same finish, and all officers should also wear the same finish as well.
                    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

I agree with Corpsec on the ballcap. IMHO Ballcaps are for running around, street gear, not for a professional uniform.
                      "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

I disagree. Ballcaps are a commonplace now and do not take away from the professionalism of the uniform.

Remember... there was a day when anything less than dress shoes were considered unprofessional looking. Boots with a police/security style uniform was almost unheard of.

Times change and so do styles.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Well you hat haters will like to know that my hospital, durring the uniform change, is not going to allow ball caps anymore. I've worn one everyday for the just under 2 years I've worked there. The 2 days that I didn't wear it... the SHTF. My charge officer even told me not to not wear my hat anymore.

Right now we wear French Blue shirts with a silver shield and Dark navy pants and basketweave duty belts. All of our snaps and accents must be silver.

They are changing the uniform to: Summer, White Polo's with embrodered logo on the left breast, dark navy pants, and the same gear. Our shelds are being taken from us because of the hospital admin. In the winter, we must all wear long sleeved uniform shirts with Navy ties, and the dark navy pants and same gear.

I hate the idea of a seasonal uniform that is manditory. It doesn't take into account the officer's comfort at all. Most of the time I'm working in the ER and sometimes have to go hands on with a drunk or pysch. Its not fun being in a small and very hot room wrestling with someone for several minutes with sweat dripping down your face. Oh well what do I know... I just work here.
                          "You gotta look like Rico Suave, Think like Einstein and, only if that fails...fight like Tyson." -Dougo83's FTO

Me- "Should we call the police?" My FTO- "Justin, here, we are the police. Go get em."

Originally posted by Black Caesar
                          some people just need killin!!!!! (Or Tasing, or pepper spraying or whatever).

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                            I disagree. Ballcaps are a commonplace now and do not take away from the professionalism of the uniform.

Remember... there was a day when anything less than dress shoes were considered unprofessional looking. Boots with a police/security style uniform was almost unheard of.

Times change and so do styles.
                            It is strictly a matter of opinion. In our society, ballcaps carry a very casual reputation. I think a uniform should convey an air of authority. It is my belief that a ballcap doesn't accomplish that at all.

I polled all the officers on my shift and to a man they all thought ballcaps looked unprofessional. Their ages range all over the map. I know that styles do have a way of changing, I just don't think the time has come for ballcaps.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
                              , I just don't think the time has come for ballcaps.
                              Come to the Pacific NW and you will see much differently. I think every officer in my department has a baseball cap.
                              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X