Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light colors on security vehicle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    amber forward, blue/amber rear... semi-standard DOT lighting setup...

    I have seen security rigs in town with green and/or amber though.

    Blue to the rear is legal, red or blue forward is illegal unless you're fire/ems/vol. fire/PD etc... state DOT rigs run blue/amber all the way around.

    I run amber strobes to the rear on one of my POV's for safety because I pull people out of ditches plus do SAR with that vehicle as well... figure adding visibility won't hurt anything.... eventually will transition to LED's when I have the cash.
    Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Alaska Security View Post
      amber forward, blue/amber rear... semi-standard DOT lighting setup...

      I have seen security rigs in town with green and/or amber though.

      Blue to the rear is legal, red or blue forward is illegal unless you're fire/ems/vol. fire/PD etc... state DOT rigs run blue/amber all the way around.

      I run amber strobes to the rear on one of my POV's for safety because I pull people out of ditches plus do SAR with that vehicle as well... figure adding visibility won't hurt anything.... eventually will transition to LED's when I have the cash.
      Alaska Security,

      I am really interested in all this concerning displaying blue lights to the rear. I was under the impression from 13 AAC 04.100 that blue lights on vehicles were restricted to government purposes. (POLICE, FIRE, EMS, STATE DOT, LOCAL GOVERNMENTS). If Doyon (I am assuming that you work for them because you talk about guarding the big pipe) has found a loophole in this please let me know.

      Thanks,
      Justice_Hound

      Take a look @
      http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section100.htm
      We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
      -George Orwell

      Comment


      • #48
        blue lights forward are restricted, blue to the rear isn't, just like red flashing to the rear isn't restricted... otherwise hazard lights would be illegal on 90% of vehicles on the road today.

        our bars wigwag blue, with amber strobes. Perfectly legal otherwise we wouldn't have em.. and with as many ret. LEO's we have I don't see us doing anything outside the boundaries of state law.

        Plus, if we respond to anything we're not going "code 3" it's for warning if we're at anything hazardous, responding to a company vehicle involved in an incident, and general traffic safety if required. Unless convoying for some reason, we're stationary if they are on.
        Last edited by Alaska Security; 01-10-2008, 07:35 AM.
        Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Alaska Security View Post
          Blue to the rear is legal, red or blue forward is illegal unless you're fire/ems/vol. fire/PD etc... state DOT rigs run blue/amber all the way around.
          I have an overnight Officer, who happens to drive a retired PD crown vic complete with red/blue lights; I had to review a night time surveillance tape in which he was recorded (2:00 am, empty parking garage), investigating a smashed out elevator alcove door... The tape showed him pulled up to the door, out of the vehicle investigating with his flashlight, and red lights flashing from his POV...

          Methinks I'm gonna have to talk to him about that before South Burlington PD does...
          “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
          "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

          Comment


          • #50
            Legalities aside, I wonder why he thought it was necessary to run the lights.
            I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
            -Lieutenant Commander Data
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by flashlightcop509 View Post
              I have an overnight Officer, who happens to drive a retired PD crown vic complete with red/blue lights; I had to review a night time surveillance tape in which he was recorded (2:00 am, empty parking garage), investigating a smashed out elevator alcove door... The tape showed him pulled up to the door, out of the vehicle investigating with his flashlight, and red lights flashing from his POV...

              Methinks I'm gonna have to talk to him about that before South Burlington PD does...

              BIG note: state law varies. I know Alaska state law. I could care less what those states beneath me do.
              Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

              Comment


              • #52
                Lights

                I work at the other end of the pipeline from AlaskaSecurity and several of our vehicles have red and blue light bars.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Here in Vt, anything other than red / blue for vehicles unless law enforcement is a no no....

                  He's a new guy, and expectedly, kinda excited about things that go wrong, but even on private property, anything other than amber, clear, or green, or any combination of, can be construed as impersonating...
                  “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                  "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Alaska Security View Post
                    blue lights forward are restricted, blue to the rear isn't, just like red flashing to the rear isn't restricted... otherwise hazard lights would be illegal on 90% of vehicles on the road today.

                    our bars wigwag blue, with amber strobes. Perfectly legal otherwise we wouldn't have em.. and with as many ret. LEO's we have I don't see us doing anything outside the boundaries of state law.

                    Plus, if we respond to anything we're not going "code 3" it's for warning if we're at anything hazardous, responding to a company vehicle involved in an incident, and general traffic safety if required. Unless convoying for some reason, we're stationary if they are on.
                    I'm not trying to sound like a broken record here and I can't speak for you, but driving in private vehicle displaying blue lights on public roads would definately make me feel nervous. If the vehicle is being used to respond to medical emergencies (i.e. the only person assigned to the vehicle is an Alaska certified ETT or EMT) it is covered under 13 AAC 04.100. If this is not the case simply driving on the roads with the blue lights warrants a citation in Alaska.

                    Take a look @
                    http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst...section100.htm

                    I am going to look into this further and will post my findings.

                    Stay Safe,
                    Justice_Hound
                    Last edited by Justice_Hound; 01-11-2008, 12:19 AM.
                    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
                    -George Orwell

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Every guard is an ETT.

                      Vehicles are provided by contracting company, have a DOT registration, and in all reality I don't really care!

                      If it was an issue with state law it would have already been addressed bro!

                      My supervisors are retired high ranking troopers, police officers.. my coworkers are all ex-LEO or ex-military to a one.

                      Then again, this company also is the only private company that is part of the state anti-terrorism task force...


                      Touchandgo has been cited as a unreliable source for code information, says my anchorage DA friend... just a FYI
                      Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Pardon my ignorance but what is an ETT?
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Tennsix View Post
                          Legalities aside, I wonder why he thought it was necessary to run the lights.
                          Same. The idea is to, you know, investigate the area. Not to play with your blue lights.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

                          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Tennsix View Post
                            Legalities aside, I wonder why he thought it was necessary to run the lights.
                            Even though he's mistaken, he probably thought it would make him as cool as I am.
                            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                            "The Curve" 1998

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              HotelSecurity: Emergency Trauma Technician, basically first responder training. I'm also an EMT, and sub-paramedic in actual operational knowledge, just don't know Cardio other than "that EKG don't look right"
                              Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                I knew this thread was gonna go downhill from the time it was posted...
                                If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

                                "People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X