Interview attire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview attire

This is probably a silly question, but I'm just a young college student with not that much experience with "real world politics", and I guess this is a good place to ask.

Tomorrow morning, I am interviewing for an LP position at a major (national chain) upscale mall anchor clothing store. Now, all of my previous jobs (fast food, I.T., bigbox retail, contract security) have been very casual, and I usually just wore a button shirt, nice jeans, and brown casual loafers to those interviews.

Basically, what should I wear? A friend told me to wear a standard suit, but I think that might be a little much for this type of job. Then again, I'm not sure if my typical interview attire is enough/appropriate. Thoughts? (especially from LP hiring managers)
    Last edited by Just_Some_Guy; 12-27-2007, 12:01 AM.

My suggestion... wear a suit.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I dress pretty much the same for all my interviews, better to over dress then under dress.

Dress pants, nice dress shirt, a jacket if you really want to make an impression (full suit ALWAYS looks great), a solid or light design tie (dont go in there with the light up tie that plays songs...) some nice shoes, do your hair up nice, and last but certainly not least bring a positive attitude and a smile.

Comment

I'd say definately go with at least a dress shirt, tie and some nice slacks w/dress shoes. ALWAYS have a positive attitude as well...you'll do fine
        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

I hope I made my point?

Unless you can give a good reason not to wear one,

WEAR A SUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Did I make that too subtle?

Comment

First impressions are lasting impressions, therefore wear a suit. I once interviewed at a Kmart store, and the manager stated that I, was the only person that came dressed. All others came in jeans, street attire, etc.
            "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

A suit is always standard for job interviews.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I have been on interview panels and one's appearance can make a world of difference. You can't go wrong with a suit. Well, unless you wear white socks.
                I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                -Lieutenant Commander Data
                sigpic

Comment

If you really think a suit would be major overkill, a compromise between "business casual" and a "suit" would be a sports coat, slacks, tie and dress shoes. No white socks!
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

The appropriate attire for almost every interview is a business suit. There is only one exception to this, and that is the software engineering field. Since that doesn't apply to you, you need to dress for success.

In addition to that, learn to tie a Full-Windsor knot. A four-in-hand is only acceptable for the military and a Half-Windsor knot is not appropriate for a suit.

Here is a good tutorial on tie knots: http://www.tieguide.com/windsor.htm
                    -Jedi-
                    Semper Paratus

Comment

Yes a tie always. Perhaps a tie and sweater.
                      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Dark suit and conservative tie. I really never consider an applicant who doesn't put some effort into how they dress.
                        Last edited by Minneapolis Security; 12-29-2007, 01:41 PM.
                        ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Thanks all, will remember this for the future. It felt a bit silly walking into the store in a suit, but the interview went well and it seems I have a decent shot at becoming an LP associate for this store.

Comment

Long ago on Sunday Nights driving to work, Doctor Ruth the
                            Sex Therapist always said to wear clean underwear at a job interview
                            Never knew what that crazy lady meant by that statement, but you never know.
                            http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Dress to impress!!!!

I couldn't agree more. Wear a suit and tie. Last Tuesday, I was at Operations for a Command Staff Meeting. I walked through HR, and I observed a individual wearing summer shorts, a sleeveless shirt wearing a NY Yankee ball cap on backwards on top of his head. GGRRRRR!!!!!!

Be safe,

Hank
                              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X