Laundering/Cleaning uniforms post-employment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laundering/Cleaning uniforms post-employment

I was wondering what you guys do with uniforms and other clothing (jackets, etc) that you get back from a Security Officer who has quit or otherwise left your company. Who cleans them? As a Shift Supervisor, part of my job is the equipment ordering and inventory.

I ask my officers to wash them before they turn them in when they resign. Fat chance. That never happens . I end up taking them home with me, washing them as best as I can (pre-treat, scrub, etc) and return them to the inventory if they can be cleaned. If they look awful with permanent stains after washing, they are stripped of the patches and the uniform is destroyed while the patches get sent to our uniform people for re-use.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
    I was wondering what you guys do with uniforms and other clothing (jackets, etc) that you get back from a Security Officer who has quit or otherwise left your company. Who cleans them? As a Shift Supervisor, part of my job is the equipment ordering and inventory.

I ask my officers to wash them before they turn them in when they resign. Fat chance. That never happens . I end up taking them home with me, washing them as best as I can (pre-treat, scrub, etc) and return them to the inventory if they can be cleaned. If they look awful with permanent stains after washing, they are stripped of the patches and the uniform is destroyed while the patches get sent to our uniform people for re-use.
    We have a contract with a local dry cleaner. We call them they come pick them up.

We do the same as you if they are nasty, rip em up and in the trash they go.
    SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

A signed paper of legal liability and associated costs ALONG with the condition of LAST paycheck goes a long way, even with dirt bags. I just got a new 2X winter jacket that I had to wear for a shift that smelled like a 'funky monkey', to show my appreciation to all concerned. After washing though, its much better now. Turnover and uniforms is a significant overhead that should be managed, but it is very hard in this industry.

Security is one of the poorest managed industries, with almost EVERY Supervisor UNIFORMLY screwing workers with declining wage structures: and losing their good Officers in the process. There is a predominant hard-core 'Greedy' Supervisor mold laced with stupidity. It doesn't take much to keep good people though. But it takes even less to lose them, along with the high turnover costs associated with hiring and training.

The biggest problem I've seen is treating all people the same way, because its easy and they are lazy. At least its only a couple of months to build up seniority, ha-ha.

Comment

My officers do sign a form on the back of their inventory sheet. Corporate wont enforce it though. I guess it doesn't go a long way

Just like the waiver they sign to use a company vehicle, like our patrol cars. An officer just backed it into a fence, causing the left-rear panel to buckle and seperate. The waiver says you will pay the $500.00 deductable, if any within 7 days or it will be deducted from your paycheck if you are at fault in any crash or accident. This probably wont be enforced either. My report on this remains incomplete as I need more information before I submit it.
        "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

"Security is one of the poorest managed industries, with almost EVERY Supervisor UNIFORMLY screwing workers with declining wage structures: and losing their good Officers in the process. There is a predominant hard-core 'Greedy' Supervisor mold laced with stupidity."

I think the type of things you are talking about might take place at a corporate or branch manager level, but not in the trenches at the supervisor level.

While what you speak of might be the case in your area, I can't say that it is the case here in Minnesota.

Comment

Our personnel pay a bond for each item at the time of issue and upon their cessation they are required to return their uniforms in a Dry Cleaned state, if the uniforms come back dirty the cost of laundering is deducted. The bond is to ensure the return more than the guarantee of clean items.

Comment

We don't wear uniforms but the hotel does buy the full time Officers 2 black suits with 3 shirts. We supply our own ties (usually clip-on). We have free dry cleaning with the company that cleans the guest's dry cleaning they send out.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

When I worked for Vector we would be charged pre determined prices if the uniforms were not returned clean. Intrepid wants the uniforms dry cleaned before they are returned and will charge you for the cleaning if they are not. St Moritz, the uniform is 'well worn'. The brass zipper is well tarnished and the rubber 'shirt keeper' on the waist line is falling off. Never wore those pants, never will. Allied takes a uniform deposit but I do not remember if uniforms must be cleaned before their return. I have been lucky that I have only received NEW uniforms from the company, certainly very nice!

Non security, CVS DOES NOT take back uniform polo shirts from ex-employees, it's considerd unsanitary.

Comment

My company takes out a cleaning deposit from our first check. When I quit I just turn in my stuff as is. They can use the deposite to dry clean them.
                  Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I was once ordered to store a uniform received at the office for burning. As in, "DO NOT SIT... THOSE... ANYWHERE NEAR ME OR THE UNIFORMS. THROW IT IN A BAG AND BURN IT."
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

One company I worked for insisted on pressed and cleaned uniform components and charged me $20.00 US for dry cleaning the $500.00 US 3 season coat which was so legendary that I bought my own which was fair enough. I have seen ties come back with white stains on them and do know 1 person who use his tie as toilet paper before handing it to the operations manager for inventory collection. Running my own show I would issue myself a new shirt if I did not want to wash or iron anything if I had to fill in. Missing uniform components are where the biggest losses are together with patches being passed on to dishonest people. Uniforms are mandatory free issue here under the award agreements.
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X