our radios got stolen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions-questions-questions

I'm not quite sure what the end of the original thread post says, but you didn't say if it was a forced entry to get into the office, or if there was no sign of forced entry.

Secondly, was anything else taken (interesting things would include any personnel records, specific employee personal property, ect).

Thirdly, was there any vandalism to the office, and what was it.

Have any messages been heard on the remaining radio's indicating the suspect(s) have been using the stolen radio's? If so, do the voices on the radio's sound familiar?

Was the crime reported to the Police? Were the serial numbers given to the Police so the items could be entered into the nationwide stolen property systems?

Comment

Guys and gals help me out here. Somewhere I read if any communications equipment is stolen, it is to be immediately reported to police in the jurisdiction where the theft occurred and subsequently to the local representative of the Department of Homeland Security. Is my understanding correct?
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
        Guys and gals help me out here. Somewhere I read if any communications equipment is stolen, it is to be immediately reported to police in the jurisdiction where the theft occurred and subsequently to the local representative of the Department of Homeland Security. Is my understanding correct?
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill
        Mr Warnock, I think you are correct and they should report the theft to the Dept of Homeland Security.

God Bless
        MSP Officer
        GOT A PROBLEM? ODDS AGAINST YOU? CALL THE EQUALIZER! The Equalizer (MSPOfficer) is a former agent of a shadowy, unnamed government agency, who is trying to make up for the unspoken sins of his past. His atonement comes in the form of an advertisement in the New York Yellow Pages that features the above quote. McCall uses his finely honed skills, and occasionally, the agents and...

Comment

I worked a contract account once where there wasn't 24 hour coverage. At the end of the overnight shift, the radio was put into this equipment room that quite a few people had access to.

Well, one night the radio turned up missing and the idiot was bugging us all night on it. The frustrating thing was that we knew he was very close. We had a building a mile away that we could not talk to unless we used the repeater channel. In trying to get some location info out of the guy, we where talking to him on our non repeater channel. So, the guy was within a mile.

I called the cops right away and they took it pretty seriously actually. One of the cops took one of our radios with him on patrol that night so he could monitor the conversation and see if the guy slipped up and said something that might give away his location.

We never did catch the guy or get our radio back. Thankfully he didn't have a charger so we only got bothered for the amount of time it took the radio to run out of juice.

Definitely report this to the cops. In addition to being a felony level theft there may also be some other implications as well.

Comment

if they're transmitting, get multiple radios split up n/s/e/w... log where you lose radio reception of them, pull out a street map and connect n/s and e/w and that vicinity is where he's hanging out at.

just a modified variation of aerial beacon location searching... but instead of moving one radio to do it, this method is faster provided you have the time and manpower to try to recoup the gear.. quick and dirty fox hunt vs having to use a yagi directional to try to pick it up...

If you have a directional antenna, just go to 2 known points and log the azimuth you pick up the transmissions from at each point... draw a line from the known pos on a map away at that az... X marks the spot, again...
            Alaska Security
            Last edited by Alaska Security; 12-26-2007, 03:39 PM.
            Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Security View Post
              if they're transmitting, get multiple radios split up n/s/e/w... log where you lose radio reception of them, pull out a street map and connect n/s and e/w and that vicinity is where he's hanging out at.

just a modified variation of aerial beacon location searching... but instead of moving one radio to do it, this method is faster provided you have the time and manpower to try to recoup the gear.. quick and dirty fox hunt vs having to use a yagi directional to try to pick it up...

If you have a directional antenna, just go to 2 known points and log the azimuth you pick up the transmissions from at each point... draw a line from the known pos on a map away at that az... X marks the spot, again...
              Alaska - Do you agree that a Ham Radio club would probably have the directional equipment, manpower & williness to help him?
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

As a ham I can tell you that if there are any active hams doing Fox Hunts in his area then contacting them would be a good idea. If he's in the USofA a good place to search out a local club would be to go here -> http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml and see what clubs are in the area. Then contact them and see if they can help.
                Hospital Security Officer

Comment

in all honesty I don't know, most hams have equipment tuned for their operating bands... some might though. I know I don't, which is why utilizing the 4 radio method of gross triangulation would be most effective.

You already have radios specific for that frequency, and if they're transmitting you can do it on your own. It's not that hard to do as long as you can keep them talking. Hence my posting of 2 different methods. You can even do the first one with a single radio if you have a supervisor or someone who is mobile and can be able to get 4 points of reception loss... then you cover the sphere of infulence of the radio and will get a generalized location... at least within a city block if not less.

We used this method with scanners overseas to locate individuals that needed a visit from black helicopters. it works...
                  Alaska Security
                  Last edited by Alaska Security; 12-26-2007, 07:11 PM.
                  Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

the brea police wa advise of the theft and a report was taken we did not have serial numbers
                    if you run, you will just go to jail tired

Comment

Where I worked once, an idiot took the patrol car offsite to get Pizza and left it unlocked with a portable radio, site keys and alarm control codes on the passenger seat. Keys and books were not touched but the portable radio was taken and the 12 volt battery charger as well. It shut down the whole company's network for weeks as we had been blasted with Arabic Music at every given chance. It wrecked havoc on the whole company and screwed up the company's ops. 1 staff member was fired for it and the other one SHOULD have been fired but used his union buddies to get off with a final warning. All it takes ................ and a network is shut down !!!
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

It happens to others too. I have heard the fire department pleading for "the person who took the radio, to leave it somewhere, call 9-1-1 saying where you left it & no charges will be laid".
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

May not be much help in this case, but if you are considering a new radio purchase, get a model that has the radio kill/stun feature.

This is the model we are planning to go with, http://www.icomamerica.com/en/produc...s/default.aspx

We are getting the IC-F43GT. It also has a feature called power on password, which requires a password when the unit is turned on.

The local radio shop is selling these for $250.00, plus $16.00/month per radio for repeater access.

Not a bad price for all the features.
                          ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Originally posted by airtight security officer View Post
                            the brea police wa advise of the theft and a report was taken we did not have serial numbers
                            In this day and age, it is hard to believe serial numbers were not recorded for at least "high dollar" items. Hopefully when new radios are purchased, property management might get the bold concept idea of recording the serial numbers and keeping those numbers in a safe location within the company's other valuable paperwork.
                            Enjoy the day,
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
                              In this day and age, it is hard to believe serial numbers were not recorded for at least "high dollar" items. Hopefully when new radios are purchased, property management might get the bold concept idea of recording the serial numbers and keeping those numbers in a safe location within the company's other valuable paperwork.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill
                              I agree with Mr Warnock, get the serial numbers next time.

God Bless
                              MSP Officer
                              GOT A PROBLEM? ODDS AGAINST YOU? CALL THE EQUALIZER! The Equalizer (MSPOfficer) is a former agent of a shadowy, unnamed government agency, who is trying to make up for the unspoken sins of his past. His atonement comes in the form of an advertisement in the New York Yellow Pages that features the above quote. McCall uses his finely honed skills, and occasionally, the agents and...

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
                                As a ham I can tell you that if there are any active hams doing Fox Hunts in his area then contacting them would be a good idea. If he's in the USofA a good place to search out a local club would be to go here -> http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/clubsearch.phtml and see what clubs are in the area. Then contact them and see if they can help.
                                That's using your noodle... the guys I know would take it in on more as a personal challenge (though you could toss in a little financial reward), while I'm more fond of the analogue meter than the later LCD/LED variations, I'd have to agree that an additional amplified field strength meter would certainly increase your search accuracy/efficiency immensely
                                "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X