Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can a client get a better quality security officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the company i am with right now pays about 1.00 per hr more on average then other companies in the area, they also have more knowledge able people, who care about the job they do, and whom are not the super cop wana be types, they also have a stricter hiring process, where as most companies in my area, you fill out an application, they interview you on the spot, this company makes you go through 2 interviews and their own inhouse background check. which in turns yields better quailty for better pay.
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

For a company to be really good, it need to have esprit de corp from the top down. You can have the best trained adn equipped officers in the world, but if the management is lackluster, or incompetent, or just plain does not care, it will filter down to the officers.

You need a well trained management team.
      You need to offer pay and benefits to attract quality people.
      You need a client who is aware of waht it takes to be a
      good officer, and is willing to pay for it.

The company I work for hires mostly good and well trained officers. But they care little for creating and esprit de corp, and some of the officers are not the best.

It takes forever to get an officer hired here. at least three months from application to hire.

Comment

Team Building and Esprit De Corps are usually overlooked in the contract security industry. Its like a staffing service, you are an individual - not a member of a team or unit.

Lets forget the police for a minute. Look how many organizational units in major firms have team building and esprit de corps. In the IT world, programming teams are just that... teams. They have identity.

"We are the User Interface Team for the Microsoft Vista Project."

They have a mission. They work towards that mission.

Whereas, what are you? (Not you, the general you.)

"I do security at a grocery store."

When your employees readily identify who they work for, you know you're on the right path.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I think that many people here have really valid points about what it takes to get better officers. From my perspective, the key ingrediants are:

1. Better Pay - I am, outside of government contracting, one of the higher paying security companies in Washington. Our starting rate for an entry level officer is $12.00-$12.15 per hour and tops out (this year) at $23.65/hr. In addition to an annual pay increase, which has generally averaged 3-6% for each of the last four years, we have a merit based pay structure, where pay is determined by a combination of longevity and training with longevity being the smallest component of the merit plan.

2. Training - I have found that the more training you provide, generally the better the quality of the officers you have out in the field. Washington State requires 8 hours of pre-assignment training (we generally, but not always, require a minimum of 12.75 hrs of pre-assignment and we generally top out at 44.75 hours of pre-assignment) then they require an additional 8 hours of post-assignment training and 4 hours of annual training. I have a few officers who are content to meet the States requirements, and we assign them accordingly and I have a pretty large number of officers averaging 30-70 (45 hours per year is the average) hours a year of on-going and refresher training as well as more than 20 officers who do 100+ hours per year (I have ten who exceeded 200 training hours in 2007). One of the things we find is that officers who seek out the training opportunities we provide have better bi-annual evaluation scores and are the ones that our clients most often send us positive comments about.

3. Good Equipment - Taking care of your officers is definately a big issue with us, A newly hired probationary officer is usuall sent out into Field Training with 3 long sleeve and three short sleeve shirts, three pairs of trousers, a trouser belt, patrol jacket, baseball cap, knit cap, commando sweater, double weight turtleneck, and reflective safety vest. Depending on the assignment we also add flashlights (generally assigned to each post not individual issue), rain coats, duty belts, oc (MK IV or MK IX), batons, handcuffs, ballistic vests, riot gear, handguns, tasers, shotguns and patrol rifles, traffic control gloves, whistles, etc. Uniforms and equipment is my third largest budget item after employee wages and training.

Comment

... better quality Security officers

You get what you pay for!!! Remember this first and foremost!! secondly if you don't train like you fight you will lose!!! a Few years ago We put all of our first line supervisery personnell through week of "Covey training" for mid level managers , customer satisfaction went through the roof about 3 months after the supervisors were back on the job and absenteeism went down, call offs went down, tardiness stopped, customer comment cards were suddenly fun to read, and more plentiful than ever. Not every one is a born leader, in fact very,very few are. Old army saying Lead follow or get out of the way! the Covey classes really made a difference in attitude more than any thing else and it worked for us. Basic inteligence must be the foundation for any job aplicant wearing a badge with or with out a gun.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X