Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ongoing and ever changing situation.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingsman
    replied
    I can sleep standing up. I have been able to since I was like four years old. It is a real pain when I fight falling asleep here at work.

Leave a comment:

• gixxer32404
    replied
    no offense, it's all good.I thought warm bodies slept 95percent of the shift though.

I can't sleep on duty, since the military. I've worked 24 + hour shifts w/ out sleep. have a super great day,I'm gonna go spy on a post, that I'mtrying to get employed on to see if it's all that. peace out!

Leave a comment:

• CAP
    replied
    There is no license to lose where we are...but you will definately lose your job. (I know people have different...ummm views.. on sleeping, dosing off, or whatever you want to call it when at work than I do. Let me offer a pre-apology if I OFFEND anyone on this forum about this topic.

Leave a comment:

• gixxer32404
    replied
    what part of fla. are u?

Leave a comment:

• gixxer32404
    replied
    sleeping on duty or abandonment of post

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    Lose your license for what ?

Leave a comment:

• gixxer32404
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    Yes sir! Uniformed and unarmed. No defensive weapons whatsoever!

u can lose your license in Fla.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
    Those things put me to sleep! But then, I can drink a 16-oz triple-shot latte right before bedtime and still drop right off. Other people look at a coffee cup and stay awake all night.
    Those are actually the caffeine with added Nicotinic Acid (Niacin or Vit B3), Vit B1 + Glucose, do you guys have "mother" over there? ginseng, acai-berry-juice, guarana & caffeine to name but a few of it's ingredients... 1 can gets me buzzing!

Originally posted by officerchick
    Sometimes, it is somewhat beyond your control. I chugged caffeine, chainsmoked (at the time), went outside for fresh air, tried walking the halls, and still fell asleep while walking. That hasn't happened in a very long time, thank God. But I too wonder sometimes if I have a sleep disorder of some sort. Between 2am and 5am it is nearly impossible for me to stay awake, whether I've been working that shift regularly or it's a one time thing.
    There's an 'old wives tale' regarding our body clock which basically claims that the time of day you were born has a direct impact on your ability to function during the 'wee hours' of the morning, I've always been a bit of a night owl so graveyard shifts are no problem for me (unless I've scored back-to-back shifts)

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    I know it happens but I just don't undestand it. If it's a commercial property like a strip mall and the property owner is already paying for a security service to patrol the place and I assume the owner is charging the lease holders of the stores in that property then...... The store owners are already paying for a guard service, right? If they want additional coverage wouldn't it make more sense to contact the property owner and have him/her have the patrol service focus on that particular business as requested. Of course there would be a increase in the cost of the lease but that has to be alot easier than going out and getting a completely different security company and paying them on top of what you already pay for as part of the lease. Then not even notifying the property owner or the contract partol service that they can expect to see other vehicles or SOs on the property. ? ? ?
    Imagine if I'm on patrol in my steel mill, or a chemical plant similar to one I used to be assigned to, and I see a Whackenoff Security Services car parked where one of the contractors has his trailer on site next to some manlifts or bulldozers. I'd be like "Hey, Whackenoff, Wake up. What are you doing in my plant? If that contractor needed someone to keep an all night watch on his equiptment then he could have had my plant manager pay some of us to work the job. Heck, Whackenoff, if you are gonna be back here in the back of the plant there's no reason for me to even make patrols back here. Is there? Why are you rolling up your window? What are you afraid of? Come on, I just want to talk to you, you pissant. Get out of the car. What? What you gonna do, call for your supervisor? I'll tell my guys not to let him in the gate. haha. How you gonna call him anyway? Where's your phone? Oh here it is. Come get it. I took your cellphone off your seat before you woke up. What? you want me to what? To get off the hood of your car? How 'bout you get out and make me get off your car? This is my plant you interloping sonof...."

That's how the dream ended, Doctor. What do you think? Is it a nervous break down? Can you give me a prescription for this or what?

EMT~
    I guess the tenant wanted extra coverage for their store only. Most times, when there is a need for the Holidays, CIS is notified by the property owner/manager this way we get a "heads up". It may be possible that this specific store had not notified anyone of this. It would have made some sense to make someone aware, however, that would be in a perfect world scenario. Once the report of our contact was submitted, management would be aware. The following night's shift, I looked for this SO on property. But no one was there.

Be Safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• LPAjh9558
    replied
    I've seen a guy at work literally slumped over in the chair, almost like he was dead! And this was after working a closing shift the night before and then having to open not even 5 hours after the night before

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    True, but bizarre, story. I had a post several years ago where I typically worked 2nd shift. On several occasions I pulled a double and worked 3rd. During a few of those shifts, I would fall asleep by walking. I would, quite literally, fall asleep while taking a step and wake myself up when my foot hit the floor.

Sometimes, it is somewhat beyond your control. I chugged caffeine, chainsmoked (at the time), went outside for fresh air, tried walking the halls, and still fell asleep while walking. That hasn't happened in a very long time, thank God. But I too wonder sometimes if I have a sleep disorder of some sort. Between 2am and 5am it is nearly impossible for me to stay awake, whether I've been working that shift regularly or it's a one time thing.

Fortunately, I now work days and don't have to take night shifts.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I always carry these in my work bag for just such an emergency!

Those things put me to sleep! But then, I can drink a 16-oz triple-shot latte right before bedtime and still drop right off. Other people look at a coffee cup and stay awake all night.

I've been that way ever since college days, when I think we all got desensitized to caffeine. We'd have all-nighters right before exams, drinking pots and pots of coffee and go off to exams where we would promptly fall asleep. I never did know what I wrote on my exams. Guess it musta been okay, though. Or maybe the profs graded the exams in their sleep.

Leave a comment:

• officerchick
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
    I know it happens but I just don't undestand it. If it's a commercial property like a strip mall and the property owner is already paying for a security service to patrol the place and I assume the owner is charging the lease holders of the stores in that property then...... The store owners are already paying for a guard service, right? If they want additional coverage wouldn't it make more sense to contact the property owner and have him/her have the patrol service focus on that particular business as requested. Of course there would be a increase in the cost of the lease but that has to be alot easier than going out and getting a completely different security company and paying them on top of what you already pay for as part of the lease. Then not even notifying the property owner or the contract partol service that they can expect to see other vehicles or SOs on the property. ? ? ?
    Imagine if I'm on patrol in my steel mill, or a chemical plant similar to one I used to be assigned to, and I see a Whackenoff Security Services car parked where one of the contractors has his trailer on site next to some manlifts or bulldozers. I'd be like "Hey, Whackenoff, Wake up. What are you doing in my plant? If that contractor needed someone to keep an all night watch on his equiptment then he could have had my plant manager pay some of us to work the job. Heck, Whackenoff, if you are gonna be back here in the back of the plant there's no reason for me to even make patrols back here. Is there? Why are you rolling up your window? What are you afraid of? Come on, I just want to talk to you, you pissant. Get out of the car. What? What you gonna do, call for your supervisor? I'll tell my guys not to let him in the gate. haha. How you gonna call him anyway? Where's your phone? Oh here it is. Come get it. I took your cellphone off your seat before you woke up. What? you want me to what? To get off the hood of your car? How 'bout you get out and make me get off your car? This is my plant you interloping sonof...."

That's how the dream ended, Doctor. What do you think? Is it a nervous break down? Can you give me a prescription for this or what?

EMTGuard, I have to admit you had me concerned for a minute there. I was afraid you.............actually expected people to make sense!!

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
    Quite common around here, unfortunately.

Last edited by EMTGuard; 12-19-2007, 11:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    Unarmed?

At least HCSO didn't show up, if he were armed, they may of cited him for endangerment (leaving a loaded weapon in unsafe condition, i.e. asleep.)
    Yes sir! Uniformed and unarmed. No defensive weapons whatsoever!

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X