Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ongoing and ever changing situation.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ongoing and ever changing situation.....

This morning, at approximately 0130hrs., while on vehicle patrol of a commercial property we service, I observed a Nissan Maxima idling next to a jewlery business on premises ( possibly stolen/abandoned?). I could tell the vehicle was running because the parking lights were on and exhaust could be seen coming from it due to the cold weather ( 41 degrees). Concerned that the vehicle belongs to a person or persons " Christmas shopping" inside the business. I then requested (CIS) assistance to investigate further ( burglary in progress?) . Within 3 minutes, I had 3 officers on scene. We approached the vehicle and I observed a person slumped over the steering wheel ( medical emergency?). Two us checked the business and the remaining two of us approached the vehicle. Contact was made and it was determined that the subject was a security officer from another company hired to protect the jewlery store outlet. The security officer was asleep on duty. We asked him if he was okay physically and replied he was. Oh well.....carry on.
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Was the security officer in uniform or plainclothes?
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

"Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
        This morning, at approximately 0130hrs., while on vehicle patrol of a commercial property we service, I observed a Nissan Maxima idling next to a jewlery business on premises ( possibly stolen/abandoned?). I could tell the vehicle was running because the parking lights were on and exhaust could be seen coming from it due to the cold weather ( 41 degrees). Concerned that the vehicle belongs to a person or persons " Christmas shopping" inside the business. I then requested (CIS) assistance to investigate further ( burglary in progress?) . Within 3 minutes, I had 3 officers on scene. We approached the vehicle and I observed a person slumped over the steering wheel ( medical emergency?). Two us checked the business and the remaining two of us approached the vehicle. Contact was made and it was determined that the subject was a security officer from another company hired to protect the jewlery store outlet. The security officer was asleep on duty. We asked him if he was okay physically and replied he was. Oh well.....carry on.
        ...and see how effective he was? He was able to get 4 officers from a different company to come and help him guard that store - for free!

I must remember the "slumped-over-the-wheel" technique. I'll bet there weren't any burglaries going on in that store while y'all were there. Kewl beenz!
        Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-18-2007, 08:45 AM.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

So you are contracted to patrol the property but individual stores will hire guards from other competeing companies to sit outside their stores? And then not bother to tell you? Wow.
          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
            So you are contracted to patrol the property but individual stores will hire guards from other competeing companies to sit outside their stores? And then not bother to tell you? Wow.
            Quite common around here, unfortunately.
            "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
              Happens to us at my mall. We are 24/7/365 in-house security, but the tenants will still hire other companies for their security if doing over night work. One thing is certain, if they need on the roof, they MUST hire us for access. If you dont, you wont access the roof.
              "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

But........

There are a few exceptions where, although not a good thing, sleeping on the job can occur because of circumstances.

Two of those circumstances that occurred to ME, were when I was suppose to work a graveyard shift, so I tried to stay up at night a few days and sleep during the day, this was occurring before my graveyard shift started.

On the day my shift started, where I was suppose to report in at midnight, I got a call at 6:00 am, asking me to be at work at 8:00 am because of a scheduling problem. I was completely exhausted, expecting to go to bed at 8:00 am, but I went in anyway. I told the supervisor how tired I was. They couldn't be mad, and just asked for me to do the best I could. Well, I did fall asleep here and there for a few minutes, while on the job, but I felt that I did them the favor, and that I did nothing wrong.

On an other occassion, while working as a police officer, I had a felony trail I was subpoenaed to as the investigating officer (the lead officer on the case, who gets to sit in the courtroom through all testimony of all parties).

Well, my police department was short of patrol officers, and so I was told I had to work patrol from 6:00 pm to 2:00 am, then could go home (insted of the usual 6:00 pm to 6:00 am shift), but then I had to be at court at 8:00 am for the trial. The trial lasted for four days, and each day ran until 4:00 to 5:00 pm. So it was back to the department to work right after.

By the third day, I was so wiped out, I fell asleep in the courtroom, in the middle of the trial, and this was a jury trial. And I will admit, I SNORE loudly. The D.A. elbowed me in the ribs to wake me up, and I had to go out of the room for alot of the trial.

While court was in recess, I had to appologize to the judge, and the defense attorney, and I explained why this was happening. The judge was not happy, but his problem was not with me, but with my department expecting too much out of me. The defense attorney said it was no problem, mainly because (I believe) it made me look like an idiot.

Well, we LOST the case (and I'm not trying to brag here, but I RARELY lost at court). The jury members would not even talk to the D.A. (who is a good guy) about why they found the defendant not guilty, But I have to believe it was, at least in part, because of my sleepyness.

All this is just to say that until you know all the facts, don't judge someone for something like sleeping, it might not be their fault that they are there and are so tired.

Comment

stay awake like your life depends on it
                  Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

You're lucky. Most of the guys here would have fired you on the spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                      There are a few exceptions where, although not a good thing, sleeping on the job can occur because of circumstances.......

All this is just to say that until you know all the facts, don't judge someone for something like sleeping, it might not be their fault that they are there and are so tired.
                      Exactly. If you work security or LE long enough, circumstances will conspire and anyone can end up dozing off. Even airline pilots have this problem.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

craig333, Maybe you didn't notice the part of my post where I put I informed my supervisor of my condition, and he still told me to work.

At that point, I believe that I would have won any wrongful termination suit I had brought, because, my condition was made fully understandable to the company, and they then still had me work.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog View Post
                          Was the security officer in uniform or plainclothes?
                          Uniformed...
                          " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                            ...and see how effective he was? He was able to get 4 officers from a different company to come and help him guard that store - for free!

I must remember the "slumped-over-the-wheel" technique. I'll bet there weren't any burglaries going on in that store while y'all were there. Kewl beenz!
                            LMAO! I considered that Sec. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              stay awake like your life depends on it
                              I always carry these in my work bag for just such an emergency!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X