Guards using own gear on LE Reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guards using own gear on LE Reserve

I have almost 13 years in the security industry, as guard, LPO, and all levels of management, that's a big part of the reason I applied for RCMP Auxiliary. The other part, of course, is that this tiny little town of 500 in Canada's North has no need for a SO, and if I don't keep my skills up I'll lose them.

My question is for guards who also work as reserve, auxiliary, [insert term] in LE. Do you use your own gear (belt, various cases and holders, lights, cuffs, gun, ammo) on duty? Or do you use the issue gear?

I ask because I have some of my own and will probably use it instead of issue (with permission of course) as the RCMP, as with other LE organizations, are too often ruled by the budget than by sense. Meaning that the Mounties use leather belt and gear - heavy, etc - and I have nylon which is light, light, and has a little 'give' when fighting a suspect.

Merry Christmas!

JohnC
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

I used to be an auxiliary, and I used to wear my vest to bad neighborhoods during my day job as (then) an alarm installer and locksmith, so I guess I went in the opposite direction.
    The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Most of the LE agencies in this area do not issue gear to reserves, only to the full-timers. So you have no choice but to use your own, as long as it meets their requirements.
      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
      Originally posted by ValleyOne
      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
      Shoulda called in sick.
      Be safe!

Comment

around here, your required to provide you're own as a special deputy.. so the guys who do security work and reserve special just use the same equipment, placement and everything else, buying things that meet the sheriffs requirments.. only thing that changes gear wise it the radio..

Comment

In my area of Washington, most agencies issue reserves their basic uniform, gun, belt, less-lethals, and vest.

Some agencies have policies that say you cant not convert the issued equipment to personal use; however; I know people do it and it seems to be a non-issue. It seems to be a policy that is more for agency liability.

I personally own all of my own gear that I use in LE with the exception of my uniform.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

wjohnc
            "Location: tinytown, Northwest Territories, Canada"

Hmmmm would you happen to know a SGT Mountie named Preston? You couldn't miss him cause he had a dog with him all the time named King. Or maybe Yukon King. At one time there was some unsupported speculation as to just how close these two were. But that's another story. Should you run across him say HI for me Thanks.
            Attached Files
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X