No announcement yet.

Do people hate us?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, it's my first post, so be gentle.

I have been in some sort of public service for years now, I was a dispatcher at my college's police dept, I worked for Indianapolis Fire Dept for 2 years, and now I am working private security on the side. I can personally say that I have never had any direct hate thrown my way from the general public. With that being said, it's quite clear how *some* police officers feel about private security officers. Even then, there are good apples, and there are bad apples.

For instance, a few weeks ago I worked an event where we had 3 private officers, and 1 local metro police officer all working together. I think he thought just because he had a car with pretty red and blue lights, that he could just sit around and make his $25/hr. He was most definitely an all around moron and his contempt for us as security officers was clear. The next night, we had the same arrangement, but a different PO - and he was quite nice. He patrolled the parking lot (which was fine with me, I didn't want to burn up MY gas) as we had all discussed earlier in the evening and I even made an effort to bring him bottles of water throughout the night. It's just a give and take relationship when working with anyone - of course there will be the occasional jerk who will look down at you as a 'rent-a-cop' but who really cares about his opinion? This is of course within the law enforcement community....

My experience with the general population has been better though. I dont know if it's the fact that I present myself in a 100% professional manner, or it's the fact that I enjoy joking around with the people I'm working with/for, or what, but I have not had any sort of ill-will thrown my way at all. I have worked with all sorts of people in all areas of our community with nothing but a positive response. I'm pretty light-hearted and I pretty well blow lots of stuff off and take none of it personally. More likely than not, some yeahoo who wants to call me a rent-a-cop, will never see me again in the future, or be in some sort of position to have any control over me...so if it makes them feel better about themselves, they are welcome to it.

Again on the flip side, we have bad apples within the company as well who make us in whole look bad. For instance, we had this one officer who absolutely thought he was a cop in every aspect. He would order people around and was an all around idiot. Needless to say, he is now working in parking lots, instead of with the public. I'm in IT full-time, and moonlight this security gig. I enjoy it, but I am quite clearly not interested in being a police officer so I'm not out there trying to emulate one. I'm just there to protect whatever interest I am there to serve, and that's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dboogie2288 View Post
      It's just a give and take relationship when working with anyone - of course there will be the occasional jerk who will look down at you as a 'rent-a-cop' but who really cares about his opinion? This is of course within the law enforcement community....
      Remember, If he's a police officer and he's working at a paid extra duty assignment then in fact that makes him the "Rent-a-cop" not the private security officers.
      I'm being gentle but it's a major pet peeve of mine when the term Rent-aCop is used for private security. Also, when someone uses the phrase "Security Patrol" or "Security Officers" when they in fact are refering to commissioned police officers, wearing their police issue uniforms and driving police issue taxpayer funded vehicles while working assignments outside of their regular duty shifts.
      I'm a guard. That deputy over there in his crown vic patroling the parking lot is the Rent-a-Cop.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
        Remember, If he's a police officer and he's working at a paid extra duty assignment then in fact that makes him the "Rent-a-cop" not the private security officers.
        I'm being gentle but it's a major pet peeve of mine when the term Rent-aCop is used for private security. Also, when someone uses the phrase "Security Patrol" or "Security Officers" when they in fact are refering to commissioned police officers, wearing their police issue uniforms and driving police issue taxpayer funded vehicles while working assignments outside of their regular duty shifts.
        I'm a guard. That deputy over there in his crown vic patroling the parking lot is the Rent-a-Cop.
        Hmm I never considered the semantics of it as such, but you are indeed correct.

Comment

I have found people are very nice to me, until they see me writing something in my notebook or in the company log book on site. Once they see that I know how to write, I become the son of Satan himself. I had a very nice gentleman greet me with a warm hello, which was followed by me writing that I was on a static post for the next 10 min into my notebook... the man then proceeded to call me a little sh*t and spat on my shoes. LOL very nice man I say...

Comment

Well, a very good afternoon to you Officer Cactus, how are...what are you ...are you writing someth... Why you literate sack of rotten garbage I ought to strangle you with both..."

Sort of like that?
            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

I have repeatedly made the point to everyone who will listen that a "Rent-A-Cop" is NOT a security officer. A moonlighting police officer is a Rent-A-Cop. A security officer is...well, a security officer.
              "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                I have repeatedly made the point to everyone who will listen that a "Rent-A-Cop" is NOT a security officer. A moonlighting police officer is a Rent-A-Cop. A security officer is...well, a security officer.
                So, not counting this forum, about three people then?
                That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

Originally posted by officerchick View Post
                  So, not counting this forum, about three people then?
                  I think it was two, at last count.
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
                    I have found people are very nice to me, until they see me writing something in my notebook or in the company log book on site. Once they see that I know how to write, I become the son of Satan himself. I had a very nice gentleman greet me with a warm hello, which was followed by me writing that I was on a static post for the next 10 min into my notebook... the man then proceeded to call me a little sh*t and spat on my shoes. LOL very nice man I say...
                    I see what you mean. I go around saying "hello" or "what's going on" to anyone that I come in contact with. But then, when you're seen conducting department check or whatever, geez...the looks and/or remarks I'll get sometimes I just keep thinking that they'll get over it at least until the next time around
                    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
                      I think that even though LP's don't wear uniforms a lot of this applies to us as well It seems that a lot of people (including associates), tend to misunderstand why we do what we do.
                      Primarily, as a LPO you not only watch customers but employees too. That's why they look at you with some mistrust. Especially, if that employee is up to something IMO.

Be Safe,

Hank
                      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
                        Primarily, as a LPO you not only watch customers but employees too. That's why they look at you with some mistrust. Especially, if that employee is up to something IMO.

Be Safe,

Hank
                        I see what you mean. We do have some that will take it in stride. And others make you wonder what's up just by their actions alone. Sad thing is that the last 3 or 4 internals that we've caught neither our DLPM or HR have done anything to 'em So we're like what's the point ya know.
                        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
                          I see what you mean. We do have some that will take it in stride. And others make you wonder what's up just by their actions alone. Sad thing is that the last 3 or 4 internals that we've caught neither our DLPM or HR have done anything to 'em So we're like what's the point ya know.
                          I hear you. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what we are hired to do.
                          " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Could you, in good conscious watch someone do something wrong and not act or report it?? Would you be able to sleep that night knowing you let it slide?

Or look at it another way. They might get away with it this time, next time. But one thing for sure. THEY KNOW WE ARE WATCHING. So do you think they will try and escalate their offences???? Or the people who are borderline then hear that security caught so and so doing this wrong. Do you think they will try something now????
                            You are not defeated unless you believe you are -Fernando
                            The world is full of willing people; some willing to work and the rest willing to let them - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Officer View Post
                              Could you, in good conscious watch someone do something wrong and not act or report it?? Would you be able to sleep that night knowing you let it slide?

Or look at it another way. They might get away with it this time, next time. But one thing for sure. THEY KNOW WE ARE WATCHING. So do you think they will try and escalate their offences???? Or the people who are borderline then hear that security caught so and so doing this wrong. Do you think they will try something now????
                              If I saw something being done that wasn't right I'd definately report it. When I used to work for a juvenile detension center we would see a ton of stuff happening and a lot of it not always being done by the kids that were locked up You would hope that if people knew they were being watched then they wouldn't do anything stupid. Having said that, there are those individuals that you could walk up to them and say, "we're watching you" and they would still do something stupid that gets them caught
                              "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Well, a very good afternoon to you Officer Cactus, how are...what are you ...are you writing someth... Why you literate sack of rotten garbage I ought to strangle you with both..."

Sort of like that?
                                lol exactly like that... I swear there are too many loons walking the streets

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X