Turn your radio on! (a rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
    On the technical side of this problem. It is best to let your radio completely discharge prior to recharging it. It has to do with the memory in the battery. My old company always had extra radios mostly for this purpose. Yes you can leave it in the charger and on for the short term. More than once a lazy guard would either forget to put the persons on the previous shift in the charger when he leaves his shift an will put his radio in and screw up the cycle.

My home aa charger has a button that will totally discharge your batteries before starting the charge cycle.
    I use the Batteries in my scanner and get average 8 hours + run time each day for months. Some of you may have seen the below site but if you are a cheap or should I say thrifty sob like me then this will be right up your ally.
    The Batteries in the below are not rechargeable. So don't try or you will be a news item in tomorrows news paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgDffMcsUU
    That is for Nickle Cadium batteries right? I have beem told that Nickle Metal Hydrate rechargables do not build a memory.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Security View Post
      My advice on this would be to get your maintenance guys an earpiece with PTT microphones.

We use something like this...

http://www.qmuniforms.com/moreInfoGr...io+Accessories

Erik
      Good suggestion except at this time of year the hotel occupancy is so low that I can not even get a P.O. signed to buy a box of bandaids

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
        That is for Nickle Cadium batteries right? I have beem told that Nickle Metal Hydrate rechargables do not build a memory.
        Then you were correctly informed (though there are differing theories), to be fair as batteries age they perform less efficiently especially if they've had high usage (contributing to voltage depression), this could easily be confused with the memory effect NiCD's had a reputation for suffering from

FWIW discharging entire groups of cells because one has a depressed voltage capacity (caused by the excessive formation of crystals within the cell) can actually damage the group... best practice is to discharge ONLY the effected cell

Many (if not all) new portable devices are either using NiMH or Lithium (protected cell) technology, hell even the latest gameboy DS has a lithium cell pack
        "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

We use Kenwood radios (I don't remember the model #'s). Most of the time they work just fine. Lately though, even the newer batteries won't hold a charge...go figure huh
          "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

bpd

Hey Dougo83, you ought two buy the two lovebirds a CHEAP pair of
            walkie-talkies to use, and when giving it to them, tell them that the rest of you want to stay alive, so please don't use the work radio's for their B.S. anymore.

Hopefully that will make them realize how important the ability for you to use the radio is, and they will knock off the love boat talk. If it works, hopefully they will give you the cheapo radio's back that you bought, and you can bring them back for a refund.
            I think the biggest problem is that they are young. Younger than all 3 of us bouncers and probably most of the waitresses/bartenders. What we have done for now is just switch our channel so we can communicate and we gave a radio to the dj so he can call the mgrs over the PA if we actually need them. We have cut in on their conversations and told them the STFU, but it doesn't seem to work. I guess when someone gets really hurt and there's a lawsuit, they'll figure it out...

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
              We use Kenwood radios (I don't remember the model #'s). Most of the time they work just fine. Lately though, even the newer batteries won't hold a charge...go figure huh
              we have 3 Kenwood's & 6 Motorola's. We like to use the radios until they are completely dead before putting them on charge even though they are Nickle Metal Hydrite. The problem with the Kenwood radios is that when the battery goes, it goes. No warning. You could be in the middle of calling for help & it stops transmitting. The Motorola radios beep when you push the PTT when the battery is getting low but still gives you time to go & change the battery.

Comment

Well... you could farm out those Kenwoods, trade them in or just use them for spares after acquiring additional Motorolas, alternatively if they've got the original battery packs you could go for the higher capacity components

The definite advantage of individual cell applications is you can swap out the sick cell, drain it independently of the group OR better yet upgrade (them all) to the newer 2500~2800maH capacity cells on the market

FWIW even the basic Uniden 2way rigs have that handy 'beeping' PTT with low batteries feature
                Last edited by Maelstrom; 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM.
                "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

We run into this from time to time. Here, you are subject to disciplinary action if you are habitual offender. It is a pet peeve of mine.

Be Safe,

Hank
                  " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                    Well... you could farm out those Kenwoods, trade them in or just use them for spares after acquiring additional Motorolas, alternatively if they've got the original battery packs you could go for the higher capacity components

The definite advantage of individual cell applications is you can swap out the sick cell, drain it independently of the group OR better yet upgrade (them all) to the newer 2500~2800maH capacity cells on the market

FWIW even the basic Uniden 2way rigs have that handy 'beeping' PTT with low batteries feature
                    The Kenwoods are the new ones . On the good side the batteries last, even after almost a year's use, 2 complete 8 hour shifts.

Speaking of Uniden & beeping when the batteries get low, that is something that drives me crazy with my Uniden Bearcat scanner. The annoying beeping!

Comment

If your batteries are Nickle-Metal, leaving the radio on while on a charger is murder for these batteries.
                      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

With our batteries, you could be right in the middle of calling in a suspect and all the sudden...BEEP. And then if you still try using it, it's the same thing again. Plus there's no way of knowing if the newer ones work.
                        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                          If your batteries are Nickle-Metal, leaving the radio on while on a charger is murder for these batteries.
                          How so? logically if the standby voltage drain is less than that provided by the charging deck it'd just take longer to charge wouldn't it?

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                          Speaking of Uniden & beeping when the batteries get low, that is something that drives me crazy with my Uniden Bearcat scanner. The annoying beeping!
                          LMAO I know what you mean, Uniden love their 'beeps' just try using one of their dedicated mobile transceivers

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
                            How so? logically if the standby voltage drain is less than that provided by the charging deck it'd just take longer to charge wouldn't it?
                            I don't know why but it does say "turn radio off before charging" on a sticker in the bottom of the Motorola chargers.

Comment

We were told to drain the battery completely before recharging our units. One of the shift supervisors took this to mean he had to drain all battery's on his shift and then recharge them.

we would be lucky to find a charged battery when we got to work.

Every unit we use needs to be off when recharging or you will damage the
                              battery.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
                                Every unit we use needs to be off when recharging or you will damage the battery.
                                Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                                I don't know why but it does say "turn radio off before charging" on a sticker in the bottom of the Motorola chargers.
                                That would imply that the radios are trickle charged then, thus the voltage used in standby mode would exceed Vin from the charger... in which case I can see how the batteries would be severely effected

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X