'Tis the season, for overtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Tis the season, for overtime

I worked a 15.5 hour shift last night. I worked my regular scheduled 12 hour shift then spend an additional 3.5 hours up on the Mississippi River leve at the end of our dock waiting for a ship which had been loading up on steel beams to leave.
    Last week the SO/EMT who works opposite shift from me asked me if I would work Xmas eve and Xmas for her. Sure. I need the overtime hours so I didn't have a problem taking the shifts.
    Tonight I got a phone call from the same officer. She wanted to know if I would work the Friday night after Xmas. Sure. More hours. So I'm going to be working 6pm-6am Dec 21-28. I won't have much time for holiday celebrations but I'll be able to catch up some on my bills.
    Plus we have a shutdown/turn around at the plant starting the day after Xmas and running 2 weeks. We will be opening and manning a unused Contractor parking lot. While the Security company I work for is trying to find enought temperary Officers to fill those hours it's a good bet that they will be short handed. I'm hoping to grab at least one shift during that period.
    Anyone else grabbing a few extra hours during the holidays?
    Hospital Security Officer

I always get fat and sassy off of OT during the holiday season. A lot of my officers want time off during the holidays and people need to burn some time before they lose it, so that leads to some fat checks at the time of year when they are needed the most.

Comment

15.5 hour shift... you got caffeine running in those veins?

Yeah sure I'll absorb some extra shift these holidays, I'll also swap to accommodate others sometimes too, but I'd rather work to live than live to work
      "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

O V E R T I M E

We recently had Black Friday, which is always fun in the retail circles I pulled a 14.5 shift with 2 others pulling 16 Then I ended up with 21 on overtime! What was worse....we had no COFFEE!
        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
          15.5 hour shift... you got caffeine running in those veins?
          Almost. Drinking Diet soda all night and fighting the need to pee keeps you awake. Besides, I was working my way through a James Patterson novel all night and the hours flew by.
          We have a shut down/turn around at the plant starting the day after Xmas. Some of the officers working during that time will be doing 15 hour overlaping shifts to keep extra personel available to check contractors and their designated parking lots.

Comment

I've been trying to read The Jericho Sanction for the longest time now. All I can say is thank God for Barqs rootbeer
            "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
              I've been trying to read The Jericho Sanction for the longest time now. All I can say is thank God for Barqs rootbeer
              I love Barqs but it's not good for my waist line (or my wallet). I've had to give it up.

Comment

Days the week of Christmas so good coin there doing 12hr shifts, off for new years. Works for me.
                I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

My wife and I have not had a day off since mid-November
                  Thank goodness we are working day, and evenings off, and nights off.
                  http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

I'm looking forward to some overtime, but it's unknown if it's coming.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
                      I love Barqs but it's not good for my waist line (or my wallet). I've had to give it up.
                      It's a sad day when a man has to give up Barqs rootbeer My hats off to you!
                      "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                        I'm looking forward to some overtime, but it's unknown if it's coming.
                        I'd be more than happy to share some of my overtime....'tis the season for giving ya know
                        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Quote from EMT/Guard.
                          "I won't have much time for holiday celebrations but I'll be able to catch up some on my bills."

Don't get me wrong, overtime is great, but don't forget to spend time with your family during this special time. Life is short, once that moment has passed, you can't get it back. I look back on a lot of holidays and special times in my kids' lives and wish I would have been there with them instead of sitting in an ambulance or patrol unit!

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
                            We recently had Black Friday, which is always fun in the retail circles I pulled a 14.5 shift with 2 others pulling 16 Then I ended up with 21 on overtime! What was worse....we had no COFFEE!
                            NO Coffee? that's just plain uncivilized! LMAO
                            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

uncool

You're telling me I think all the guys in the hunting department drank it all...the sh**heads Oh well, if I don't have coffee then it's BARQS for me! The pressure is so unbearable.....
                              "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X