Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check your fire escapes for snow blockage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your fire escapes for snow blockage!

Just a friendly reminder to our northern guards; in winter, many fire escapes are located in areas that aren't cleared for snow, therefore a pileup of said snow can cause them to be difficult, if not impossible to operate. If you can (and they aren't alarmed) try to open each door at least once a shift. Also, remember that you can be in violation of fire codes requiring emergency fire exits if the doors can be opened but high amounts of snow makes it difficult to walk to safety...

Not much snow here! But it is a good idea to check exits for blockages of all types!

Be Safe,

Hank
    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Here in Minnesota it is a part of our life for about half the year. Even though snow removal doesn't fall under our department, I have never been shy about grabbing a shovel and some salt and getting to work.

I have worked security jobs in the past were some shoveling was expected. I never had a problem with it since keeping people safe and keeping exits clear is most definitely part of our role.

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
        Here in Minnesota it is a part of our life for about half the year. Even though snow removal doesn't fall under our department, I have never been shy about grabbing a shovel and some salt and getting to work.

I have worked security jobs in the past were some shoveling was expected. I never had a problem with it since keeping people safe and keeping exits clear is most definitely part of our role.
        Two years ago I was filling in as the overnight security guard/doorman at a middle/upper-class apartment building. As I stepped outside after my shift was done, I noticed the ground was really icy. As I walked, I wondered if perhaps I should spread some salt; I then decided not to, as it wasn't my job and my shift was over anyway. No sooner had I made my decision then I landed a**-over-backward on my butt; if I had been an older person I would have definately broken a couple of bones. Needless to say, I limped back and salted the pathway

Comment

It's been very cold for this time of year here in Montreal for the past week or so. ( -13C tonight). Our doorways are being blocked by homeless people camping out. They find rarely used doorways that are out of the wind, put down cardboard & sleep in sleeping bags. Sometimes 2 or 3 in a small doorway. In case of an emergency they would be blocking the door.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

for sunday 2 foot of new snow over la belle province(quebec) .

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
              It's been very cold for this time of year here in Montreal for the past week or so. ( -13C tonight).
              A big part of the reason I no longer live there.
              "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Im not worried about it. My mall employs an army of snow plow contractors. They will call around 0300-0400 and ask what its like on property. The 3rd Shift Officer will let them know and within an hour they got bulldozers, snow pushers, plows, back-hoe's, etc. The tenants themselves are their worst enemy. They will plie trash by their rear exit either inside their store or outside the rear exit into the corridor.
                "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

The contractor who plows in and around our Gatehouse, had been up for
                  36 hours plowing. He has about a dozen Dunkin' Donouts parking lots, and
                  quite a few church parking lots. God bless the snow plow drivers.
                  http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                    Im not worried about it. My mall employs an army of snow plow contractors. They will call around 0300-0400 and ask what its like on property. The 3rd Shift Officer will let them know and within an hour they got bulldozers, snow pushers, plows, back-hoe's, etc. The tenants themselves are their worst enemy. They will plie trash by their rear exit either inside their store or outside the rear exit into the corridor.
                    One of our hospitals uses a contractor for snow removal. A couple days after the last snowfall, I noticed that all the fire hydrants were buried in snow. So I shoveled around all four of them. Client is not happy with the contractors for covering up the hydrants. Something else to watch for.
                    "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

I remember one site I worked, it was not snow we had to move away from fir exits but druggies and their used syringes.

I suppose each site has their own challenges....
                      You are not defeated unless you believe you are -Fernando
                      The world is full of willing people; some willing to work and the rest willing to let them - Robert Frost

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X