X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Bucks for School Security Staff

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/onl...aff/7247SIW457
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    http://www.securityinfowatch.com/onl...aff/7247SIW457
    Commentary:
    Again, we have politicians stating that any security job can be better accomplished by police officers. This seems more of a job for a school counselor, not a police officer. Regardless of how much these folks make, it does not sound like a traditional security assignment, nor a traditional police assignment.
    Maybe Randolf tried the counselor idea and decided they needed the actual security people to take more drastic action ie...locker checks, backpack/bag checks, disperse groups (remember there are no GANGS in schools )
    or any other duties they don't feel a counselor should be doing.

As for the PD being better at it....How? and Why? No offese to the LEOs out there but..

Comment

I work at a school and make $8 an hour! I believe I would faint if my boss told me he was bumping me up to $24/hour!

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
        Yikes. I take it your position isn't civil service?
        What private security position is? I would like to know after seeing people fired under nefarious circumstances.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by 1stWatch
          What private security position is? I would like to know after seeing people fired under nefarious circumstances.
          No private security position is civil service. That would make the private security officer a public servant, the very antithesis of private security.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

You sure about that? School security, public college security, water supply security, city office building security, county office building security - all civil service, all employed by local government where I used to live. None of them are armed, none of them making less than $18/hr.
            Not private security in my book as they are hired by the Govt.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
              Not private security in my book as they are hired by the Govt.
              Hired or contracted?
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

You sure about that? School security, public college security, water supply security, city office building security, county office building security - all civil service, all employed by local government where I used to live. None of them are armed, none of them making less than $18/hr.
                I'm sure about that. They're employed directly by the local government. An apt comparison is the Pinellas County School District Police, a Certified Florida Law Enforcement Agency. Across the bay, the unarmed Hillsbrough County School District Security is unarmed, non-sworn, and make slightly less than a PCSDP Officer. Both are considered county employees, and school district employees.

Comment

If you're talking about whether or not it's "private security" - security is security, who cares? You're the one who brought up the private issue.
                  There are various types of security officers, not just private security. Texas has a clear definition of a "public security officer" for example, which is a security officer that is a sworn peace officer employed by a political subdivision of the state. Most public security officer positions I see are school district police. The only other type of security allowed in public schools here must be unarmed. It is different in nature from "private security" which is more commonly seen and is what we commonly refer to as contracted security guards.
                  "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

I was hired by the county I worked in, making it a local government job. If it was contracted, I wouldn't work for the county, would I now?
                    Technically, no. However, there are private security companies such as Pinkerton Government Services, a subsidiary of Securitas, and Wackenhut Security, which work for the government in the sense that they have a contract with the government to work government security. It is not my intention to irritate you. I simply wanted to rule out any misunderstanding on my part before I posted something that missed the mark.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X