No announcement yet.

Wannabe's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I witnessed 1 company removing the warning signs off the fence line of a competitor (never do this in uniform or when driving their patrol cars) as well as removing the patrol tabs (site visit tickets) left by patrol companies to argue they had not visited that evening. On 1 estate we had 19 neighbours, 6 security firms, 1 patrol agent (provided by facilities company) and the Ops Mgrs who would suck up to each site to get them to rat on how things happen. You imagine having those contracts on 1 site that meant if someone was sick or needed backup you had those people close by ?
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I have in the past stopped and directed traffic at accident scenes while waiting for the Police to show. Hell, I have done it at intersections when the traffic light failed. I even stood in the middle of a busy street at age 7 and directed trafic around a toddler who decided to sit down because we would not buy him any candy. (Okay, so it was my brother)

I never represented myself as a police officer or security guard in any of those situations, nor did I seek approval from anyone in authority. I just considered it my civic duty. I knew how to do it, I was capable of doing it, and until someone in authority arrived to take over, I was an asset.

As far as the guy asking to help, you should have just said no. Next time he calls, tell him thank you for the offer but for liability reasons, you are not able to accept his help.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman View Post
        I have in the past stopped and directed traffic at accident scenes while waiting for the Police to show. Hell, I have done it at intersections when the traffic light failed. I even stood in the middle of a busy street at age 7 and directed trafic around a toddler who decided to sit down because we would not buy him any candy. (Okay, so it was my brother)

I never represented myself as a police officer or security guard in any of those situations, nor did I seek approval from anyone in authority. I just considered it my civic duty. I knew how to do it, I was capable of doing it, and until someone in authority arrived to take over, I was an asset.

As far as the guy asking to help, you should have just said no. Next time he calls, tell him thank you for the offer but for liability reasons, you are not able to accept his help.
        Your directing traffic at an intersection is not a civic duty, it borders on whackerism. If you're not a LEO there is no reason to be doing that stuff, not only is it a liability to you, but it endangers the public. Even if you do have enough training in traffic control (which i doubt if you're not a LEO), it's still not your duty.

Now, that's not to say don't stop at car crashes if there's no LEO on scene yet. I can completely understand that, and I would do it too. However, I would just provide basic first aid to anyone in need, call 911 if needed, and be an observer.

That's my .02
        If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

I've directed traffic around the scene of an accident too. Nothing wrong with that. Making a scene safer I would say is a civic duty. Certainly in some circumstances a person "doofus type" could make it worse but its not likely.
          When the authorities arrive you stand back or continue if thats what they ask (had them ask me to continue too, the first arriving unit has better things to do than direct traffic).

Comment

Wow! Sounds like a screw ball! You need to seperate you and your staff from this guy ASAP! I would tell him to stay away and trespass him if possible. This situation can go only one way, south!
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Flashlightcop509

Ok, what's done is done and I'm sure that you would handle it another way if you could. Now, for damage control:

Complete an incident report documenting your warning to this guy not to involve himself in any official capacity at the mall. Ask the police officer who spoke to him for a statement to be attached to your report to prove that LE was advised and also warned this individual to stop.

If he gets involved again, have the police handle him. If anything should happen down the road, you can tell the press that this is an ongoing police matter and they should direct any questions to that agency. That gets you off the hook.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                Ok, what's done is done and I'm sure that you would handle it another way if you could. Now, for damage control:

Complete an incident report documenting your warning to this guy not to involve himself in any official capacity at the mall. Ask the police officer who spoke to him for a statement to be attached to your report to prove that LE was advised and also warned this individual to stop.

If he gets involved again, have the police handle him. If anything should happen down the road, you can tell the press that this is an ongoing police matter and they should direct any questions to that agency. That gets you off the hook.
                Thorough plan Mr. Security. Good Job!

Comment

Yeah, I agree with ddog, Mr Security's plan of action is well thought out, and is completely reasonable.

Comment

Thanks ddog & bpdblue for the comments.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

We had a guy like this when I was an explorer. The police would get reports of an unmarked white CV pulling them over, spot-lighting them and then speeding off. We knew it was this explorer and he eventually got kicked off the post. This kid was in the Coast Guard Auxilary Reserve or something to that fact.

About a year later, I was home on leave from the Navy and was doing some "recruiting" at the high school. I stopped by to talk to the Police Officer assigned to the HS, who was the advisor for the explorer post at the time of the previous incidents. We saw the kid (still a sr in high school) in the cafeteria all decked out in full military camo. The SRO told me he wore this everyday, claiming that he could get "called up" at any moment. I pulled this kid asside and asked to see his military ID. He told me that he could not surrender it to anyone. I instruced him that as a military police officer, I had the authority to request identification from anyone in, or claiming to be in, the military and told him that he could not where his camo uniform outside of a duty status...and that if he was actually in the military, he would not get "called up" while he was still in school.

I hear that he's still causing problems and has nothing to do with the CG or any other part of the military. He's the poster child for "whackers"!!...white crown vic with spotlite, scanner and PA mounted to the dash...and even red and blue LED's on the visor!!!

(sorry for the long post...but this kid is a basket case!)
                      "Be courteous. Be polite. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet!" --U.S. Marines

Comment

Originally posted by navyleo View Post
                        and even red and blue LED's on the visor!!!
                        These will either get him a good fine or arrested. Or if he pulls me over, a good tale kicking.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X