Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wannabe's...

OK, here's the deal...

On two seperate occasions at my mall, I have been approached by an individual who flashed a badge, and inquired as to if we (my security department) needed asistance with traffic control (the first time was on Black Friday ); At first, I thought nothing of it, and was actually glad to have additional help with vehicle traffic that day... This individual apparently knew how how to direct traffic, as his help was a benefit far as gridlock was concerned... After speaking to him a while, "George" stated to me he was a prior service Marine, and started his own company to assist Security and Police when it was needed. His badge was an LAPD 2 tone style stating "United States Cop Protector - badge # 292"...

OK, I don't know the guy, and I was just thankful for the help since it was a hectic day... Since then, on weekends, he has called to inquire as to wether or not my Officers need help with directing traffic... On 2 occasions I've told him no since traffic was moving well on its own, but this past Saturday 12/08, he decided to just show up and offer his help...

A little back story (VERY little)... This past Saturday, he was on property wearing an M1-A style bomber jacket, complete with a Stuttgart, Germany PD patch on the right shoulder, a Ventura, CA PD patch on the back, and a Vergennes, VT PD patch on the left shoulder, in addition to the USCP badge around his neck... Now, seeing as how we are in Vermont, a police department patch worn on an outer garment is enough to imply affiliation with a particular agency, that this guy wasn't arrested right away... We did however, have 2 South Burlington PD Officers on site this past weekend, and one of them addressed the guy and told him pretty much he was not to imply that he was either Security or Police during his time there, but was welcome to shop and/or spend the day walking around... If he were to observe somwthing wonky, he should call Security or PD but not take any action on his own...

I've talked to the guy a few times, and he is friendly and amicable enough, but IMHO, my Officers, as well as SBPD kinda have doubts as to his 10-96 status; There are a few store operators here that knew him in HS that said if an ambulance or police car/fire truck drove past the school, he would leave and follow them to the scene... One person went so far as to state that while in High School, this person would wear an earpiece with a cut wire stuffed down his sleeve and speak into a nonexistent radio...
    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Whacker Alert! Whacker Alert!

I would suggest calling the PD next time this guy shows up.
    If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

Does he work for your client? Is he contracted by your client to provide services?

If not, then he has no business directing traffic on the property. Saying "yes" to his help creates a business relationship. Now, I have no idea if you are actually authorized to create a verbal business relationship under the law, but I doubt you are by company policy.

If you need his help, then your client or your firm will be happy to contract with his firm.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post
        Whacker Alert! Whacker Alert!

I would suggest calling the PD next time this guy shows up.
        Sound like a case for the guys at Hamsexy. I love watching them bust on Whackers like that guy. Between the guys at Hamsexy, Elightbars and Officer.com (and similar sites) it's getting tough for Whackers to keep getting away with their games.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

safety risk

Based on both your story as well as the background you obtained, this guy sounds like a safety risk not only to himself but also your officers, LEO's and the public in general.

What if this guy goes off on his own against a shoplifter or confronts a group of 'troublemakers' if stuff hits the fan he's up the creek with out a paddle.
          I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
            Based on both your story as well as the background you obtained, this guy sounds like a safety risk not only to himself but also your officers, LEO's and the public in general.

What if this guy goes off on his own against a shoplifter or confronts a group of 'troublemakers' if stuff hits the fan he's up the creek with out a paddle.
            Then he gets cuffed, searched for weapons (Gawd I hope not), and processed by SBPD, same as the rest... For the most part, he has not done anything outwardly illegal, so my actions are limited for now...
            "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

We recently had new recruits covering Christmas tournaments, for patrols and guard positions. One old slim build guy starts out slowly talking about his Marine career in 'Nam and kung fu expertise; and then starts into how he would would dismantle anyone who attacks him knee by knee.

I immediately directed him to talk to the Supervisor to explain it to him. Haven't seen him lately, but he could still be around. Don't think he's a real harm to anyone, but would not bet on it, especially around rich kids.

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509 View Post
                Then he gets cuffed, searched for weapons (Gawd I hope not), and processed by SBPD, same as the rest... For the most part, he has not done anything outwardly illegal, so my actions are limited for now...
                But you authorized him to help you. He is now part of your staff by verbal agreement. Please provide the name of the mall so that I can sue it into oblivion after being touched by this man.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                  But you authorized him to help you. He is now part of your staff by verbal agreement. Please provide the name of the mall so that I can sue it into oblivion after being touched by this man.
                  As far as traffic control, I did not authorize him to help us, but by the same token, did not tell him not to... My bad or not, that was an isolated circumstance weeks ago, and the fact that a sworn LEO advised him NOT to act in a Security or LE capacity only 2 days ago in a public common area takes precedence over anything that by the slightest margin may have been interpreted incorrectly otherwise...

After a SBPD Officer spoke to this individual Saturday, he had left the site no later than 30 minutes after the Officer addressed him...

I'll let you know the name of the mall once you let me know when you may be visiting my State...
                  Last edited by flashlightcop509; 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM.

Comment

We had an incident a few years back with a 19 y/o kid directing traffic at a car accident in a police officer's hi-vis rain coat complelte with checkered pattern (plaid for the yanks) and markings. Apparently the 1st officer on site gave him the rain coat to be seen has he directed traffic away from the smash. It was a big hoo-haa as the kid could have caused a serious incident with the public slowing down to look at the car crash.

At a dance party I ran for a global school, 1 of the meathead teachers informed me he and his karate friends did the door work. I told him no thanks as he was not licenced. He told me about how good his mates were an so forth and I told him again - no way were they going to work for me. If they had done something wrong, it would have been my buttocks on the line. 3 times in the same night I had to tell him to move away from the door as he was not part of the working staff as he kept interfering with my teams.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509 View Post
                      I'll let you know the name of the mall once you let me know when you may be visiting my State...
                      Is the name on the side of a patrol car in another thread? Starts with U & ends in y?
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Wouldn't this be a good Twilight Zone episode, where all wannabe cop nut-jobs die and end up all together where everyone else is the same thing... in the Twighlight Zone? The back ground city shots would be people blowing pedestrian knee caps off with conceiled shot-guns, and randomly firing 6-load tazer guns into crowds loading busses. Dante's inferno?

Last edited by ddog; 12-10-2007, 11:48 PM.

Comment

The next time you see him tell him that you feel bad for the guards at another mall cause you heard that they are under staffed and could use some help. This guy could have some deep problems and have a Charlie Manson hiding below his good guy image.
                          Attached Files
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

You might wanna try to find out if he works for another security company, who's tryin to hunt for contracts? Blossoming security company's will go to pretty extreme lengths to get work. Didn't believe it until I saw it for myself (didn't see it but the client reported the guys at 3 of our sites). Other companies were actually watching us on some of our sites, and reporting to the client things we should be doing, or did wrong. (They weren't accusing us of doing bad things, just tryin to make us look bad if they could.) Just a little food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by rentalcop View Post
                              You might wanna try to find out if he works for another security company, who's tryin to hunt for contracts? Blossoming security company's will go to pretty extreme lengths to get work. Didn't believe it until I saw it for myself (didn't see it but the client reported the guys at 3 of our sites). Other companies were actually watching us on some of our sites, and reporting to the client things we should be doing, or did wrong. (They weren't accusing us of doing bad things, just tryin to make us look bad if they could.) Just a little food for thought.
                              Yep, I'd say half the complaints our Security Officer Licensing Unit recieves are from other Security companies.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X