Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    During Xmas times busy school holidays, police in our CBD work on horses for traffic control and foot patrols use the hi-vis green hats and vests. It makes a difference for the public to know the police are around. During our events work, I had special yellow and green shirts for our teams as with some 100 bodies inside a crowd of 20 - 30k, the public needed to know where we were or where they could find help too.

Like FLC, we also had all black (hide the sauce stains) uniforms and this was done to ensure that we were not just perceived as another security firm with a K-mart shirt and pants.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    What is the person inside the store directed to do in the event of a break in and what will they be equipped with?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    1 minute & 13 seconds.... Your whole approach (as most private security should be) is to deter the incident, not react after if has happened. It would take over 1 minute & 13 seconds to react to anything you saw on a video.

Even though I work hotel security (which has a history of plain-clothed) I belive most security should be clearly identified for deterence & as mentioned, the Officer's safety.

Leave a comment:

• flashlightcop509
    replied
    Don't feel too bad... I'm kinda in the same boat...

On weekends, I have 5 Officers on site... 2 patrolling indoors, and 3 outdoors; But, during the week when it's not as busy (but still busy), we still get calls from store associates stating they were "lifted" from...

Bear in mind the aforementioned plan... The mall I provide security for has upwards of 75 individual retailers, and during slower weekdays I have only 2 Officers on duty. I can do only so much if a suspected shoplifter is seen at the far end of the mall (with a convenient exit doorway) , while Myself or another Officer may be at the complete other side of the mall to include exterior patrols...

I walk.... I mean I WALK about 12 miles per shift, and my bad, I don't regularly hear from my other Officer at times; But, on a lighter note, I did issue 2 Notice of Trespass' in the past two day, so I wasn't bored altogether...

Leave a comment:

• Security
    replied
    Thank you, EMTGuard and bpdblue, for replying to my question.

Bpdblue, I had not thought about that before, but it makes perfect sense. I think I will stick to wearing the uniform.

Thanks,
    Erik

Leave a comment:

• bpdblue
    replied
    Erik,

In regard to the issue of uniforms vs. plain clothes, as a retired police officer, let me tell you that staying in uniform is the way to be.

This is because if the police are needed at your site, especially if a serious crime is being reported, the responding units will not know you from any bad guys, and until they do, you may very well be considered a bad guy until they know better.

This will be unpleasant for you, and will cause the police to take away from their efforts to catch and deal with the bad guys.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    One more quick question... Do you think it will be safer for our officers if we were wearing plain clothes during the night shift?
    Personally I've always been a fan of very overt security practices as a way to deter crimes such as the ones you mentioned. Like the local mall security which wears very noticable uniforms and patrols the parking lots with their roof lights flashing. They are a visable deterence to anyone casing a place.
    Yes, plain clothes has it's place and I even like the idea of blending overt and covert partols but when you are using only one or 2 SOs to partol an outside mall I'd always say to make yourself known. Marked partol vehicle, spotlight scanning and vary your patrols to confuse anyone watching. Don't stay out front. Keep an eye on the rear of the place too so someone doesn't come in that way. I spent 5 hours of a 12 hour shift last night driving around my steel mill with my spotlight going back and forth in random, confusing and dizzing patrols. Anyone watching my facility would have known that the chance of being seen was almost certain.
    Last edited by EMTGuard; 12-10-2007, 02:05 AM. Reason: spelling misakes

Leave a comment:

• Security
    replied
    One more quick question... Do you think it will be safer for our officers if we were wearing plain clothes during the night shift? After all, no one is supposed to be there to see us in uniform anyway. However, if the burglars were to come back and spot security, I am wondering if wearing plain clothes would make us less of a target?

Thanks,
    Erik

Leave a comment:

• Security
    replied
    Yes, I meant to say burglary, not robbery... sorry about that.

Well, I spoke to my GM today and what was decided between the store and management was that we will end up having two guards on duty. One will patrol the center the whole night and the other will stay in the store (this guard will actually be hired through a security service, he is not actually employed by us.) I took a lot of the advice here, but the only thing that seemed worthy of further consideration was to find out if the police could drive by throughout the night (so thank you to whoever it was that mentioned that!)

Only problem with this, though, (and I just found this out today) is that the burglars were in and out in only a minute and 13 seconds, so I'm not sure the police driving by every hour or so will really make much of a difference.

I wish we could just install CCTV surveillance cameras throughout the center... that way I could monitor everything from the safety of the office, but evidently it is more cost efficient to make the SO walk around all night unarmed - sigh.

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone for helping me out. I did take a lot of your advice and it will hopefully help us out in the future, but for the time being, this is where we stand... But I really appreciate all of your support. Great group of people we have here. -Erik

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Advice??

Lol, I can hear a lone keyboard banging into the night with steady one finger pecks forming: big block paragraphs, bulleted laundry lists, and meaningless words. You are about to enter the 'training' zone. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    CorpSec and Hank1 are correct - you need to ensure you get your terminology correct (no big deal) as it means it may be part of a task force (not sure how big your PD is). In my post the police were 40 minutes away (country area) so the idea of patrols was not so easy to arrange, but we lit the place up like a Xmas tree from the outside and joined up with the local security patrols of the neighbouring buildings for an extra $10.00 a night. Once they know you are on top of them, they will move onto other easier targets.

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Ditto

Corpsec is correct on all points. Burglary and Robbery are significantly different criminal act. Stay visible at all times and as others have stated, not one of those things are worth your life. If you see suspicious activity, call the police right away and be a witness to the activity.

Be Safe,

Hank

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Not to be picky, but the stores were not "robbed", they were burglarized. There is a big difference.

Your goal should be to deter any further criminal activity from happening. Be very visible, vary your patterns, and be on the lookout for anything suspicious. These are crimes of opportunity. Once the crooks see that the window of opportunity has closed, they will go elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• msofin
    replied
    Originally posted by Security View Post
    Hi Everyone.

As I already mentioned in my introduction posting, I work as a security officer in a large shopping center. Well, recently, one of our stores has been robbed not once, but twice in only a week time period. Currently, we only patrol the center from 8 AM - 10 PM, but because the break-ins have been happening in the middle of the night, we are switching to 24-hour survellience throughout the holiday season.

Unfortunately for us, there will only be one guard working per night shift. I am supposed to meet with our GM tomorrow to discuss but wanted to know from people here how might I protect myself if these people were to break in and rob us again while I'm on duty?

Thanks so much!

Erik
    I interviewed for an SO position with IPC this past summer at a somewhat nearby mall. All of their radios had the local PD frequency programed in. The SOs were permitted to radio the police when a dispatcher wasn't on duty for emergencies, mainly for the grave yard shift. Would a set up like this, with the your local PD's permission of course, be something you would find useful to yourself in an emergency?

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Where I once worked before, we had an isolated building near a sporting retailer (clothing and some equipment), a video shop that closed at midnight and 2 vacant stores. The crooks came in prepared using sledgehammers to break throught the cinder block walls. The adjoing store was NOT alarmed. I found a scrap metal place and had a 1 inche steel plate mounted 4' x 4' across the hole they made (it meant they could not come through that area again. Next attempt was to run a truck through the window but the roller grille held up (I had increased the quality of the locking hinges for some give when forced back) and the final attempt was to run a truck through a fire exit - not knowing that I had place 2 bollards inside the stair well (removed by 1st manager onsite). $25k in damage but only $1,200 was taken on all 3 attempts. I paid for a patrol service after night one and being a country area (yes they played banjoes I think) they had 30 miles between patrols sometimes.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X