Hand cuff disscusion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand cuff disscusion.

What style of handcuffs do you prefer? Why?
    (linked, hinged, nickel, black, zip ties, thumb cuffs)

What brand? How long have you had them?
    (ASP, S&W, Peerless, Hitachi, generic...)

How many do you carry? Is it worth the weight?

What type of holder do you use? And at what position on your belt?
    (single case, double case, open case, bikini case, hanging, no case)

What maintenance do you do?
    Never - against policy
    9.52%
    Maybe once
    19.05%
    1-2
    14.29%
    3-4
    19.05%
    5-6
    4.76%
    >6
    33.33%
    Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

I still have my BOS cuffs from the early 90's - never used them once for duty just for training. I have tried the peerless (hinged) cuffs but they need to be placed on 100% correctly and have no margin for error. I have had to many years knowing how to hold someone without them resisting to ever bother with cuffs and SL's are not permitted to be handcuffed here in Australia.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

OK I'll start. This is what I have used for the past two years, but I'm looking for a change

Hinged Cuffs nickle plated

Generic Galls brand - $15 each

I carry 2. I think its too heavy

I used to have two cases, now I use a double case.

Just a little gun oil once of twice a year.
      Police Officer

Comment

Working alone I use them rarely. I do mainly O&R security. However a few times a year I stay after my shift & help overnight (eg Spring Break). I usually use them about once a year then. They are Peerless. Bought them in the late 1970's. Spray them with WD-40 once in a while. Since I work plainclothed it doesn't matter what type of cse, presently I have a full case. Sometimes no case at all, I just hang them on my belt. I'm left-handed & work unarmed so I wear them near my back on the left side.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr619 View Post

I carry hinge and chain cuffs. I use the chain on non cooperative subjects and hinged on cooperative usually.

I carry 2 pairs of S&W and a pair of peerless. I think its worth the weight.

I use a double case on my left hip and a single case (for the hinged cuffs) behind the right hip at about 5 o'clock position

I clean them with soap and water and lubricate them with gun iol.
          "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

I prefer hinged, but by federal edict, carry chain.

Issued Peerless.

One pair. Yes.

Single case, 1930hrs on the belt.

I clean them about once a month, and lightly oil them with whatever oil I have for my Glock.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog View Post
              I carry hinge and chain cuffs. I use the chain on non cooperative subjects and hinged on cooperative usually.
              Correct me if I'm wrong since I've never used hinged... but aren't they better for non-coops because once you get one on you can tweak their arm around for pain compliance
              Police Officer

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong since I've never used hinged... but aren't they better for non-coops because once you get one on you can tweak their arm around for pain compliance
                Having carried both chain and hinged, you have to be careful with hinged because the wrist can be damaged easier than hinged.

You can "tweak" the cuff with both chained and hinged, it just depends on how you hold the cuffs. The hinged is "easier" since it doesn't rotate, but you have to be very careful, its an immovable object and you can crack a wrist that way. Even if you are careful, they can crack their own wrist, for you, resisting.

I've carried anywhere from 1 to 4 cuffs. For plainclothes, I prefer flexible cuffs because they're lighter. Generally speaking, in plainclothes protection, are we really going to release anyone once they've done something stupid enough to warrant handcuffing? Let the cops cut em off, or if you are booking your own, the correctional staff.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

There should have been an option on the poll for guards who carry cuffs and are allowed to detain people with them, but never have; I fall into that category. At the check cashing store where I work, it seems as if all the action requiring people to be detained happens when I'm not there. I suppose that my mere presence is a good thing, due to the fact that in 15 months, I have had only 3 incidents, and none involved me detaining anyone.

Comment

I carry two sets of cuff. One pair is the ASP pair in black. And the second set is stainless Peerless.

Be Safe,

Hank
                    " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I carry 2 pairs of Hiatts, both chain. I've been meaning to pick up a pair of hinged for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Carry them each in a separate case (Bianchi Accumold, like all my gear) at about 1630 and 1930. I used to carry 'em in a double case up front, but the size/weight was just too out of proportion for my tastes. This way, I can still reach a pair with either hand when necessary.
                      Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                      Originally posted by ValleyOne
                      BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                      Shoulda called in sick.
                      Be safe!

Comment

I can use either for pain compliance, but I normally don't use cuffs for pain compliance.
                        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Nathan is correct their is more risk of injury to the suspect with hinged cuffs when using hinged also if the grab on cuff they now have control over both where as with chain you may be able to control the other cuff so they wont be able to take them from you and use them as a weapon.
                          On a side note I read an article from California where a police officer successfully argued in court that handcuffs taken from an officer by a suspect would be considered an edged weapon. due to the teeth being able to be use to cut an officer.

Here's a link to the article http://s115337212.onlinehome.us/Lethal%20Weapon%201.pdf
                          "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

I carry a set of peerless chained, and a set of peerless hinged. I use those bikini cuff cases. I also carry a set of S&W leg irons and a transport belt in the vehicle. Also a set of oversized S&W handcuffs for oversized people.
                            ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Two sets of S&W model 1 hinged cuffs.. Also a set of Trilock composite handcuffs, fit better on small wrists, kinda rare to.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X