• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Curtis Baillie

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Applied Crime Analysis

I just finished 'Applied Crime Analysis' by Karim Vellani - published by Butterworth-Heinemann. For those who are in the business of providing crime analysis to clients - this is a very useful, informative book. It will become one of my go to reference books.

Leave a comment:

• JSam21
    replied
    I would suggest, "Inside The Criminal Mind". I can't remember who wrote it off hand but it was a good read.

Leave a comment:

• integrator97

• integrator97
    replied
    Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
    Much to my lovely wife's dismay, I own about 50 hardcover books and manuals related to security and a few law enforcement books.

Some of these books are expensive, averaging $50 each. The Occupational Safety & Health Library cost me over $500 and a $250 pair of boots for my wife! I would recommend trying to buy them used on Amazon or eBay or see if your public library can obtain them for you.
    I am an avid reader of all types, fiction & non-fiction. Drives my family nuts when all I have is a list of books I want for Bday or Xmas. And I rarely get rid of them. If I ever build my house, I'll have a study/library.

So, being in security, I guess it would be wrong to "file share" electronic copies?

Leave a comment:

• Badge714

• Badge714
    replied
    Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
    Related to security books?
    Well, okay, maybe the Carnegie book will help you talk your way out of a bad situation. But Nickle and Dimed? It's so thin, you couldn't even hit anyone with it (my copy is softcover, too).
    I included a few "non-security" books on my list also:

10. Customer Satisfaction in Worthless (Customer Loyalty is Priceless) by Jeffery Gitomer
    11. Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
    12. What Client's Love, a Field Guide to Growing Your Business by Harry Beckwith.

I should have put them at the top of the list.

One thing to remember is that we're a service industry and teaching our officers to provide superior service should be priority one. Like it or not, we are in the people business, and dealing with people is 90% of our job. (unless you're guarding an empty warehouse or cemetery!)
    If you're an officer who wants to be NOTICED by your client or supervisor, read good books on customer service, and go that extra mile to provide superior service.
    Posted at the guard desk at my accounts, I have a little sign that reads: "OUR MISSION: TO EXCEED OUR CLIENT'S EXPECTATIONS - EVERY DAY" Does teaching guards customer service work? I think so. At one hospital, we just had our third contract renewal, with increases for my officers. Our client didn't ask any other companies for bids.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Chaple

• Mr. Chaple
    replied
    Originally posted by CameraMan View Post

Well, okay, maybe the Carnegie book will help you talk your way out of a bad situation. But Nickle and Dimed? It's so thin, you couldn't even hit anyone with it (my copy is softcover, too).
    How to Win Friends and Influence People -Unless you want to go hands on every day knowing who to talk to people is muy importante
    Culture of Fear - while I believe a healthy dose of paranioa can be a good thing it is important to keep things in perspective.
    Nickle and Dimed - I reccomend this one primarily for officers, as these are the conditions most of us work under
    Contact - more dealing with people

Leave a comment:

• bpdblue
    replied
    The basics...

Your state's Penal Code.

Have you ever read it. Do you know what it says about making citizen's arrest.

Do you know the sometimes very subtle differences between, Robbery, Burglary, Grand theft, and petty theft.

Other crimes like vandalism, assault, battery, ect, are also defined.

Until you know this stuff, the rest of the info in other books (sometimes) do not have definative answers to apply to a situation.

Your state's penal code tells you what is against the law, and by what manner it is against the law (by way of committing a prohibited act, or by not following a required act, ect), and if one thing I have learned in this forum, in a BIG way, is that states have (sometimes) quite different ways of handling similar incidents, even including what the crimes, or incidents, are called.

Your state Penal Code, LEARN IT, LOVE IT, LIVE IT, and you just might make it through your career without too much trouble.

Leave a comment:

• OccamsRazor
    Guest replied
    Principles Of Personal Defense by Col Cooper.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Wicklander-Zulawski

Here's a link for Wicklander-Zulawski (Interview/Interrogation) books and tapes: http://www.w-z.com/online_catalog.php#text_books

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan

• CameraMan
    replied
    Whatever you do, don't purchase this book. Waste of money, won't tell you anything the average third grader doesn't already know.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Depending on your federal tax status you may be able to write industry related book purchases off.

Leave a comment:

• officerchick

• officerchick
    replied
    Christmas List

All I want for Christmas is...

a massive loan to buy all of these books!

Seriously, thanks for so many suggestions. Keep 'em coming. Soon as my printer works again, I'll just print them off and distribute them to the appropriate gift-giving parties. I might even buy some myself.

Leave a comment:

• CameraMan

• CameraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
    How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
    Culture of Fear - Barry Glassner
    Nickle and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
    Contact - Leonard Zunin

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Chaple

• Mr. Chaple
    replied
    A Professional's Guide to Ending Violence Quickly - Marc MacYoung
    The Art of Fight Without Fighting - Geoff Thompson
    How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
    The Gift of Fear - Gavin DeBecker
    Fear Less - Gavin DeBecker
    Introduction to Security - Robert Fischer
    Pre-employment investigation for private investigators - Ralpd D Thomas
    Business Intelligence Investigations - Ralpd D Thomas
    Information Security Best Practices - George L Stefanek
    The Complete Manual of Corporate and Industrial Security - Russell L. Bintliff
    Process of Investigation - Charles A. Sennewald
    Culture of Fear - Barry Glassner
    Conceptual Blockbusting - James L. Adams
    Nickle and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
    What Cops Know - Connie Fletcher
    Contact - Leonard Zunin
    Don't Say Yes when You want to Say No - Jean Baer
    How to Read a Person Like a Book- Gerard Nierenberg

Leave a comment:

• Hank1
    replied
    Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
    Much to my lovely wife's dismay, I own about 50 hardcover books and manuals related to security and a few law enforcement books.
    If I had to pick only a few, I think they'd be:

1. The Effective Security Officer's Training Manual by Ralph Brislin
    2. The Effective Security Supervisor's Manual by Ralph Brislin
    3. The Street Survival Series by Calibre Press
    4. The Security Handbook by Philip Purpura
    5. Private Security and the Law by Charles Nemith
    6. Basic Gunfighting 101 by Michael Rayburn
    7. Introduction to Fire Prevention by James Robertson
    8. Occupational Safety and Health Library (6 volume set) by the National Safety Council
    9. Basic Security Officer; Advanced Security Officer; Safety, and Security Supervision by The International Association for Hospital Safety & Security
    10. Customer Satisfaction in Worthless (Customer Loyalty is Priceless) by Jeffery Gitomer
    11. Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
    12. What Client's Love, a Field Guide to Growing Your Business by Harry Beckwith.
    13. NIMS Incident Command System Field Guide by Jeff Jones
    14. The Protection of Assets Manual by ASIS
    15. The Gentle Art of Interviewing and Interrogation by Robert Royal
    16. Painless Police Report Writing by Barbara Frazee and Joseph N. Davis

Some of these books are expensive, averaging $50 each. The Occupational Safety & Health Library cost me over $500 and a $250 pair of boots for my wife! I would recommend trying to buy them used on Amazon or eBay or see if your public library can obtain them for you.
    Badge~
    Excellent reference books!

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Badge ......... I have boxes of reference books and some e-books sent to me to use as a reference guide. I think there can be an overkill on information in today's society, however a book seems to allow more information to sink in. As I posted before - I have spent enough to buy a house over the last 20 years in text books and reference books ........... as my other half can confirm.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X