Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading List

If this is repeating a previous thread, I apologize.

I'm an avid reader, and I've come across a number of books in this forum, most of which I had no idea existed. I thought perhaps we could start a "Suggested Reading List," more or less. If anyone has a favorite book(s) related to security, please list here. If possible, include why you like it and what topics it addresses. I look forward to suggestions on starting my own security library. Thanks!!
    That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Link to security related books

I list some on my website:
    http://www.securityconsultingstrateg...C_Authors.html
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Guests of the Ayatollah

"Guests of the Ayatollah" -- a well done book about the Iran hostage crisis back in 79. A great lesson on what happens when you don't secure your embassies and don't listen to security reports from agents in the field. Same author as Black Hawk Down, Mark Bowden. Incredibly well reported, IMHO. Not a security text book, but great reading for anyone involved in security, politics, military.

Comment

I also recently read "Securing Global Transportation Networks". Authors: Ritter, Barrett, Wilson. Publisher: McGraw Hill. Foreword by Tom Ridge himself. Book is aimed at the corporate security/risk manager and related consultants.

BTW, Grrrrreat thread idea.

Comment

Red Teaming

I also recommend this book: http://www.redteamone.com/images/DR_RTCover_layout.pdf

Which may be ordered here:
          http://www.redteamone.com/

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by officerchick View Post
            If this is repeating a previous thread, I apologize.

I'm an avid reader, and I've come across a number of books in this forum, most of which I had no idea existed. I thought perhaps we could start a "Suggested Reading List," more or less. If anyone has a favorite book(s) related to security, please list here. If possible, include why you like it and what topics it addresses. I look forward to suggestions on starting my own security library. Thanks!!
            I think thats a great idea 'Officer Chick' that same idea popped into my mind a while back too. If Oprah can have a book club why not SIW, only our books won't make you cry.

This would be great as a referance/education tool for us. My grade school principle would be so proud of me for promoting books.
            I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
              Curtis, may I sugest Yves Lavinge? Great intel on OMG's, In fact I read one book, "good guy bad guy", which focuses on many types of organized crime. Later that month sat in on a buddies criminoligy leture. I learnt just about the same from the book as I learnt in his prof's lecture, which was an intro to asian based organized crime.

Think I mentioned something similar in another thread here.

Cheers

JB
              I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
                I think thats a great idea 'Officer Chick' that same idea popped into my mind a while back too. If Oprah can have a book club why not SIW, only our books won't make you cry.

This would be great as a referance/education tool for us. My grade school principle would be so proud of me for promoting books.
                We can take turns hosting the discussion groups!

Comment

Much to my lovely wife's dismay, I own about 50 hardcover books and manuals related to security and a few law enforcement books.
                  If I had to pick only a few, I think they'd be:

1. The Effective Security Officer's Training Manual by Ralph Brislin
                  2. The Effective Security Supervisor's Manual by Ralph Brislin
                  3. The Street Survival Series by Calibre Press
                  4. The Security Handbook by Philip Purpura
                  5. Private Security and the Law by Charles Nemith
                  6. Basic Gunfighting 101 by Michael Rayburn
                  7. Introduction to Fire Prevention by James Robertson
                  8. Occupational Safety and Health Library (6 volume set) by the National Safety Council
                  9. Basic Security Officer; Advanced Security Officer; Safety, and Security Supervision by The International Association for Hospital Safety & Security
                  10. Customer Satisfaction in Worthless (Customer Loyalty is Priceless) by Jeffery Gitomer
                  11. Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
                  12. What Client's Love, a Field Guide to Growing Your Business by Harry Beckwith.
                  13. NIMS Incident Command System Field Guide by Jeff Jones
                  14. The Protection of Assets Manual by ASIS
                  15. The Gentle Art of Interviewing and Interrogation by Robert Royal
                  16. Painless Police Report Writing by Barbara Frazee and Joseph N. Davis

Some of these books are expensive, averaging $50 each. The Occupational Safety & Health Library cost me over $500 and a $250 pair of boots for my wife! I would recommend trying to buy them used on Amazon or eBay or see if your public library can obtain them for you.
                  "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

Badge ......... I have boxes of reference books and some e-books sent to me to use as a reference guide. I think there can be an overkill on information in today's society, however a book seems to allow more information to sink in. As I posted before - I have spent enough to buy a house over the last 20 years in text books and reference books ........... as my other half can confirm.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Badge714 View Post
                      Much to my lovely wife's dismay, I own about 50 hardcover books and manuals related to security and a few law enforcement books.
                      If I had to pick only a few, I think they'd be:

1. The Effective Security Officer's Training Manual by Ralph Brislin
                      2. The Effective Security Supervisor's Manual by Ralph Brislin
                      3. The Street Survival Series by Calibre Press
                      4. The Security Handbook by Philip Purpura
                      5. Private Security and the Law by Charles Nemith
                      6. Basic Gunfighting 101 by Michael Rayburn
                      7. Introduction to Fire Prevention by James Robertson
                      8. Occupational Safety and Health Library (6 volume set) by the National Safety Council
                      9. Basic Security Officer; Advanced Security Officer; Safety, and Security Supervision by The International Association for Hospital Safety & Security
                      10. Customer Satisfaction in Worthless (Customer Loyalty is Priceless) by Jeffery Gitomer
                      11. Selling the Invisible by Harry Beckwith
                      12. What Client's Love, a Field Guide to Growing Your Business by Harry Beckwith.
                      13. NIMS Incident Command System Field Guide by Jeff Jones
                      14. The Protection of Assets Manual by ASIS
                      15. The Gentle Art of Interviewing and Interrogation by Robert Royal
                      16. Painless Police Report Writing by Barbara Frazee and Joseph N. Davis

Some of these books are expensive, averaging $50 each. The Occupational Safety & Health Library cost me over $500 and a $250 pair of boots for my wife! I would recommend trying to buy them used on Amazon or eBay or see if your public library can obtain them for you.
                      Badge~
                      Excellent reference books!
                      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

A Professional's Guide to Ending Violence Quickly - Marc MacYoung
                        The Art of Fight Without Fighting - Geoff Thompson
                        How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
                        The Gift of Fear - Gavin DeBecker
                        Fear Less - Gavin DeBecker
                        Introduction to Security - Robert Fischer
                        Pre-employment investigation for private investigators - Ralpd D Thomas
                        Business Intelligence Investigations - Ralpd D Thomas
                        Information Security Best Practices - George L Stefanek
                        The Complete Manual of Corporate and Industrial Security - Russell L. Bintliff
                        Process of Investigation - Charles A. Sennewald
                        Culture of Fear - Barry Glassner
                        Conceptual Blockbusting - James L. Adams
                        Nickle and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
                        What Cops Know - Connie Fletcher
                        Contact - Leonard Zunin
                        Don't Say Yes when You want to Say No - Jean Baer
                        How to Read a Person Like a Book- Gerard Nierenberg
                        "A good deed’s like pissing yourself in dark pants. Warm feeling but no one notices." - Jacob Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Chaple View Post
                          How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie
                          Culture of Fear - Barry Glassner
                          Nickle and Dimed - Barbara Ehrenreich
                          Contact - Leonard Zunin
                          Related to security books?

Well, okay, maybe the Carnegie book will help you talk your way out of a bad situation. But Nickle and Dimed? It's so thin, you couldn't even hit anyone with it (my copy is softcover, too).
                          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Christmas List

All I want for Christmas is...

a massive loan to buy all of these books!

Seriously, thanks for so many suggestions. Keep 'em coming. Soon as my printer works again, I'll just print them off and distribute them to the appropriate gift-giving parties. I might even buy some myself.

Comment

Depending on your federal tax status you may be able to write industry related book purchases off.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X