Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Armed

hey all,

I just got my Glock 19 (9mm) today. My firearms permit is still being processed, but I expect to start working armed by Jan. 08.

If there are any words of wisdom from the seasoned armed guards here I would be grateful.
    Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Congrats, and welcome to the next level.

Just remember the gun is your last resort. DO NOT use it unless you have to and be sure to have a good retention holster.
    "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Congrats! Keep the firearm holstered unless it is absolutely neccesary. As stated previously, get a good holster and practice, practice and practice. Keep your finger off the trigger and outside trigger guard unless you intend to shoot.

Be Safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I'm confused how are you able to purchase a hand gun without producing a valid permit? In our state you can't even buy ammo without a permit. Of course if you are a bad guy then you can buy anything without a permit.
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Remember: Off target = Off Trigger - On Target = On Trigger.

A firearm requires you to have alot of respect for yourself and it is not something that we show family and friends at show and tell day. The Glock 19 is what I still have and it is a very simple firearm to operate.

ALL FIREARMS ARE LOADED ........... even those of your trusted colleagues.

I thought the USA was tough on getting permits before purchasing anyting ?
          Last edited by NRM_Oz; 11-28-2007, 01:37 AM.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

No permits necessary here. I can buy just about anything short of a rocket launcher. Class 3 firearms, full auto, are available if I want to apply for the tax stamp. I conceal carry in public and open carry in my home and on my property.
            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
              No permits necessary here. I can buy just about anything short of a rocket launcher. Class 3 firearms, full auto, are available if I want to apply for the tax stamp. I conceal carry in public and open carry in my home and on my property.
              So can someone that was just released from the rubber room at the local funny farm walk into a gun shop and walk out fully armed?

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                So can someone that was just released from the rubber room at the local funny farm walk into a gun shop and walk out fully armed?
                The federal background check is not a permit. Permits to own/purchase a firearm are state (or county/city) inventions. The requirement to run a federal background check on someone does not require a "permit to purchase/own."
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The United States all have different rules.

Here, you get a Premit to Purchase from the dealer, then take it in to the Police or Sheriff and have it checked and registered.

If you want to carry it outside your home, you need a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). That takes a lot longer and costs much more.

Comment

danny the company that first issued me a firearm only required that we had the ability to shoot the state course of fire, with no additional standards or training. I respect that practice because obviously you need some level to define as being proficient with firearms. However, it was my twenty-first birthday when I qualified and I had never shot a gun before. Seeing all those bullet holes sprayed all over the place the first time I shot made me feel uneasy about my personal abilities. Since then I have done a lot of training and practicing. Now my rounds go where I want them to go. This has given me a lot of pride and confidence that goes beyond simply having a gun strapped to my waist. It also helped me tremendously when I applied for another company which has much higher standards. They took all applicants to the range and wouldn't even talk to them about work unless they were former security, military, or LE who could shoot. So it did open the door to more $$$.

I have found that dry fire is the best method of practice. You can Google it and find all kinds of dry fire exercises. You get all your indexing, sight alignment, and trigger pull down without anticipating the bullet leaving the weapon, which is what usually causes the kind of jerking around that will cause you to miss. Then you go to the range and shoot and see what you need to work on. I practice at close range because thats statistically where most gun fights occur. But you can gradually move the target out and hopefully start hitting it at 25 yards, which is my big weakness.

Be safe.

Comment

I'm confused how are you able to purchase a hand gun without producing a valid permit? In our state you can't even buy ammo without a permit. Of course if you are a bad guy then you can buy anything without a permit.
                      I live in California, which has stricter laws than other states. But basically anyone can buy a gun that is over 21 and not a felon. You must pass a background check and wait 10 days.

The permit is to work Armed Security.

Actually yes. As long as the crazy person has not committed any crimes they can buy a gun. Your mental health is considered privileged and not included in a background check. This may soon change after the shooting at Virgina Tech, were the shooter had a mental health history but was still allowed to purchase a gun.
                      Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

Please bare with me on this one because I really want to understand as I read your post in some states anyone can go into a gun shop no matter what your history is and buy guns and ammo? Then leave the gun shop and kill his perceived foes. I can't seem to wrap my head around that concept if I'm understanding what you all are saying. Felons can't vote but can purchase deadly weapons in some states just by plunking some money down??? And if a felon can't own a gun how would anyone know he was a felon before selling him a gun without a back ground check?

Comment

Please bare with me on this one because I really want to understand as I read your post in some states anyone can go into a gun shop no matter what your history is and buy guns and ammo? Then leave the gun shop and kill his perceived foes. I can't seem to wrap my head around that concept if I'm understanding what you all are saying. Felons can't vote but can purchase deadly weapons in some states just by plunking some money down??? And if a felon can't own a gun how would anyone know he was a felon before selling him a gun without a back ground check?
                          I'll try again.

A Federally Mandated Background Check has nothing to do with a State Permit to Purchase a Firearm. All states require a background check for a handgun purchase, under federal law. Some states make it a criminal offense to purchase a handgun without a "permit to purchase" issued by the state itself.

This has nothing to do with the Federally Mandated Background Check. So, no, you cannot plunk money down in a gun store and buy a gun without a background check.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

"Some states make it a criminal offense to purchase a handgun without a "permit to purchase" issued by the state itself."

Ok that is where the problem was. Our state requires a permit contingent on a clean back ground Town, State and Federal background before purchase but it reads like EMT and Kingsman were saying that their states do not. So where in the process do they get background checked. The standard time for ours is 8 weeks. This time includes passing the full NRA course with half day on the range.
                            If you can not get a good grouping you will continue until you do.

Comment

It ain't that easy..........

In California you cannot have a weapon if you have not taken a gun handling / safety class (and then got the state permit for taking the class, but there are some exceptions, like a retired police officer), if you are a convicted felon, a drug addict, have been placed on a mental hold (and that mental hold has been upheld by a court), if you have been convicted of a violent misdemeanor, if there is a domestic violence restraining order against you, and for many other reasons.

SO, anyone who thinks you can purchase a gun in California with no hassles no matter what, is wrong.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X