Gun people beware.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun people beware.

" The U.S. Supreme Court said on Tuesday it would decide whether handguns can be banned in the nation's capital, a case that could produce its first ruling in nearly 70 years on the right of Americans to bear arms.

The nation's highest court agreed to hear an appeal by officials from the District of Columbia government arguing that the city's 31-year-old law banning private possession of handguns should be upheld as constitutional."

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...mendment-case/

Keep an eye on this one cause if it is determined once and for all that the 2nd amendment in fact only applies to "some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well-regulated militia." Then we may have to change our title from Security to Militia Security officers. If this goes in favor of the term Militia being an army then we all are in deep do do. When was the last time you heard a news caster say that the victim was killed by an illegally owned handgun. It's always that the victim was killed buy a handgun period.
    Last edited by Chucky; 11-23-2007, 03:39 PM.
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

I read in one article that one of the people involved in this case was a armed Security Officer who wanted to be able to keep a personally owned pistol at his home in DC. So it has some connection to our forum here already.
    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard View Post
      I read in one article that one of the people involved in this case was a armed Security Officer who wanted to be able to keep a personally owned pistol at his home in DC. So it has some connection to our forum here already.
      You are correct! And I will be watching closely.
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

I believe the Supreme Court is NOT expected to uphold the 30-year ban on firearms and it will be struck down.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
          I believe the Supreme Court is NOT expected to uphold the 30-year ban on firearms and it will be struck down.
          That is correct! However, if you're "passing" through DC, and are not a DC resident you may drive through DC with your firearm, however, as always there is a catch. You must have the firearm unloaded, locked in the secure place in the trunk. I believe you're even suppose to go as far as breaking down the firearm.
          "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The way the email I got from the NRA made it sound a tad bit differently than Anti-gunners who want to take away all the guns.

They made it sound like the plaintiff challenged the gun ban, and now the supreme court is to hear it.

Here is the NRA email I received:

U.S. Supreme Court to Hear First
            Second Amendment Case Since 1939

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fairfax, Va. - The United States Supreme Court today announced its decision to take up District of Columbia v. Heller-a case in which plaintiffs challenge the unconstitutional gun ban in the nation's capital. The District of Columbia appealed a lower court's ruling earlier this year affirming that the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that the District's bans on handguns, carrying firearms within the home, and possession of loaded or operable firearms for self-defense violate that right.

The NRA will participate in this case through briefs as a friend of the court. Oral arguments are likely to take place in early 2008.
            In March, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit held that "[T]he phrase 'the right of the people,' when read intratextually and in light of Supreme Court precedent, leads us to conclude that the right in question is individual." The D.C. Circuit also rejected the claim that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District of Columbia because D.C. is not a state.

The decision marks the first time a Second Amendment challenge to a firearm law has reached the Supreme Court since 1939.
            Anything that hits the fan,
            Will not be evenly distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
              The way the email I got from the NRA made it sound a tad bit differently than Anti-gunners who want to take away all the guns.

They made it sound like the plaintiff challenged the gun ban, and now the supreme court is to hear it.

Here is the NRA email I received:
              Actually, from my understanding former, now councilman Berry started, or atleast had a part in this "lift the band campaign". It will be quite interesting to see what the final outcome will be.
              "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBoynMD View Post
                Actually, from my understanding former, now councilman Berry started, or atleast had a part in this "lift the band campaign". It will be quite interesting to see what the final outcome will be.
                Yeah, that's pretty much what the NRA email said. I can't wait to hear all the "blood will run in the streets" cries from the far left.
                Anything that hits the fan,
                Will not be evenly distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by Contact View Post
                  Yeah, that's pretty much what the NRA email said. I can't wait to hear all the "blood will run in the streets" cries from the far left.
                  It's going to be interesting that's for sure. I can only imagine how many will bring up, the recent shootings with security officers gone crazy. Then you're going to have some bring up the fact that, bordering states (with the exception of Maryland) not only allow firearms in the home, but issue permits to residents (without going through a bunch of BS). Definitely will be interesting..

Comment

I hope your right....

About the Supreme Court over turning the ban, and possibly making a positive ruling on the Second Amendment, because if not, we could be following in the footsteps of our friends from Canada, Austrailia, an England.

Comment

I hope your right....

About the Supreme Court over turning the ban, and possibly even making a strong positive ruling on the Second Amendment, Because if the ruling goes in favor of the ban, weapons for average folks, and maybe even for people in the security field, may follow in the footsteps of our friends in Canada, Austrailia, and England.

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                        About the Supreme Court over turning the ban, and possibly making a positive ruling on the Second Amendment, because if not, we could be following in the footsteps of our friends from Canada, Austrailia, an England.
                        I don't think anyone (that's not a DC resident), will lose sleep over either ruling. However, if the ruling is made where you may bear arms, where are you going to buy your firearms? They're not any gun stores in DC, so really either way you're pretty much SOL anyway. Yup, definitely going to be interesting (playing the circus music).

Comment

Originally posted by BadBoynMD View Post
                          I don't think anyone (that's not a DC resident), will lose sleep over either ruling. However, if the ruling is made where you may bear arms, where are you going to buy your firearms? They're not any gun stores in DC, so really either way you're pretty much SOL anyway. Yup, definitely going to be interesting (playing the circus music).

If it is overturned, It won't be long before there are gun shops in DC. If they try to block all gun shops with business license BS, they will be back in court again.
                          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
                            If it is overturned, It won't be long before there are gun shops in DC. If they try to block all gun shops with business license BS, they will be back in court again.
                            That's what you have to love about the government, they can impose ridiculous fee's for whatever they want. Like for instance most counties in Maryland, charge $150,000 just for a liquor license for bars and clubs. Baltimore apparently isn't issuing anymore liquor licenses, you have to buy out someone else. This isn't apple to apples but, just an example of how much of a PITA the government can be. They're SEVERAL gun shop owners just waiting for the go head to open up shop. I mean, just imagine the profilt these gun owners will make in DC in the first to second year. DC is going to use this to their advantage in a major way. The new chief is talking about authorizing take-home cars, new toys and etc. The gun shops will likely see a very very high tax rate. This is the place that considers any magazine capacity over 10 a full auto. Plus if they (the pissed off tax paying citizens and business owners) sue, just imagine the many years of appeals would come into play.

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                              Possibly but I doubt it. The US has a huge and rich gun history. There are way too many pro-gun advocates and permit carriers for that happen in my opinion. You look at what has happened when firearms have been banned. Crime has skyrocketed. Criminals have no fear when the good guys are unarmed.

Be Safe,

Hank
                              " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X