X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nascar Driver Could Face Jail Time

Driver Could Face Jail Time
    CSD Staff,November 18

Driver Kasey Kahne is being investigated after an incident Friday at Homestead-Miami Speedway that had the Evernham Motor sports star in handcuffs and now facing up to a third degree felony charge of simple battery.

The ruckus started after the final Busch series practice when Kahne with his brother Kale in tow headed to the drivers motor home lot. After an incident earlier in the day when several individuals had entered the highly secure area without the proper credentials, security guards had been instructed to scrutinize every person trying to enter the lot. Friday night when Kahne, dressed in his drivers suit, couldn’t provide the proper credential, the guard refused to allow him entry. According to police, Kahne then attempted to go around the guard.

As to whether Kahne actually bumped or even shoved the guard, is still in question. The result however had the guard on the ground and Kahne briefly handcuffed.

According to police the security guard complained of a discomfort in his chest and was checked by the infield care center for an elevated blood pressure.

While the investigation is continuing; and although very unlikely, Kahne could be charged with misdemeanor simple battery, which under Florida law carries a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

However under a law enacted in 2005 by the State of Florida, a battery charge involving a "licensed security officer," can be upgraded to a third degree felony. A third degree felony in Florida can carry a maximum of five years in jail.

Last edited by bigdog; 11-22-2007, 05:12 AM.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Nascar and/or Kasey will pay the guard's medical bills and Kasey will walk like every other millionaire.
    Craig

Comment

If the SAO files the felony upgrade, he's gonna have a problem, even if he pays the guard's bills.

Any Class D licensee is covered. And as you (in Florida) should know, the crime of Battery is unwanted touching.

The fact he was arrested for simple battery and cuffed, in the first place, means a police officer was taking the charge seriously.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I just don't think this is going anywhere, it will be swept under the rug.
        Craig

Comment

Nascar drivers have a reputation as a rough group, and whether or not the driver gets convicted, this incident might help other drivers remember that they HAVE to remain civilized, even when dealing with this type of situation.

It is also hard to believe that unless the guard that was knocked down was 90 yeards old, or was trying to fake an incident to get some money out of the driver, that he would fall to the ground for no reason. Therefore, the driver should have to suffer the consequences (criminally and civilly) for his actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig S View Post
            I just don't think this is going anywhere, it will be swept under the rug.
            I hope not! But, if you are a celebrity. It's a possibility. We will see what unravels.
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
              Nascar drivers have a reputation as a rough group, and whether or not the driver gets convicted, this incident might help other drivers remember that they HAVE to remain civilized, even when dealing with this type of situation.

It is also hard to believe that unless the guard that was knocked down was 90 yeards old, or was trying to fake an incident to get some money out of the driver, that he would fall to the ground for no reason. Therefore, the driver should have to suffer the consequences (criminally and civilly) for his actions.
              I completely agree with you, but when looking at a majority of recent celebrity/sports figure court cases, money talks and justice walks. It's a damn shame!

Just look at the Lindsey Lohan and Paris Hilton DUI fiascos.

Oh and my personal favorites OJ and Robert Blake, both of whom got away with murder.
              Craig

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X