Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retail Security Problems

thanks guys
    Last edited by bigcollins25; 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM.

I think we all worked with less than productive bodies before. Either you move sites or move companies. When I made Level 4 Officer after 6 months casual service I was told to kick buttocks to get some site people moving. I would be expected to do the work of the Ops Mgr but would do so through audits and it worked, but at the same time - either you report it or you let things slide and become one of them.

What are the supervisor or team leaders like ? If they are useless then the team is useless as most people only follow the examples set by the company standards as well.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Are you able to have an off the record chat with the area Field Manager?
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Thread Re-Direction

I re-directed this thread as it was not related to Loss Prevention / Retail Security.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          Are you able to have an off the record chat with the area Field Manager?
          +1

See what you can do by talking with supervisors/managers. If it doesn't get resolved then you may want to change companies or sites.
          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

I think the relevant question here is: What is your area of responsibility?

...and the answer is: Yourself.

I would suggest that you focus on being, at all times, what you would have others to be. There is no greater force for change in the world than the power of a living, breathing, consistent example of excellence.
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Be careful how you handle this one. You are taking a pro-active stance to your work site, and that is GREAT.

The problem is that the guys are your co-workers, which equates to your back-up. If there are that many problem workers there, and they learn that you told management on them, you could face some possible problems.

Those problems include, but are not limited to, will these guys come to your aid if you need them, will they get together and start making up stories about you being bad, for which some of them will be witnesses to the other guard's story, are some of them low life enough to damage your vehicle (if there is one), ect.

I don't bring things like this up lightly, as I am one who tells people to fight and not just give up, when bad things are going on. BUT, I also believe in telling the person about possible bad things that can happen if they take the fighting (pro-active) approach. I think that is why some of these post just mention you might want to just move on to a new post or company.

Choose wisely, and good luck with this issue. When your co-workers are a bigger problem than the original problem you are suppost to be at your post for, things suck.

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                Be careful how you handle this one. You are taking a pro-active stance to your work site, and that is GREAT.

The problem is that the guys are your co-workers, which equates to your back-up. If there are that many problem workers there, and they learn that you told management on them, you could face some possible problems.

Those problems include, but are not limited to, will these guys come to your aid if you need them, will they get together and start making up stories about you being bad, for which some of them will be witnesses to the other guard's story, are some of them low life enough to damage your vehicle (if there is one), ect.

I don't bring things like this up lightly, as I am one who tells people to fight and not just give up, when bad things are going on. BUT, I also believe in telling the person about possible bad things that can happen if they take the fighting (pro-active) approach. I think that is why some of these post just mention you might want to just move on to a new post or company.

Choose wisely, and good luck with this issue. When your co-workers are a bigger problem than the original problem you are suppost to be at your post for, things suck.
                I have to echo this warning. At a previous job, I worked with co-workers who regularly crossed the line to mistreating customers. In my desire to "do the right thing" and distinguish myself as not one of them, as well as protect the customers and client, I went to Management whenever anything happened. I was listened to, but also ostracized. As indicated by bpdblue, the others did not respond quickly when I needed help, and went out of their way to avoid having me assist when needed. Even management got tired of hearing from me.

As SecTrainer said, the best thing you can do is to continue to perform up to your own high standards. There may come a time when you absolutely have to go up the chain, but try to resolve it there first. Possibly you could start by asking why things are done there a certain way.

Approach it with curiousity, rather than superiority, and you will likely get farther. You may be blown off, but you may also have someone say Ya' know, you're right we have slacked off here. We should change that. But if you start out trying to fix it or change it, especially as a newbie, you will come to be seen as a spy and/or troublemaker. It's a fine, and often difficult, line to walk. Good luck.
                That's a direct quote. Not word for word, but the gist of it.

Comment

thanks guys
                  Last edited by bigcollins25; 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Stupidity at work can lead to injuries and loss of lives and the loss of jobs or contracts. I know 1 site where idiots would take the patrol car offsite to get cigarettes, pizza and other things only to never get fuel to cover themselves whilst out. 1 night it resulted in the theft of a site portable radio which was stolen with a car Charger so we had 4 weeks of no network and Arabic music over the network on every broadcast. The 2 guards involved were queried and the driver was fired with his partner reprimanded by lying to get out of it. A few weeks later I found myself on a night shift with him and he complained about being isolated by staff - to which I said, your lies cost your partner his job as you were both guilty. He lasted a few more weeks until he resigned.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X