Crime on campus.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime on campus.

It's about time colleges started reporting crime that occur on campus.

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher...Id=l:699414125
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Here's a thought, how about letting licensed, trained and FBI checked students carry their concealed weapons on campus. They allow it in Utah and you never hear of a problem there. Instead, Ohio allows students to be victimized. When are they going to learn that giving the bad guy what he wants is not always the answer and that sending text messages doesnt help. I am not a college student but I always delete text messages so I do not pay the fee for them.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

My thought was maybe now colleges and universities will now start reporting crimes commited on campus - instead of hiding it.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Umm..

Where is it ok to hide crimes on campus? Texas law requires it...

Comment

Running the building security contract for an international high schoo / college, the head of the college insisted I did not send any intel reports to the police or report any crimes as she did not want students being turned away by negativity. The campus was in the heart of a very poor and high crime area and it would be like putting a WHITES ONLY Campus in the middle of Harlem - trouble as soon as you hit the pavement. Without reporting anything you get less police presence and you also have something that could be an epidemic.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
            It's about time colleges started reporting crime that occur on campus.
            They knda have to thanks to the The Cleary Act. I believe it's a Federal Law...
            ~Super Ninja Sniper~
            Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

It's not uncommon for colleges to not report actual crimes committed on campus. Just as NRM Oz wrote reports are withheld so the parents of little Johnnie or Suzie don't know what the actual crime rate is.

Here's just one link: http://www.infozine.com/news/stories...iew/sid/24931/

Comment

Colleges will play with their Cleary data. Especially if they don't have sworn police departments, simply because its just private citizens who can't pull the "I'm a cop, you idiot, do you want to go to jail!?" card.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I said, "kinda" sheesh. LOL

All in all colleges and universities are there to make a buck, and bad information (even if it is factual) is gonna harm their recruitment efforts. I have no doubt in my mind that my little CC with holds this type of stuff, especially around Levy Season when they need more money. Besides, who really thinks the Maintenance guys doing security 3% of the time actually know the hwole what and how.
                  ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                  Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

At the college where I have worked for 27 months as a non sworn security officer, nothing has ever been said to anyone in our department about changing crime reports. We are very aware of the CLERY report and everyone knows where copies can be viewed by anyone-anytime day or night. We have a police department which employs both sworn and non sworn personnel.

Comment

This place was a rip-off and the students were all from wealthy chinese families who in good faith sent their kids over here to get a good aussie education (cheapest possible). We had the Triads, 5 T (Vietnamese) and a host of other extortionists as the kids came over here loaded (not uncommon to find a kid with $10 - 15k US in new $100.00 bills walking around a campus for 4 days before they went to a bank. Mp3 players and flip mobiles were coming direct from China with these kids and they were targets for the local gangers. But of course we were never allowed to tell the police as those college agents in China were telling the parents to send their kids to another college - big kickbacks too.
                      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Hell...we reported every crime on campus. If nothing else, it made us look better for catching it. Even if it was just an attempt, we got a full report and then PD was called. I have called the locals to come out and even write up for suspicious persons. This serves us in two ways. One, people see that we will not hesitate to involve LEO's. Two, it 'red-flags' our area for more frequent police sweeps. We would get in serious crap for not handling the stats correctly.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X