No announcement yet.

employee attendance problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall a few graveyard shifts when I had a cough and cold and would be leaving home at 2200 and be going out into the cold winter night air (ok it did hit 30's which for us is freezing cold with an icy wind) and I would have a swig from the cough mixture bottle to make it through the 5 hour shift. I knew I would come home and rest but at the same time, was not sedimentary at home. This post paid me over double the day rate due to the high risk involved but it was just a transit inspectors role in a nutshell. I have shift swapped with some people and bought them a packet of smokes or dinner when they have taken over my shift or vice versa at short notice - just to say thanks.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

[QUOTE=NRM_Oz;45376]I recall a few graveyard shifts when I had a cough and cold and would be leaving home at 2200 and be going out into the cold winter night air (ok it did hit 30's which for us is freezing cold with an icy wind) and I would have a swig from the cough mixture bottle to make it through the 5 hour shift. I knew I would come home and rest but at the same time, was not sedimentary at home.

I sure hope you meant sedentary

Comment

I give as much notice as possible.. if I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like crap and being dead to the world I'd call in at that point because 9 times out of 10 it's not going to get any better.

I had one instance where I was one of 2 guards at a live-in posting. I caught my bi-annual cold... I don't get sick but once every 2 years, but when it hits it's a bad one.. anyway, getting sicker and sicker, I just told the other guard, my supervisor, that I was going to take the next day off but i would leave my radio on the security channel and if he required me for anything serious (working as guard-EMT for the camp) then give me a holler and I'd suck it up.

Notice is not required with the company I work with, as per the employment agreement.. but I will still give as much as possible knowing that burning bridges is a bad thing. People don't understand the grass isn't always greener!
        Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
          I agree that someone who is late on a regular basis, and does not call in (if possible) to report they are going to be late or sick, within a reasonable amount of time (and the amount of time necessary IS debatable) should be handled in the usual ways.

First, the verbal warning; and if it happens again within 6 months;

Second, the write-up; and if it happens again within 6 months;

Third, the suspension; and if it happens again within 6 months;

Fourth, the termination.

There are exceptions to every rule, and some exceptions are if the employee gets into an accident on the way to work and cannot call, if the employee has a true family emergency and cannot call, If the employee is abducted by aliens and cannot transport back to earth , or any other valid explanation that is brought up by the employee. In these cases there should be NO action taken against the employee.

In regard to the "how much notification time should an employee be required to give if they are going to be late or sick," I think that depends on several circumstances. As brought up in this post, if you have a 12 or more hour shift, and you normally get up a couple of hours before your shift starts, how can you call in four hours before the shift starts to make notification that you are going to be sick today. There are always reason why a rule had to be broken, and so those reasons need at least to be listened to to determine if they were reasonable. If no reason is given, then it must be assumed there was no reason to have committed the company infraction by the employee.
          I had an employee claim her purse had been stolen for the fourth time and her car keys were in it. Funny thing was, she always managed to come up with a new set of keys. The last straw was when she told me her car had been stolen (a company vehicle). I drove over to see for my own eyes, and low and behold the car was parked right in front of her house. She almost went to jail for filing a false police report. If it would have been a guy, he would have went to jail. She claimed that it must have been someone who had stolen her purse (1 of 4 times) and they had keys to her car, and then they brought the car back and parked it in front of her house when they were through with it. She had to go, that was just the final straw.
          ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

I also believe in giving as much notice as I can. However, 4 hours may not be possible when it comes to gastrointestinal issues such as nausea/vomiting or unexpected motor vehicle problems. If you have a good track record, then your supervisor should understand. If not, expect consequences for a no call, no show incident.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X