Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby it is cold outside

Here is the Boston area on November 12th some of the area ponds had
    a thin coating of ice this morning. About 25 degreees farenheit.

A bit chilly because we are on outside patrol for over an hour.
    January should be loads of fun when it 5 above zero.

How do you keep warm on patrols outside? How long are you outside?
    Do you deal with walking through snow drifts two feet high?
    Have you ever slipped and fall on a sheet of ice in a parking lot?
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

About 70 something here today. Very nice out, a bit cloudy though.

I used to have to do 6 hours outside, in a chain link fenced parking lot of semi trailers, a couple hundred yards from the suisan bay outside of San Francisco. No shack. No vehicle. Rain. Midnight to 6am. Brrr.

I've fallen on ice, but not on guard duty.
    sigpic
    Rocket Science
    Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
    One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

well...

I keep warm on patrols by being in Texas and not having to deal with cold.

Comment

10 degrees this morning when I assumed post. It's just going to get colder as well.

Snow drifts? Yep, walking patrols.

Our patrol rigs are crew cab GMC duramax diesels, and the majority of our roving patrols require being in a vehicle for communications, etc.

If we do foot patrols.. basically anything outside, we wear either issued spikys for our feet. I have a set I bought myself manufactured by 32 north.

Here is a link. http://www.32north.com/prod_stab.htm

For staying warm, layered long johns are a must. Our issued jackets are plenty warm, but I find that I need at least single if not double sets of long johns for my lower extremities.

Headgear, a goretex lined beanie/watchcap is a good idea. Cuts the wind. Something even better if it gets bad enough is a balacalava if they are allowed in your uniform.

Footwear is key as well, waterproof insulated is great.. danner, acadia, rocky all make great footwear, most danner and rocky are designed as uniform wear as well and will take a decent shine even with actual use. Shining is key because it will prevent your boots from having snow on them then absorbing the resulting cold water into the boot, and causing your feet to cool down quicker.

If you have standard snow throughout your patrol area like I can and have had, snowshoes might be an idea. I've had to use them, I have a company issued set here as well as a personal set I prefer. Easier to run in my set if I had to go after someone or something.
        Last edited by Alaska Security; 11-12-2007, 05:35 PM.
        Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

One of the benefits of living in California. I do not miss Montreal and New Brunswick winters at all.
          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
            Here is the Boston area on November 12th some of the area ponds had
            a thin coating of ice this morning. About 25 degreees farenheit.

A bit chilly because we are on outside patrol for over an hour.
            January should be loads of fun when it 5 above zero.

How do you keep warm on patrols outside? How long are you outside?
            Do you deal with walking through snow drifts two feet high?
            Have you ever slipped and fall on a sheet of ice in a parking lot?
            Quit' cher whinning!

Post when you see -4 F, we see that in January/February, add a wind chill and the suck factor gets much worse, to the point where skin WILL freeze in am matter of seconds if exposed. It's not as bad if it's a dry cold but if it's damp at all it goes right through your bones, the best thing you can do is dress in layers and keep moving.

I hate winter...
            I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

I went to boot camp at Great Lakes, in December '81 & January '82. Set records with a wind chill of -81 degrees. The only thing exposed when outside was our eyes.
              sigpic
              Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

For a working shift of 9 hours i pass about half of my shift outside here in the eastern township mountain it can be very cold during january night , im wearing military windpant with helly hansen linning and a Black military parka with a winter trooper hat and gore tex balaclava and clear lense ski google i dont have and inch of skin exposed in winter and for boot im wearing military muckluck .

Last winter on St-Valentine day a snow storm had leave snow drift of 4 foot on my contract site even our patrol had trouble to pass trough even with all the cold and snow we can have here i love to live here

Comment

Originally posted by integrator97 View Post
                  I went to boot camp at Great Lakes, in December '81 & January '82. Set records with a wind chill of -81 degrees. The only thing exposed when outside was our eyes.

I too did my camp in the Navy at Great Mistakes. December-January.
                  Snow-Snow-Snow. Found out the boots do a lot of shovling of the
                  white stuff.
                  http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Tips

- Use inexpensive hand/feet warmers

- Wear footwear that can maintain traction on ice

- Never go out w/o some way of calling for help, 2-way/cell phone, etc.

- For subzero temperatures, don't wear cotton. If it gets wet, you’re in trouble

- Consider carrying an energy bar and water if there is a possibility of being outside for an extended period.

- Quit until summer....
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
                      - Quit until summer....
                      I'd go with that last one. Unfortunately I'm to poor, and would starve.
                      sigpic
                      Rocket Science

One Man's Opinion

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X