Alarm company question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alarm company question

A couple of weeks ago, we had one of our anchor stores burlarized. We didnt get the call from the POLICE until 20 mins after the fact.

I want the alarm companies and/or police to notify us to responses on property, moreso after hours. Not all in-line stores have alarm companies they use but all the anchors do. Since the LP's are not willing to cooperate well and do not communicate, can I just call their alarm company to tell them to call us? Or can I talk to a communications supervisor at the PD to make notes to call us when the alarm company calls them?

We really need to know about these after-hours alarms. I appreciate any help! Thanks!
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

The alarm company will not talk to you, period. You're not paying them. I also doubt the police department will give that information out, as well.

Basically, if the anchor stores refuse to have you informed, then you're not going to be informed till the police show up. This sounds like something that the Mall's management company must address with each anchor store, individually.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The Col. is right. The alarm company will not give you any information. If they did someone would be instantly fired. The best course of action would be to contact the management and discuss with them the facts and the good/bad of your company being notified. It is up to the alarm companies client to make those decisions.

Comment

It will have to come from the store. Explain the situation to the store manager, that you can respond much faster, and ask that they add you to the list as a 2nd dispatch agency. The PD isn't going to do it, no way, no how. The alarm company (us) isn't going to add you on unless they get the word from the customer (the store).

Also, mall management may ask the store to add you, so you can do a report in a timely manner.
        sigpic
        Rocket Science
        Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
        One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Guys, I am not asking the alarm company or PD to give us anything. I am asking if I can give the alarm company or PD our information that way when they pull up the stores information, they (alarm company or PD) can call us. Sometimes the PD will call us (same goes for alarm companies), but most times not. That goes for in-line or anchor stores.

Comment

Giving them your information equates to having them put you as a seconday contact... which means you are basically asking them to call you.

They ain't gonna do it.
            Overmotivated and Underpaid... I'm a Security supervisors wet dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Security View Post
              Giving them your information equates to having them put you as a seconday contact... which means you are basically asking them to call you.

They ain't gonna do it.
              Unless it comes from the customer.
              sigpic
              Rocket Science
              Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
              One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

You're asking them to give you a call. That's what you're asking, and they can't do that.

That would be like me asking, quite frankly. Yes, you have a business arrangement with the store. But you're not the store. If the alarm companies or police dispatch started calling other people who ask to be put on without the store's permission, then what stops me from getting on that list?

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

OK, I gues I can see your point.

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                    OK, I gues I can see your point.
                    By the way, who's your alarm company? I would like to be put on the list as a consultant, so I can consult to make posts here about interesting things that happen at your mall

Comment

Any easier solution would be to just monitor the scanner. I always monitor the police agency in the city I am working. Its valuable for other information as well, such as crimes committed near your property.
                      ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

What does Management put in the lease for these stores? Is Security to be informed?
                        Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                        Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
                          Any easier solution would be to just monitor the scanner. I always monitor the police agency in the city I am working. Its valuable for other information as well, such as crimes committed near your property.
                          Thought the Police were getting away from scanner frequencies heard by the public
                          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                          Groucho Marx

Comment

Let me see if I can throw in my two cents here to help make it an easier read. I will use Sears as the business and ADT as the alarm company to keep it simple.

Sears has a contract with ADT to monitor the premises. Sears provides, to ADT, a list of contacts to call in case of an alarm. Sears has the choice on whether to call the property first, the police, a security company, the on call maintenance man, whomever. Most of the time it goes like this:
                            1. Premise
                            2. Police Department
                            3. Key Holder #1
                            4. Key Holder #2

Sears is the only one who can change the list.

Now, I believe you said you are an in-house department. Is the anchor store leased from your property owner? If so, you might have a leg to stand on. If the anchor store is owned outright then there is pretty much no reason for you to be notified.

If I as the security director wanted to be notified, I would suggest on having the call list set up as:
                            1. Premise
                            2. Mall Security
                            3. Police Department

Since you will have keys to the store there is no reason to have key holder respond. In fact, that may be a way of getting on the list. Tell the store manager that you will act as key holder for the store in case the alarm goes off. Have your office added to list as the number two person to be called because you can be on scene within two minutes. Your crew can do a scene size up and probably a primary search before police arrive.

I can expand on this more if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Chimpie View Post

Since you will have keys to the store there is no reason to have key holder respond. In fact, that may be a way of getting on the list. Tell the store manager that you will act as key holder for the store in case the alarm goes off. Have your office added to list as the number two person to be called because you can be on scene within two minutes. Your crew can do a scene size up and probably a primary search before police arrive.

There is no way in hell a company is going to let you have keys to their store.

That being said, try and talk to the store manager or LP manager. Give them a rundown of how it will be beneficial to the store. You can be onsite first and check out the scene. You can accompany them as they enter the store. A keyholder from that store will ALWAYS have to be there.

Here is a rundown of our department store call list.

Call #1 - premise
                              Call #2 - police
                              Call#3 - key holder #1, #2 down the list until someone answers
                              Call #4 - mall security to let them know what is happening

Also the local police dispatch always call mall security and let them know of the alarm and that police are responding.

You may want to talk to the police and request they call you whenever they are dispatched to mall property (if applicable).

You have to prove to the store that it is worth having you guys respond.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X