interview help for nuclear plant securty position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interview help for nuclear plant securty position

I have my first interview for a security position tomorrow and am in need of interview help. This is a full time armed position at a Nuclear power plant. I find myself very nervous in interviews and would like to prepare myself with questions I may face. I have researched typical interview questions but now am looking for security specific questions. Thank you very much for any and all advice and guidance.

Matt

Also what questions should I ask?

Comment

I take it this is for Davis Besse?
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

yes it is ......

Comment

The security company company that I owned had the guard contract there.....many moons ago.

The immediate issue that comes to mind is - What qualifies you to carry a firearm? What is your background?
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I'm not sure about the Nuke-sec industry but...

I have learnt that most interviews for large companies and police services are Behavioural based, I know ours are here where I am. I.E. interviewer asks, 'Tell me/us about a situation where ________ happened. And what you did about it, and the outcome/result'?

They don't always need to be 'hero of the universe' type situations or outcomes, they simply want to know how you have/will react. While preparing for these types of interviews research Behavioural interviews as well as the STAR technique which is a great tool to reference for answering:

Situation or
            Task
            Action you took
            Results you achieved

Think about things YOU have encountered in life and what you did to solve the problem, the question may be work related or not as can most answers.

Some questions might be about co-worker relations I.E. your co-worker is watching **** on a company computer, or your co-worker is constantly late, how would or did you confront them. What was the outcome?

Keep your answers honest as they may research references and ask about a situation, in fact when providing answers to interviews, references and so on, assume that the employer will or already has contacted these people and researched prior to you being there or will in the very near future.

Remember the truth shall set you free, and sometimes hook you up with a good gig!

Best of luck!!!
            I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

I would prepare by writing down past situations where you had to deal with difficult people, ethics issues, integrity issues, and team work. You will get questions asking when you had to deal with (fill in the blank) and what was the outcome. I would also check out www.NuclearPlantSecurity.com

California Security Blog
              Domain Registration Services

Comment

Well, I told Wackenhut Nuclear that I had been fired from Wackenhut's "Custom Protection Division" and they offered me a job anyway. They said that they knew the people running the "everyday type secutiy" were a bunch of jokers and I passed the background. The hospital was closer, paid more money, and I didn't have to carry a firearm, so I took that job instead...
                Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by Toledogradmatt View Post
                  I have my first interview for a security position tomorrow and am in need of interview help. This is a full time armed position at a Nuclear power plant. I find myself very nervous in interviews and would like to prepare myself with questions I may face. I have researched typical interview questions but now am looking for security specific questions. Thank you very much for any and all advice and guidance.

Matt
                  First, if I were you I would research the subject (nuclear security) to give yourself a solid understanding of the basic info. Beyond that, it is about attitude. Don't act like you know things that you don't know, and be perfectly honest and confident in your honesty.
                  formerly C&A

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                    Well, I told Wackenhut Nuclear that I had been fired from Wackenhut's "Custom Protection Division" and they offered me a job anyway. They said that they knew the people running the "everyday type secutiy" were a bunch of jokers and I passed the background. The hospital was closer, paid more money, and I didn't have to carry a firearm, so I took that job instead...
                    Wackenhut.....that is a damn shame really. The company is in serious trouble on the nuclear side of the business. Be glad you didn't take the job.
                    formerly C&A

Comment

Originally posted by cocknaces View Post
                      Wackenhut.....that is a damn shame really. The company is in serious trouble on the nuclear side of the business. Be glad you didn't take the job.
                      Yep, here's the "side-by-side" for ya;

Monicello Nuclear - 41 miles (one way)
                      HCMC - 21 miles (one way)

Monticello Nuclear - M-4 carbine / HK USP 40
                      HCMC - ASP / Pepper Foam / X-26 Taser w/camera

Monticello Nuclear - $13.50 per hour starting
                      HCMC - $14.30 per hour starting (5 years later now at $20.32 per hour, not including differentials)

To me, it was a no brainer...

Comment

Yep, here's the "side-by-side" for ya;

Monicello Nuclear - 41 miles (one way)
                        HCMC - 21 miles (one way)

Monticello Nuclear - M-4 carbine / HK USP 40
                        HCMC - ASP / Pepper Foam / X-26 Taser w/camera

Monticello Nuclear - $13.50 per hour starting
                        HCMC - $14.30 per hour starting (5 years later now at $20.32 per hour, not including differentials)

To me, it was a no brainer...
                        Excellent example for the unarmed side of the argument of which is the better job/career choice. Nice decision making.

On the flip side, our NSO's make a base salary of $819 per week + benefits, some personal days etc.
                        Last edited by junkyarddog; 11-14-2007, 07:48 AM.
                        formerly C&A

Comment

As a hospital security guard, you'd have a ton of interesting stories to tell about dealing with psychotic people and all sorts of other stuff.

As a nuclear security guard, you can constantly retell the story of the time six years ago that a deer set off the motion sensors.....

Comment

Originally posted by cocknaces View Post
                            Excellent example for the unarmed side of the argument of which is the better job/career choice. Nice decision making.

On the flip side, our NSO's make a base salary of $819 per week + benefits, some personal days etc.
                            Right now, I'm getting 121.6 hours of vacation, 112.18 hours of sick time, and about 64 hours of differred holiday time (basically vacation time) per year. I only worked 6 days in September (took time off for my wedding and honeymoon) but was paid for every hour that I was originally scheduled.

Comment

Right now, I'm getting 121.6 hours of vacation, 112.18 hours of sick time, and about 64 hours of differred holiday time (basically vacation time) per year. I only worked 6 days in September (took time off for my wedding and honeymoon) but was paid for every hour that I was originally scheduled.
                              Nice deal. Your good to go.
                              formerly C&A

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X