Would you write a report on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you write a report on this?

Last night, two of our contract cleaning crew members had their vehicle windows busted on a public street. They weren't even on "our" side of the street.

They seemed to want me to do the whole dog and pony show of bringing out the digital camera and making a bigger deal of it than it was. I notified the police here on their behalf (neither speaks good english) and they told me exactly what I thought. Since it was an after the fact damage to property incident with no suspect info they won't send a squad, but ask that you call back during normal business hours to file the report over the phone.

I made a note of our involvement in our daily shift report. I came on tonight and and one of the officers we were relieving said he had read that a couple of contractors had their windows broken but couldn't find the report. I told him that the reason he couldn't find the report is because one wasn't written. I told him that since it happened on a public street it was out of our "jurisdiction" so to speak and that we would be entering a slippery slope if we started taking reports on such items, especially for contractors.

Had it been a Company employee that wanted a report or involved something other than a property crime (ie: employee harassed while walking to their car off-site), I would have made a report.

The officer seemed taken aback a bit that I didn't take pictures and make a report.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this

I gather that company policy and/or post orders are silent on this subject so it's just a matter of opinion, and in that case I don't believe a report is called for - you obviously made a log notation of some kind, and that should suffice.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
      Last night, two of our contract cleaning crew members had their vehicle windows busted on a public street. They weren't even on "our" side of the street.

They seemed to want me to do the whole dog and pony show of bringing out the digital camera and making a bigger deal of it than it was. I notified the police here on their behalf (neither speaks good english) and they told me exactly what I thought. Since it was an after the fact damage to property incident with no suspect info they won't send a squad, but ask that you call back during normal business hours to file the report over the phone.

I made a note of our involvement in our daily shift report. I came on tonight and and one of the officers we were relieving said he had read that a couple of contractors had their windows broken but couldn't find the report. I told him that the reason he couldn't find the report is because one wasn't written. I told him that since it happened on a public street it was out of our "jurisdiction" so to speak and that we would be entering a slippery slope if we started taking reports on such items, especially for contractors.

Had it been a Company employee that wanted a report or involved something other than a property crime (ie: employee harassed while walking to their car off-site), I would have made a report.

The officer seemed taken aback a bit that I didn't take pictures and make a report.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this
      Not on the property listed in the security contract. Not a matter for contract security. Once off the property you are a regular citizen like everyone else as you have, in effect, rightly stated and in no way responsible. Its a matter for the police and insurance company. I think you did right.

Comment

Agreed

Why would you write a report when you can't do anything about it in the first place?

If you didn't see it happen you can't be a witness to it. Besides what's your company going to do about it, I am guessing nothing since they were parked off the property, not to mention contractors.

If it was something being criminal in nature then definately, I would write a report.

I agree with your actions and would do the same.
        I'm the guy you don't want to be around when your doing something wrong, but you can't wait for me to get there when your down, to fix you up...

If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

We are in house, but that doesn't change anything. The police report is what they need for their insurance.

The only upside I could see of writing a report is to help paint the picture of the neighborhood surrounding our buildings as unsavory and thus justifying our existence and staffing levels. However, once they make the telephone report, it will show up on the local crime map which we get a copy of anyway.

Comment

My hotel is not one of them but there are downtown hotels that don't have their own parking lots. Guests are directed to public nearby lots. These hotels do write reports when incidents happen. The info is recorded to lobby the police for better surveillance etc. If guests have bad experiences at a parking lot suggested by a hotel it will eventually effect the business of the hotel.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I would have completed a report (after 20 years, the CYA principal always comes in) but without going into too much detail about how many inches the cars were parked from the painted lines). It is peace of mind to the staff knowing that you did what you could and also for something the police may just uses as a supporting document to their own reports.

Normally the police will issue a report number which if listed in your shift and incident logs will be included so that there is a reference number for any future follow up. It also ensures that the client knows that you are taking the extra steps to cover their staff as well.
              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                I would have completed a report (after 20 years, the CYA principal always comes in) but without going into too much detail about how many inches the cars were parked from the painted lines). It is peace of mind to the staff knowing that you did what you could and also for something the police may just uses as a supporting document to their own reports.

Normally the police will issue a report number which if listed in your shift and incident logs will be included so that there is a reference number for any future follow up. It also ensures that the client knows that you are taking the extra steps to cover their staff as well.
                I see what you are saying, but I am the client as I am the in house supervisor. Also, we are in a big city and there will be no follow up at all by the police in a minor property damage crime like this. That is why they don't even bother sending a squad out. You just call it in during business hours to get a case number for your insurance company and it ends up being another dot on the police stat map.

There is a lot of crime, minor and otherwise, in the neighborhood in which I work. I have written reports on things that have happened off property if I was a witness or provided the police with surveillance footage. However, I feel that if we start writing reports on matters such as property damage that occurs off our property, where will it end?

Comment

I agree with SecTrainer... a daily log entry is sufficient.
                  "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I wouldn't have made a report. I would have noted the people coming to see me and that i contacted the police for them. But i wouldn't have completed an incident form for reasons:

I wasn't witness to the crime happening.
                    I wasn't involved.
                    Its not in my juristiction.

I had an incident happen a few months ago off, site which i had to write a report about because it involved members of my team, but other than that, I see no reason to give yourself extra work to do. Its a shame that the police don't send officers around for incidents that that, but this is the nature of the beast these days and the only real interest they'll take in the case is to assign a crime number to it. Sad but true. I was involved in an attempted mugging a couple of months ago and apart from a cursory visit and interview with a single officer there was no other involvement with the police.

Comment

Contractors indirectly work for the company, I would have made a report, more for the other shifts to keep up to date than anything else. May not have taken photos, but at least with the report they could not come back later saying it happened on site.

I have called the Police once because of someone else's accident. They did not want any third hand information and told me so. Your car, your call, is my policy now.
                      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

I too, agree! I would not have written a CIR on the incident. If I read your post correctly, you called LE. That was good enough. But, I would have created a report as "Informational" for the client. We do this by calling the situation via radio or we do this by using our laptops. I think you acted appropriately in this matter.

Be Safe,

Hank
                        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

There's no report here. It has nothing to do with the company you work for. Yes, its a contractor's vehicle, but no, its not on your property. My log entry would of read:

Contractor A and B reported to me their car windows were smashed out. The cars are located on X street. Assisted them in calling the police. Police told them to call back during business hours.

Continued patrol.

I'm leery of mission creep, and this sounds like a prime example of it. If you start taking reports and investigating crimes on public property because it involves employees or contractors, then next thing you know the duty of care has jumped to the point you're now supposed to be protecting those vehicles on public property.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Don't be a deputy dog. A log entry is all its worth. People trying to exploit insurance would like gullible guards wasting their customers time and resources (your time) documenting fraud and legitimatizing what 'they' say.

[Rant Deleted. Order Restored]
                            Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 11-11-2007, 05:57 PM. Reason: Anti-Mexican tirades are prohibited around these parts.

Comment

Originally posted by geordiekimbo View Post
                              Its a shame that the police don't send officers around for incidents that that, but this is the nature of the beast these days and the only real interest they'll take in the case is to assign a crime number to it. Sad but true. I was involved in an attempted mugging a couple of months ago and apart from a cursory visit and interview with a single officer there was no other involvement with the police.
                              You are lucky they at least come. For crimes like that in Montreal you have to go to the police station, fill out your own report & the police add a report number to it. Imagine how many minor crimes are not being reported? A mom & pop corner store owner is not going to close his store to go to the police station to file a report everytime someone steals a case of beer. At the end of the year the politicans proudly point out how minor crimes have gone down Bull ship! Minor crime has not goen down, the REPORTING of minor crime has gone down
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X