• Eric
    replied
    Cactus
    I sent you a PM

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
    Eric, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ANY Ottawa government job down on the city or National Capital level require a person to be bilingual?
    You are not far off.
    The City job board often lists bilingual would be an asset, but are going a similar route as federal. That is bilingual gets the promotion. Federal still have some english only jobs listed, but see above.
    Our province has deemed eastern Ontario bilingual for signage and many jobs even some listed for Toronto ( a 4.5 hour drive from Ottawa).

Leave a comment:

• Cactus
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric View Post
    While reading your initial comments, I thought maybe you were in the Detention Center on Innes Road.

French has become more than just an asset for Government jobs, the school boards do offer full French Immersion and less intensive programs.

Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Shoppers Drug Mart use their own inhouse Loss Prevention. Gilmore in Kanata is looking. Try Monster.ca & Workoplous.com a few times a week, even Carleton University. Various Police and the Military are looking. The RCMP only require either English or French.
    Ottawa University is totally bilingual and require staff to be.

BIGSHOT CEO, other than 80/year for registration, a clothing change and some different markings on the cars, I do not see a big cost for InHouse with the new Act.

Not all French are bad, not all English are bad, here is a postive true generalization -Ottawa is still a beautiful city and safe for tourists of any language skill.
    Thanks alot Eric, some great help there I will look into these places. Until I get hired at another place though I will pursue my 2nd and 3rd language training. (I hear Spanish is easy once you know French or Italian, apparently all 3 are alike)

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Cactus View Post
    Yes sir, I did go to school in Ottawa, however it is only manditory to take French up to grade 9, after that it is up to the student to pursue it. When I was in school I had no interest in learning French as I found mastering other languages too hard. However now I realize that working in Ottawa, one should know french as the bilingual guys will blow you off with a I don't speak English. Some even have the balls to say it in perfect english. LOL, worse yet (had this happen right outside Quebec) I had a guy say "I don't speak english." then I said, really because you just told me you can't speak english.... in english. he responded (no joke) i only know how to say that phrase and this phrase in english. I responded with a "ok, well you need to stay off of private property. he then 'tabernaqued me' and as far as I remember thats some form of curse word. I laughed about that for a while.
    I don't think that Ottawa people that deal with the public should speak French just because the "bilingual guys will blow you off". I think it should be required as resoect for French Canadians. Canada has 2 Offical Languages. Ottawa is Canada's capital. Simple!

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Eric, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ANY Ottawa government job down on the city or National Capital level require a person to be bilingual?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    I have never taken the time to really learn about Canada and I probably should. I will say that it is the only place outside of the U.S. that I would visit since I have no desire to travel great distances and no desire to go to Mexico.
    And if you contact me before coming to Montreal I can usually get you the Friends & Family special rate at the hotel

Leave a comment:

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    I do speak the universal language though ............ MONEY. Go into any country and want to buy something and suddenly English Language skills come from out of the blue. As much as I like YankLand ......... I would love to venture up into Canada and just see some of the beautiful lakes and mountains.

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    While reading your initial comments, I thought maybe you were in the Detention Center on Innes Road.

French has become more than just an asset for Government jobs, the school boards do offer full French Immersion and less intensive programs.

Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Shoppers Drug Mart use their own inhouse Loss Prevention. Gilmore in Kanata is looking. Try Monster.ca & Workoplous.com a few times a week, even Carleton University. Various Police and the Military are looking. The RCMP only require either English or French.
    Ottawa University is totally bilingual and require staff to be.

BIGSHOT CEO, other than 80/year for registration, a clothing change and some different markings on the cars, I do not see a big cost for InHouse with the new Act.

Not all French are bad, not all English are bad, here is a postive true generalization -Ottawa is still a beautiful city and safe for tourists of any language skill.
    Last edited by Eric; 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cactus
    replied

Did you go to school in Ottawa? Isn't French part of the school system? (I'm not being a smart a*s I just assumed both of Canada's Offical Languages would be taught in Canada's capital).

I believe most Quebec Security "Agents" are paid $12.50/hour as per the government decree. (Plus 30 cents an hour if they do first aid, another 30 if they respond to fire alarms etc). What is the going rate in Ontario?
    Yes sir, I did go to school in Ottawa, however it is only manditory to take French up to grade 9, after that it is up to the student to pursue it. When I was in school I had no interest in learning French as I found mastering other languages too hard. However now I realize that working in Ottawa, one should know french as the bilingual guys will blow you off with a I don't speak English. Some even have the balls to say it in perfect english. LOL, worse yet (had this happen right outside Quebec) I had a guy say "I don't speak english." then I said, really because you just told me you can't speak english.... in english. he responded (no joke) i only know how to say that phrase and this phrase in english. I responded with a "ok, well you need to stay off of private property. he then 'tabernaqued me' and as far as I remember thats some form of curse word. I laughed about that for a while.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Ottawa is across the river from Gatineau. Ottawa is in Ontario which operates mainly in English (although the Ottawa area is pretty bilingual). Gatineau is in Quebec. The "offical" language of Quebec is French. Quebec pays better than Ontario. here endth the lesson

I have never taken the time to really learn about Canada and I probably should. I will say that it is the only place outside of the U.S. that I would visit since I have no desire to travel great distances and no desire to go to Mexico.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post
    Learning French would be a great idea and a very good use of down time at the post. So, in addition to making fantastic salad dressing, the French also pay better?
    Ottawa is across the river from Gatineau. Ottawa is in Ontario which operates mainly in English (although the Ottawa area is pretty bilingual). Gatineau is in Quebec. The "offical" language of Quebec is French. Quebec pays better than Ontario. here endth the lesson

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    In the U.S. unions couldn't care less about keeping warm bodies out. In fact, in the U.S. unions protect warm bodies and make it very difficult to fire them.

Learning French would be a great idea and a very good use of down time at the post. So, in addition to making fantastic salad dressing, the French also pay better?

Leave a comment:

• bigshotceo
    replied
    Be careful with Minto. I've heard a rumour (fairly reliable, but still a rumour and not information) that with the new act governing in-house security Minto isn't willing to pay for the extra costs and is going to contract their security out. Granted, if you're making minimum wage right now and hate your job you don't really have anything to lose.

As for assuming union guards get good wages, I'd disagree. Problem is that since many young people are doing security work while they get their police applications in, they're often willing to work far less than they're actually worth. Also, with the constant threat of contracting out the unions are afraid to ask for higher wages.

As for the going rate for contract security in Ottawa, it's normally anywhere from $8 to $11, with most sites in the $9 to $10 range. The larger companies generally pay for the uniforms/equipment/training, the smaller ones don't.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    [QUOTE=Cactus;44560]They recently told me im allowed to bring a book. I'm taking the opportunity to learn French, as jobs just slightly over the border can pay up to $7 more per hour!

./QUOTE]

Did you go to school in Ottawa? Isn't French part of the school system? (I'm not being a smart a*s I just assumed both of Canada's Offical Languages would be taught in Canada's capital).

I believe most Quebec Security "Agents" are paid $12.50/hour as per the government decree. (Plus 30 cents an hour if they do first aid, another 30 if they respond to fire alarms etc). What is the going rate in Ontario?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X