No announcement yet.

Non Warm Body Security In Ottawa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ANY Ottawa government job down on the city or National Capital level require a person to be bilingual?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus View Post
      Yes sir, I did go to school in Ottawa, however it is only manditory to take French up to grade 9, after that it is up to the student to pursue it. When I was in school I had no interest in learning French as I found mastering other languages too hard. However now I realize that working in Ottawa, one should know french as the bilingual guys will blow you off with a I don't speak English. Some even have the balls to say it in perfect english. LOL, worse yet (had this happen right outside Quebec) I had a guy say "I don't speak english." then I said, really because you just told me you can't speak english.... in english. he responded (no joke) i only know how to say that phrase and this phrase in english. I responded with a "ok, well you need to stay off of private property. he then 'tabernaqued me' and as far as I remember thats some form of curse word. I laughed about that for a while.
      I don't think that Ottawa people that deal with the public should speak French just because the "bilingual guys will blow you off". I think it should be required as resoect for French Canadians. Canada has 2 Offical Languages. Ottawa is Canada's capital. Simple!
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
        While reading your initial comments, I thought maybe you were in the Detention Center on Innes Road.

French has become more than just an asset for Government jobs, the school boards do offer full French Immersion and less intensive programs.

Rona, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Shoppers Drug Mart use their own inhouse Loss Prevention. Gilmore in Kanata is looking. Try Monster.ca & Workoplous.com a few times a week, even Carleton University. Various Police and the Military are looking. The RCMP only require either English or French.
        Ottawa University is totally bilingual and require staff to be.

BIGSHOT CEO, other than 80/year for registration, a clothing change and some different markings on the cars, I do not see a big cost for InHouse with the new Act.

Not all French are bad, not all English are bad, here is a postive true generalization -Ottawa is still a beautiful city and safe for tourists of any language skill.
        Thanks alot Eric, some great help there I will look into these places. Until I get hired at another place though I will pursue my 2nd and 3rd language training. (I hear Spanish is easy once you know French or Italian, apparently all 3 are alike)

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
          Eric, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ANY Ottawa government job down on the city or National Capital level require a person to be bilingual?
          You are not far off.
          The City job board often lists bilingual would be an asset, but are going a similar route as federal. That is bilingual gets the promotion. Federal still have some english only jobs listed, but see above.
          Our province has deemed eastern Ontario bilingual for signage and many jobs even some listed for Toronto ( a 4.5 hour drive from Ottawa).
          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Cactus
            I sent you a PM
            Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
            Groucho Marx

Comment

Eric, you sir, are the man.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse