Segways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segways

Do any of you guys sue segways at there worksite becuase here there theaking on getting police and security segway so we can use inside the building

My company (I was told, not certain though) was thinking about them. However, in a mall, it would not work.
    "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

They seem to be pretty useful when there's a lot of area to be covered by foot patrol where other vehicles won't work. I know that quite a few campus police/security departments use them. The trouble is, the price on them hasn't really come down like a lot of us thought it would, and they'll set you back a pretty penny. As soon as there's a serious challenger to the Segway, which I haven't seen if there is one (anyone seen one?), the price will start to drop I'm sure.

I'm afraid that all motorized operations, whether security, police, taxicab, etc. will one day soon have to seriously consider gasoline alternatives. Just a few years ago it would have really been almost unthinkable for oil to hit $60 a barrel, let alone $100. Now that it's happened, it will be much easier for it to happen again, and pretty soon we won't even notice that petroleum products are selling for 3 to 4 times what they were just a short while ago, with no justifiable economic reason other than pure speculation. Look how we've gotten accustomed to paying high prices already...and the prices will keep inching up just slowly enough to keep people from rioting in the streets, until one day we'll suddenly wake up and realize that we just paid $10 a gallon for gas.

We probably all knew there would come a day when operating gas-powered fleets would become prohibitively expensive - maybe in 20 or 30 years. Personally I think that day is coming MUCH sooner than we ever imagined - perhaps in less than 5 years! Our only hope is that the researchers working on creating viable petroleum alternatives will stop fooling around and "step on the gas" - no pun intended. This could well be a crisis of catastrophic proportions looming just over the horizon. It will be sad to see all the SUVs and monster pickups that people are buying now sitting and rusting in the driveways of America...but they won't be worth a plugged nickel, so folks will just be stuck with them. Even now, you wouldn't catch me buying one of those hogs - I've got too much respect for money to throw it away on gasoline.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

well we need the patrol cars to go around out other buildings that clear across the other side of town we need thoes thats why they didnt get a gas guzzler patrol vehicle we got 2007 jeep Liberties witch gas milage is pretty good considering how many places that we half to go. But the segways out security company has a conract with them witch get us discounts from them so i guesse that why there willing to get them

Comment

They are used by a couple of security companies here and are common for use in event work for first aiders and information people. At around $7k US here they are a bit pricey for everyone to have one but when you consider a patrol car could set you back $25k US and it is still used by 1 person only - it makes sense to get in close with them.

http://www.securecorp.com.au/news.html

But knowing the sizes of some of the boys and some girls who were taller than me, it is not going to fit all shapes and sizes.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

yeah just hopefully we get them here witch i think we will becuase we use bikes with three wheels around and they break down almost every night and we gotta use maitnace bicycles

Comment

Segways

Whats wrong good old golf kart?
              CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                My company (I was told, not certain though) was thinking about them. However, in a mall, it would not work.

I have to disagree with that one. There are quite a few malls here in the Twin Cities that use them, and they work out just fine.
                Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by FireEMSPolice View Post
                  I travel, constantly. I see them, being used by security, in many malls. Most recently, Towson Center Mall, - Maryland.
                  Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                  Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
                    Whats wrong good old golf kart?
                    Hard to get a golf cart through a door frame. Unless you are really determined I guess

Comment

At Wackenhut there was a site where an old guy would bring his Rascal to work to do his patrols http://www.mobilitymegastore.co.uk/u...scal_329le.jpg
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson View Post
                        At Wackenhut there was a site where an old guy would bring his Rascal to work to do his patrols http://www.mobilitymegastore.co.uk/u...scal_329le.jpg
                        Gee, don't most guys take their rascals to work?

(I'm sorry...I just couldn't resist.)
                        Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM.
                        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I would love to have a Segway.
                          sigpic
                          Rocket Science
                          Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                          One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X