Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taktiq
    replied
    Well, guys (and gals), after a bit of back and forth, I've been posted at a condominium community. It's gated, has a decent looking guard shack when I drove by it to check it out and according to the post orders I recieved, there's also a microwave and fridge available in the clubhouse. Didn't look half bad from what I could tell (appearances can be decieving). Hopefully this will be better than where they were trying to send me or had already been posted. To be honest, I pretty much just requested something with 8hr shifts as opposed to the 12's I would have had and the 10's I was working, so I wouldn't be so freaking tired 24/7.

I'll be starting tonight at 2000hrs, we'll see how this goes.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Caesar View Post
    I feel the same way, even if you won't make a lot more money in many departments. Police don't always make more than security.

But as I've said here before, I can't imagine doing some of the things I've seen S/Os do without qualified immunity. I mean really, it doesn't do you much good to "kick ass and take names" if you end up getting your ass "punted" out of a job (and maybe into a lawsuit, or worse, into a jail cell) because you weren't covered.....

I personally know more than one "Super Security Crime Fighter" who has ended up in major BS because they didn't understand this.
    Well said. I am fortunate in that I am in a security job that pays more than most police jobs and I am working on a pension as well. Jobs in security that have great wages almost never require anyone to work in the ghetto.

I hear a lot about Florida security on here and it shocks me how low the pay seems to be. I believe it is Hank1 that has dozens of armed officers under his command. That position should pay 60-70K or more with all of the responsibility that comes with it. I doubt it pays nearly that though and their accounts seem to be ghetto intensive with almost no lawful authority.

I don't know if I could be paid enough to be a sitting duck with no real authority, no back up, and poor wages. I would tell the chief to send me to the old folks home.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by CorpSec View Post

This is not meant to be a slam on anyone on this board that loves working the "high risk" sites, but why not just become a cop and get paid at least double the money and work on a great pension?
    I feel the same way, even if you won't make a lot more money in many departments. Police don't always make more than security.

But as I've said here before, I can't imagine doing some of the things I've seen S/Os do without qualified immunity. I mean really, it doesn't do you much good to "kick ass and take names" if you end up getting your ass "punted" out of a job (and maybe into a lawsuit, or worse, into a jail cell) because you weren't covered.....

I personally know more than one "Super Security Crime Fighter" who has ended up in major BS because they didn't understand this.

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    Originally posted by ddog View Post
    It only takes getting mugged once at gunpoint to change your habits immediately.

Hint, if you are walking along ghetto 'corner' and everyone in background suddenly disappears; except a couple of guys with overcoats where you are walking towards, look out. Good chance you will be mugged at gun point unless you see a cover exit and can run faster than drug addicts. Out running druggies is not hard, but without a cover exit, hard to outrun bullets or buckshot. NEVER look at the ground when walking, and ALWAYS stay alert.

And because the Captain asked if you wanted to be reassigned after tempting you with a bs 'carrot', don't worry about unemployment. This would be a good case for a hungry agency lawyer to screw him or the SO company's deeper pockets. SO companies go well beyond legal boundaries all the time with low paid Captains doing the dirtywork, since the education levels of many SO's are not par with crook companies procedures.

Any way, SO jobs are available everywhere, and unmemployment would be an inconvenience in cash flows (hopefully). Tell him to stick it if he is that slimey. But the legal screw in the company would be sweet. It would be at least worth a $5K severance payout, taxed up. That is, if it is negotiated before the introduction of the lawyer, since you should not want to stay with a company that tries to screw 'you'. But you better do your homework and have every word planned in your offer, or else... talk to your lawyer.
    My lawyer? Uhhh what lawyer?

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    I see two things here...

1. He asked if you wanted to be reassigned. Usually, there's no recourse if you are then ordered to be reassigned, so saying "I don't want to work it" will result in a "Are you refusing to accept work?" Say yes, and you have now quit. No benefits from the state (Unemployment Insurance), you just refused work.

2. If this is an unarmed site in the middle of crack town with a lot of radio traffic... What kind of radio traffic is it? Is it all 'plz call the po-po' or is it "I NEED SOME DAMN COPS THEY ARE TRYING OT KILL ME?!"

I have worked sites armed and unarmed in teh ghetto before. I can say I wouldn't do it unarmed again. But, it really depends on what you are supposed to be doing there.

1) The choice of posts came along with passing officer evaluation. The Capt. who talked to me orginally knew me from my previous time with this company when he was just a patrol Sgt. He really doesn't have the say so to fire me as he's not the Chief.
    2) Radio traffic? Hmmm...well when it's not responding to the usual noise complaints, I hear "dispatch roll PD" followed quite often by "i got one subject running! patrol what's your 20 (where are you)?" "10 minutes away"...*some static and huffing and puffing* "patrol better make it two minutes!"

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    I have worked sites armed and unarmed in teh ghetto before. I can say I wouldn't do it unarmed again. But, it really depends on what you are supposed to be doing there.
    It only takes getting mugged once at gunpoint to change your habits immediately.

Hint, if you are walking along ghetto 'corner' and everyone in background suddenly disappears; except a couple of guys with overcoats where you are walking towards, look out. Good chance you will be mugged at gun point unless you see a cover exit and can run faster than drug addicts. Out running druggies is not hard, but without a cover exit, hard to outrun bullets or buckshot. NEVER look at the ground when walking, and ALWAYS stay alert.

And because the Captain asked if you wanted to be reassigned after tempting you with a bs 'carrot', don't worry about unemployment. This would be a good case for a hungry agency lawyer to screw him or the SO company's deeper pockets. SO companies go well beyond legal boundaries all the time with low paid Captains doing the dirtywork, since the education levels of many SO's are not par with crook companies procedures.

Any way, SO jobs are available everywhere, and unmemployment would be an inconvenience in cash flows (hopefully). Tell him to stick it if he is that slimey. But the legal screw in the company would be sweet. It would be at least worth a $5K severance payout, taxed up. That is, if it is negotiated before the introduction of the lawyer, since you should not want to stay with a company that tries to screw 'you'. But you better do your homework and have every word planned in your offer, or else... talk to your lawyer.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I wouldn't take the new post. Working alone in a gang infested apartment complex is foolhardy.......
    My thoughts exactly - no way.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I see two things here...

1. He asked if you wanted to be reassigned. Usually, there's no recourse if you are then ordered to be reassigned, so saying "I don't want to work it" will result in a "Are you refusing to accept work?" Say yes, and you have now quit. No benefits from the state (Unemployment Insurance), you just refused work.

2. If this is an unarmed site in the middle of crack town with a lot of radio traffic... What kind of radio traffic is it? Is it all 'plz call the po-po' or is it "I NEED SOME DAMN COPS THEY ARE TRYING OT KILL ME?!"

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    Originally posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I suppose this new post wouldn't be so bad for folks like myself who like action as opposed to the drudgery of your aforementioned post. BTW, you did not say if this new post is going to be armed. If it's not, then I agree, you should probably try to talk the captain into sending you the old folks home.
    I don't mind action, that's no problem. You name it, I've worked it (ok maybe not as much as that CPO I mentioned, haha). And no, it's an unarmed post. I guess I should've mentioned that. One of the patrol supervisors I talk to, told me when I mentioned where I was being sent basically said, "My advice? GET ARMED! As soon as you possibly can. That's your only ticket out of there."

Leave a comment:

• tattedupboy
    replied
    I suppose this new post wouldn't be so bad for folks like myself who like action as opposed to the drudgery of your aforementioned post. BTW, you did not say if this new post is going to be armed. If it's not, then I agree, you should probably try to talk the captain into sending you the old folks home.

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    I wouldn't take the new post. Working alone in a gang infested apartment complex is foolhardy. The police, with all of their toys, training, and the law on their side respond to most calls with back up.

This is not meant to be a slam on anyone on this board that loves working the "high risk" sites, but why not just become a cop and get paid at least double the money and work on a great pension?

I have several friends that are police officers that do some off duty security work. They won't agree to a detail that that is foolish and they set the rules. You want one officer for a street festival in a bad neighborhood? Nope, you are going to need to hire at least three or we won't do it. The "client" either agrees to the officer's staffing requirements or they don't get the cops there. This is often when people might call XYZ Security to send over one armed guard since they care more about the bottom line than officer safety.

If the site isn't properly staffed or equipped, don't work it.
    Yeah, I talked to my Chief earlier on my break here at my other job. I was told I'd be starting this new posting Wednesday night, but he calls asking if I'd like to start tonight (No). I told him, due to working a second job already, if I could be sent someplace else that has 5 8hr shifts vs. this one with it's 12's. Not only do I not really care to work in someplace gang infested alone (I'll do it if I have to), but having two jobs wears you out to the point you feel like you never get any sleep as it is. He told me to contact him tomorrow so, we'll see how that goes.

Leave a comment:

• CorpSec
    replied
    I wouldn't take the new post. Working alone in a gang infested apartment complex is foolhardy. The police, with all of their toys, training, and the law on their side respond to most calls with back up.

I have several friends that are police officers that do some off duty security work. They won't agree to a detail that that is foolish and they set the rules. You want one officer for a street festival in a bad neighborhood? Nope, you are going to need to hire at least three or we won't do it. The "client" either agrees to the officer's staffing requirements or they don't get the cops there. This is often when people might call XYZ Security to send over one armed guard since they care more about the bottom line than officer safety.

If the site isn't properly staffed or equipped, don't work it.

Leave a comment:

• ddog
    replied
    Don't forget the 3rd alternative, do nothing.

Valuable contract law elements definition:
    1. offer,
    2. acceptance, AND
    3. meeting of the minds.

Yeah, your cap pulled a bait and switch on you. That was NOT what you agreed to, so don't get conned into jeopardizing your life for peanuts. Just state you need to investigate it longer, since the offer has changed and you have not had time to research it before a 'proper' acceptance.

From what I've seen so far, SO companies DO NOT offer good deals from the heavens. You have to fight, swear, hold on to any shift worth retaining. They always hang carrots in front of you to distract your clear thinking. Don't get too greedy, since its likely a trap if it sounds too good. Keep your guard up! They are all the same except a minor standard deviation in behavioral variance. Just because he may be good to someone else, he cannot AFFORD to be nice to everyone. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Have a chat with your boss, be honest and state you're not 100% confident that you're ready for such a position at this stage...

Leave a comment:

• Taktiq
    replied
    Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
    I prefer to be busy all night. Unfortunately, paperwork is a huge part of the job. As the Lieutenant with 51 marked vehicles on the street, I respond to priority calls. If my officers are busy, I respond to calls for service. And even then, I do not do very much paperwork such as CIRs, FIRs and the like!
    Staying busy's one thing...I don't think I'd mind going to this new site so much if I knew I'd be partnered up with another officer. Unfortunately, this won't be the case. So, it'll be me, myself and dispatch yapping in my ear for 12 hours.

The paperwork though, eh, that's really no biggie. Believe me, security paperwork doesn't hold a candle to the stuff I had to fill out daily while working on a hospital psych ward.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X