Report writting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report writting

[QUOTE=N. A. Corbier]Learn how to write good reports now, so you have a basic understanding when you take Reporting Writing for Criminal Justice.QUOTE]

I thought about this and giving the wbc's only provide little I/R writting or none at all.

With a new s/o starting in the field they are only taught who, why, what, and where concept.

I had gotten burnt when I first started out and have learned the values of this concept.

When I was able to help s/o's that were assigned to me, I ried to stick to some of the basics such as follows.

Example:
    Who:

Who reported it?
    Who was involved?
    Who discovered it?
    Who committed it?
    Who assisted with the incident?
    Who is the victim?
    Who summoned you?
    So on and so on

Why:

Why was the act or crime committed?
    Why was the act or crime reported?
    Why were the witnesses unwilling to talk?
    so on and so on

What:

What Happened?
    What cirme was committed?
    What did the suspect do or what were his action?
    What do the witnesses know about the incident?
    so and so on

Where:

Where did the crime or act happen?
    Where were the witnesses?
    Where was the victim>
    Where is the offender know?
    Where did the complainat come from?

When:

When did it happen?
    When was it reported?
    When was it discovered?
    so on and so on

Does anyone have or does there agency have this type of report writting tips?
    Last edited by hemi444; 02-04-2006, 05:30 AM.

Originally posted by hemi444

Example:

Why:

Why was the act or crime committed?
    Why was the act or crime reported?
    Why were the witnesses unwilling to talk?

Does anyone have or does there agency have this type of report writting tips?
    Just a note of caution on the "Why" questions. If it calls for opinion, interpretation, conclusion or speculation, it is best not to document it. Otherwise your credibility may be attacked on cross-examination.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
      Just a note of caution on the "Why" questions. If it calls for opinion, interpretation, conclusion or speculation, it is best not to document it. Otherwise your credibility may be attacked on cross-examination.
      IF during the interview the victim states something like..
      "When we broke up he sais he would burn my car for starters and I think he might do more." (OK time to get LE and Arson involved) That would not be an opinion and would be admissable.
      "I think they had an argument and that is why he broke the window." would be an opinion.

If you can keep it to "Just the facts Ma'am", there shouldn't be any problem.
      Last edited by ACP01; 02-04-2006, 09:20 AM. Reason: dumb mistake

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
        IF during the interview the victim states something like..
        "When we broke up he sais he would burn my car for starters and I think he might do more." (OK time to get LE and Arson involved) That would not be an opinion and would be admissable.
        "I think they had an argument and that is why he broke the window." would be an opinion.

If you can keep it to "Just the facts Ma'am", there shouldn't be any problem.
        I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
          My first tip would be to improve on your spelling and grammar.
          Sorry but when you have a time limit before the thread post closes, you try and hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
            To. You try TO hurry.
            I need to hurry because the computer will take me back to the login and I lose everything.

Comment

I need to hurry because the computer will take me back to the login and I lose everything.
              Try clicking on the box that says: "Remember Me."

Comment

Try clicking on the box that says: "Remember Me."
                Not an option at work.... Here at home I do not have a problem.

Comment

ffemt.......Is it just me or is there a little bit of an attack?... Just wondering.

Comment

Not an option at work.... Here at home I do not have a problem.
                    Sorry. I know how frustrating that is because it used to happen to me, especially after a good post.

Comment

Writting: an English gentleman who plays cricket and never misses his tea. Writing a report about Writting helps him with his self esteem.
                      "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Guys: With all due respect, we try to be a little more kind and understanding on this forum. Even when we have a valid point, it?s always good to be tactful when responding. That's a big difference with this forum as opposed to some other forums that you may have visited.

I'm sure that hemi444 wanted to be helpful. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. OK, I'm finished preaching.

Comment

Guys: With all due respect, we try to be a little more kind and understanding on this forum. Even when we have a valid point, it?s always good to be tactful when responding. That's a big difference with this forum as opposed to some other forums that you may have visited.

I'm sure that hemi444 wanted to be helpful. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. OK, I'm finished preaching.
                          It is the content of the message that is important. Hemi444 has useful data as to the rest of you and for that I am greatful.
                          Enjoy the day,
                          Bill

Comment

Ey neavr hve ani trubl with mi spelng.

Comment

Okay now, I sincerely apologize if I offended anyone with my posting there. I was trying to add nonsensicle (is that a word?) humor to the postings with a silly pun. I don't think I've emphasized enough how much of a dork I am
                              "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X