X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
    One of our officers committed suicide about 4 to 4.5 years ago. It was over a girl. Great guy, well liked by most, but just had some problems. Before he died, he told some of us that he didn't mean to do it. He poured gas on himself in this girls front lawn, struck a lighter, and the fumes ignited. He said he never meant to light it. He ended up coming in to our ER Stabalization room, and was admitted to our Burn unit before someone realized who he was. He held on for about five weeks. Those of us who knew him, miss him very much. It's never easy to experience something like this, but just know that while a lot of people may have a similar story to relate, it isn't really all that common to just security. It happens in all types of occupations.
    That is so sad. A fellow in our Air Police Squadron, had the same problem and stuck his issued M-1911A .45 under his chin. God what a sight!
    My father's advice rings true, but that again is hindsight.
    "There was a cat sitting next to a rail in a switch yard waiting for lunch to run by. Its tail was over the rail and a train came by and cut it off. Turning, its head was cut off." The moral, as my father explained it, "Never loose your head of a piece of tail."
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• sgtnewby
    replied
    One of our officers committed suicide about 4 to 4.5 years ago. It was over a girl. Great guy, well liked by most, but just had some problems. Before he died, he told some of us that he didn't mean to do it. He poured gas on himself in this girls front lawn, struck a lighter, and the fumes ignited. He said he never meant to light it. He ended up coming in to our ER Stabalization room, and was admitted to our Burn unit before someone realized who he was. He held on for about five weeks. Those of us who knew him, miss him very much. It's never easy to experience something like this, but just know that while a lot of people may have a similar story to relate, it isn't really all that common to just security. It happens in all types of occupations.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremy
    replied
    We had an officer suicide about 3 weeks ago. The officer was a former cop. He shot himself in his car at his house after arguing with his wife. He was 55.

I never worked with him (we share security operations with an in-house staff, which he worked on) but it was sad.

Leave a comment:

• bpdblue
    replied
    Sorry for the loss.

I'm sorry to hear about your co-worker. I have dealt with many suicide victims, those that died, and some that lived. I cannot understand how deep they must be in mental or physical pain to get to the point of actually attempting or succeeding in killing themselves, but for the most part you have to feel bad for them, and their family, friends, and CO-WORKERS they leave behind.

I worked with a police reserve who comitted suicide over family problems, and it was a sad situation for all involved. I hope what occurred has not gotten you too sad, just know that life goes on. Good luck in your work, and if you see another co-worker who seems to be troubled over this, try being extra nice in understanding what their going through, and if they seem overly bothered, you might pass that info on to your supervisor so they can get involved in helping out the co-worker.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by kingsman View Post
    I just got called by my supervisor and informed that I would need to work on my day off. She also informed me that one of our co-workers shot himself last night, apparently over family problems.

God how I hate this. He was young and in good health. I know there is a high suicide rate among law enforcement, but is there also a high rate among Security officers? This is the Second suicide on our staff of 30 in 3 years. Is
    this normal? An Aberation? Or is it something we need to worry about?

Very sad - my condolences to all. I have never personally been able to wrap my brain around the notion of suicide as a "solution to problems", except perhaps in cases of terminal illness and severe pain.

I've not seen specific data regarding suicide rates among security personnel and almost all the statistics seem to be related to police. As far as I know, the rate is not higher than average for security, but someone on the forum might have better data.

Leave a comment:

• kingsman
    started a topic co-worker suicide

co-worker suicide

I just got called by my supervisor and informed that I would need to work on my day off. She also informed me that one of our co-workers shot himself last night, apparently over family problems.

God how I hate this. He was young and in good health. I know there is a high suicide rate among law enforcement, but is there also a high rate among Security officers? This is the Second suicide on our staff of 30 in 3 years. Is
    this normal? An Aberation? Or is it something we need to worry about?

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X