Evacuate or Protect-In-Place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ACP01 View Post
    Of course any type of fire alarm or other such incident you mayevacuate again depending on type and size of building. Say you have an electrical room fire on one end of a L shaped building, would you really need to evacuate the othe end?
    Rule of thumb is you evacuate the floor where the fire is located & the floor above in case of a fire. So I WOULD evacuate the other end of an L shaped building.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

When I have conducted security or awareness training, I try to make it as real as possible. It is no use talking about Armed Holdups if we talk in a soft voice and read from a book. I do warn others I am going to make this sound real and I will role play as I suddenly raise my voice with shouting out "give me the money - now, hurry up, do it now, you - open that door". It is not meant to scare people (replacement underwear is available) but to ensure that it is as real as possible (I really hope it never happens to anyone) so that if sadly it did happen it would help others understand what MAY happen.

Most emergency wardens in Australia attend a BS 2 hour training session on where exits are, marshalling, evac points, bomb threats, etc. It means nothing when you have a 19 year old teen-queen (remember softly spoken Hooks from Police Academy ?) wearing a Village Person hard hat and losing control of the crown through mass panic.

Again it has to be realistic and to for Em. Wardens to deal with crowd issues to direct others out of the way or to move people from 1 part of a building to another. Best idea I know of was Task Cards which were handed to all 4 Em Wardens as the floor Warden controlled the floor - each card had them complete tasks (ie. check toilets) and then deliver them to a communications point on exiting the building. But as the old saying goes - PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE and then PRACTICE some more.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
        Most emergency wardens in Australia attend a BS 2 hour training session on where exits are, marshalling, evac points, bomb threats, etc. It means nothing when you have a 19 year old teen-queen (remember softly spoken Hooks from Police Academy ?) wearing a Village Person hard hat and losing control of the crown through mass panic.

Again it has to be realistic and to for Em. Wardens to deal with crowd issues to direct others out of the way or to move people from 1 part of a building to another. Best idea I know of was Task Cards which were handed to all 4 Em Wardens as the floor Warden controlled the floor - each card had them complete tasks (ie. check toilets) and then deliver them to a communications point on exiting the building. But as the old saying goes - PRACTICE - PRACTICE - PRACTICE and then PRACTICE some more.
        I like the idea of floor/dept wardens for fire, disaster, hazmat incidents, but not for bomb threats, terrorist or other active shooters.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

As SecTrainer and others have pointed out, these drills or exercises taken seriously, will save many lives. Every person from the janitor to the CEO have a stake in these exercises. If the CEO gives lip service to these exercises and does actively participate, guess what the employees will do?
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

They have to be realistic and not the time for people to walk next door and get a coffee to take to the evac point with them. In a SHTF scenario people do panic and if it is only through reputition, training, practice and knowledge that this panic can be reduced. Working in Tokyo once we had an earthquake and without fear the co-workers had me standing in a door way as little Ninjas ran around us to get us to evacuate the building. No panic and the voice over was a woman's voice in Japanese and English kindly advising us to leave the building immediately. I felt like changing the old undies after this happened as it was a shock to me to experience my 2nd earthquake in my life.
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X