Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Vision Gear?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Night Vision Gear?

    Wondering how many are using any form of low-light gear (IR, thermal, etc.), what you're using (Gen 1 - 3), etc. and how you're using it?
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

    "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

    "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

    "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

  • #2
    I have a Night Owl Marine 5x night vision scope with an IR illuminator. I bought the marine version so I could use it in the rain. I used it nightly when I worked in the cemetery. Now I use it if we have remote construction sites. It's fun to watch the deer that come around at night, too.
    "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

    Comment


    • #3
      Several of the guys I work with carry them. But, unfortunately I can't tell you what they are ( I just don't know). But when they use them, they are like little kids! LOL! I don't use them myself.

      Be Safe,

      Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

      Comment


      • #4
        We use various night vision technologies on our systems. It depends on the clients requirements as to which type and level we use.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've tried several generation 1 devices and have always been disappointed with the results. If you can afford it, stick with generation 2 or better. If you’re really rich, go for a thermal imaging device.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mr. Security View Post
            I've tried several generation 1 devices and have always been disappointed with the results. If you can afford it, stick with generation 2 or better. If you’re really rich, go for a thermal imaging device.
            Agreed.
            I own a set of Russian made Gen 1 night vission binos. I bought them back in the early '90s when I was doing the citizen militia thing. I used them quite a bit in the woods during overnight training, oopps I mean camping trips. Compaired to the US made PVS-7 Gen 3 stuff I had used in the Army the binos were very lacking. I havn't used them in years and until this afternoon, when I took them out of their case for this photo, they've been sitting on a closet shelf gathering dust.
            Photo? What photo, you ask? Hey, it's me, Steve aka EMTGuard. You just know that I'm gonna have a photo to share. I can't go more than 10 posts without attatching a photo relavant to a conversation we are having here. So without further delay..... drumroll please....
            Hospital Security Officer

            Comment


            • #7
              anyone know any good online sources for guys on a budget?
              sigpicMy ideal security vehicle and uniforms:

              Comment


              • #8
                Hmmm... haven't had the opportunity to use any such gear, I just have to rely on years of eating carrots! LOL
                "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Some IR or NVGs would be absolutely terrific here. I do a lot of patrols from the roof of the facility so I dont have to be trapsing around in the mud and woods stepping in deer poop then have to go back onto a medical unit.

                  I dont like shining a flashlight around from up there because then people realize we're up there and watch for us. If I could find a discount priced Vision Enhancing Set, that would be such a bonus for our site.
                  "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                  "The Curve" 1998

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ron Jessee View Post
                    anyone know any good online sources for guys on a budget?
                    If you want to send me a private message, we sell the ATN Viper 1 1x 1st Generation Plus Night Vision Monocular Goggle for $269.95.

                    I'm at work Sunday- Thursday and I check this forum pretty regularly during the day.

                    I do not have access to email, so PM on this forum is the only way to reach me unless you want my phone #.

                    I hope I haven't violated any forum rules with this post.
                    The CCTV Blog.

                    "Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

                    -SecTrainer

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                      If you want to send me a private message, we sell the ATN Viper 1 1x 1st Generation Plus Night Vision Monocular Goggle for $269.95.

                      I'm at work Sunday- Thursday and I check this forum pretty regularly during the day.

                      I do not have access to email, so PM on this forum is the only way to reach me unless you want my phone #.

                      I hope I haven't violated any forum rules with this post.
                      Hey, CM - don't know about the others, but I don't consider helpful sources that are "on point" like this one to be a "violation of the rules". You are responding to someone who specifically asked about sources, and you also contribute a lot of other "non-product-related" things on the forum as well.

                      My understanding is that the rules are basically to prevent people from coming onto the forum for no other purpose than to hawk their products and working their "ads" into every post they make, whether the thread in question is related to their product or not. We've had a few of those...and in my book you ain't one of 'em. Personally, I welcome timely information about good sources for gear, training, intelligence, methods...or anything else that we need in our profession, whether the individual sharing that information happens to be associated with the source or not.
                      Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-16-2007, 02:11 AM.
                      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                      "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                      "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                      "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                        Hey, CM - don't know about the others, but I don't consider helpful sources that are "on point" like this one to be a "violation of the rules". You are responding to someone who specifically asked about sources, and you also contribute a lot of other "non-product-related" things on the forum as well.

                        My understanding is that the rules are basically to prevent people from coming onto the forum for no other purpose than to hawk their products and working their "ads" into every post they make, whether the thread in question is related to their product or not. We've had a few of those...and in my book you ain't one of 'em. Personally, I welcome timely information about good sources for gear, training, intelligence, methods...or anything else that we need in our profession, whether the individual sharing that information happens to be associated with the source or not.
                        Fair enough. Thanks.
                        The CCTV Blog.

                        "Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

                        -SecTrainer

                        Comment

                        Leaderboard

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X