Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about being an armored car guard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about being an armored car guard.

Hey guys, I do some security work part time from my main job. I've done it for years and I feel I want to change things up a bit. I am trying to find out some info on what a "day in the life" of a armored truck guard is like, typical pay for entry level, is it just bankers hours or what kind of thing. I've done a lot of searching on the net, but just can't seem to find anything out. Any help is greatly appreciated!

The company I interviewed at pays 12.80 with decent benefits. You drive part of the time, do pickups/delivery part of the time. Mostly a daytime job.

Comment

We have Armored truck guys come to my work in the wee hours of the AM to service the merchant drops and put more money in them. The one guy was unarmed and the other was armed. The unarmed guy said his company has not gotten around to getting him a firearm.

A few days later, the unarmed guy was transporting cash around in his POV because the company truck broke down. I was like, WTF.
      "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Armoured jobs in Australia are either hard cell (armoured) or soft-cell (yes people used GEO METRO equivalents too) and many companies sub-sub-sub contract out the work.

A proper armoured car company has a 2 man crew and may pay $2.50 US more per hour than a regular security officer and include the $2.00 gun allowance per shift (yes we still have them). Most commenced from 0500 and 0600 to be out collecting cash from different sites and may unload twice in a day due to the dollars involved.

I spent 3 months working w/end work for 1 company and enjoyed the change but there are alot of cowboys in the industry who used to scare me when they asked for "their most favourite gun". I also applied to be the Branch Manager and whilst the money was very good, it was 0300 starts or 0400 starts and 12 hour days for 8 hours pay. On the day of the interview I watch 40 of these idiots strike because 3 crews were different from the usual teams due to sick leave so they called a snap strike.
        "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I have no interest in carrying any cash around. None at all. If you do, just use extreme caution.

Be Safe,

Hank
          " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post
            I have no interest in carrying any cash around. None at all. If you do, just use extreme caution.

Be Safe,

Hank

I, on the other hand, have plenty of interest in carrying wads of cash.....now if I could only get some.
            ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

I thought about applying to Brinks as an armored car guard, then I found out they make chump change, like about 12.00/hr, and that was a real turn off since Im making about 14.00/hr now, unarmed.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Hank1 View Post

Be Safe,

Hank
                Especially with your coworkers. Many an armored car robbery has turned out to be an inside job. That means that you probably won't be around afterwards to identify them. Many LEO's and SO's are willing to take on the risk that their job entails only because they know their partners/coworkers will cover their backs. That's not necessarily the case when millions are at stake.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Taktiq View Post
                  I, on the other hand, have plenty of interest in carrying wads of cash.....now if I could only get some.
                  That's classic Taktiq! LOL! I carry credit / debit cards. LOL!
                  " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by tlhfirelion View Post
                    Hey guys, I do some security work part time from my main job. I've done it for years and I feel I want to change things up a bit. I am trying to find out some info on what a "day in the life" of a armored truck guard is like, typical pay for entry level, is it just bankers hours or what kind of thing. I've done a lot of searching on the net, but just can't seem to find anything out. Any help is greatly appreciated!
                    I work for one of the largest armored car service in the country. To answer your question, the base pay will vary depending on where you live. The hours will also vary depending on your assignment.
                    If you are looking to get into the industry just know that it isn't as exciting as you might think. The work in of itself is easy. We're basically UPS with a gun. The whole getting shot/killed issue(and really, it'll suck that you got killed but what do you care ? your'e dead....armored car humor.. sorry) aside, the more common injuries in the industry are ankle and knee problems from getting in and out of the full size trucks. Lower back and hip issues over time from wearing your gun belt and gear. And last but not least shoulder issues brought on by carrying coin and or currency on your non-dominant shoulder(remember your gun hand is free at all times.) I hope I shed some light on your question but if you want more specifics let me know and I'll see what I can do for you...

Irv.
                    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

www.patrol4u.com

sigpic

Comment

Here's the thing about transporting money; even though it's a "security" job, your primary job it to transport. Like the guy above me said "UPS with a gun." You will probably be on a tight schedule and have to work at a brisk pace.

Not only that, but money is heavy!! Plus your job will eventually be obsolete once we become a 100% Credit Card society.
                      Police Officer

Experience: Bouncer, EMT, Theme Park Security, Money Transport, Armed Guard

Comment

My friend is a former armored car driver was leaving the City Of Boston on
                        one of our many bridges, and inside the truck was a cool $ 56 million dollars.
                        You really want to be responsible for this much cash, when your paid chump change?
                        http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                          You really want to be responsible for this much cash, when your paid chump change?
                          Yikes! No way.

Be Safe,

Hank

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                            Let me understand better please. What truck with what markings, logos, make, and model; along with typical time(s) of day(s), exact street route, and direction are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr619 View Post
                              Here's the thing about transporting money; even though it's a "security" job, your primary job it to transport. Like the guy above me said "UPS with a gun." You will probably be on a tight schedule and have to work at a brisk pace.

Not only that, but money is heavy!! Plus your job will eventually be obsolete once we become a 100% Credit Card society.
                              Except when everyone declares bankruptcy, it may be a 100% Master Debit Card society. Any driving job on a schedules sux royally. When your insurance jumps from azzholes constantly following in your blind side, it threatens working for anyone, except with a bicycle for transportation to/from work. Driving is fun, but its not that fun.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X