Security: "not real job"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security: "not real job"?

My wife just leaned over my shoulder as I was reading some posts here on the forum. She made a very hurtful comment to me which I would like to share with you to see if you have had any similar experience, which I am sure you have, and how you deal with it. This is especially relevant since the news earlier last week when that cop went crazy and killed several people after being called a "worthless pig". My own wife told me that this site was lame and security is not a real job. She has referred to security officers as rent-a-cops and usually says their jobs/careers are not "real", meaning security is not something you should spend your life doing.

I usually just reply that my job is important to the people that I protect and I mean I have a gun so that makes my job cooler. Usually I am able to just suck it up and try to explain that there is a lot of advancement and some really cool areas of security but she just thinks I am a failure.

My wife is a lot more educated than me and I think that has a lot to do with it.

Tell me what you think.

Originally posted by HospitalPatrol View Post
    My wife just leaned over my shoulder as I was reading some posts here on the forum. She made a very hurtful comment to me which I would like to share with you to see if you have had any similar experience, which I am sure you have, and how you deal with it. This is especially relevant since the news earlier last week when that cop went crazy and killed several people after being called a "worthless pig". My own wife told me that this site was lame and security is not a real job. She has referred to security officers as rent-a-cops and usually says their jobs/careers are not "real", meaning security is not something you should spend your life doing.

I usually just reply that my job is important to the people that I protect and I mean I have a gun so that makes my job cooler. Usually I am able to just suck it up and try to explain that there is a lot of advancement and some really cool areas of security but she just thinks I am a failure.

My wife is a lot more educated than me and I think that has a lot to do with it.

Tell me what you think.
    First, there is nothing "cool" about carrying a gun. Will you think it's still "cool" when you have to use that gun, to take a life of another person?

As for your wife, just from what you've mentioned here, she sounds like she isn't supportive. All that matters is if you like what you do, rock on and keep rocking. I can't say much about it, as i've never been in that situation (with a spouse, GF). Personally, if I were in the situation, the last thing I want to hear on my down time is negative BS. We get paid to deal with it on the street, but home is home and should be a place to relax and clear your mind. Sounds like you need to sit her down and have a serious discussion. However, you have to keep in mind that, no matter what job you have, they're people out there that will find something to talk about. Take for instance, librarian's have been talked about for decades. However, they (atleast out here) make between $40-$75K starting.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

When I was in LE my first wife was not supportive of me at all. Needless to say - I'm on my second marriage - 32 wonderful years.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I've heard this from people for 30+ years. I've learned to ignore it. I consider myself lucky to have found a job I am good at and like doing. For 30 years I've been getting up every morning - or night - looking forward to working another shift. In security - especially contract security - there is a huge variety, and something different every day. I need this variety; a factory job would kill me!
        I am also fortunate to have a wife who supports me in my career choice. She has a Masters Degree in Nursing, working on her PhD, and she has never looked down on me for having a H.S. education and a security job.
        I know people with good paying jobs who hate their jobs, but go to work because they have to pay for their lifestyle and expensive toys. Sometimes, I feel sorry for them.
        Last edited by Badge714; 10-11-2007, 10:58 AM.
        "Striking terrific terror in the hearts of criminals everywhere" Since 1977.

Comment

Security isn't a real job? ROTFLMAO

Just 2 quick questions...

1) What does your *cough* wife *cough* rate as a real job? the graveyard shift @ 7/11? a tiny closet sized cubicle in an office building?

2) What line of work does your *cough* wife *cough* do herself?

Personally, job satisfaction is a primary concern because if I'm unhappy at work my whole life will suffer as a result... your wife's attitude(s) are un-supportive & disrespectful (right up there with you suggesting she go on a diet)

I often find (and this may or may not apply to your wife) that people who 'belittle' other's lives/jobs/abilities/education etc. have deep rooted personal worth issues, and sadly they need to put others down to make themselves feel somewhat better

Forums are merely an extension of our freedom of speech, and a means of sharing information, ideas & support... if she think we're lame she's too close minded to appreciate the 'value' of such a collection of informative individuals...

/rant
          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

As stated earlier, carrying a gun is not "cool" but it is a serious tool to do the job you do. Being able to defend yourself and others is quite serious indeed. Does your Company have a "ride a long" program? If so, ask her to come to work with another officer (if you trust that person) to get a real feel of your duties and responsibilities. Let her see how you interact with others while on duty. If you are appreciated by the people you protect, she just may see how important your career is. And lastly, if you believe and know that your job is "real" and important. Well, thats all that truly matters.

Be Safe,

Hank
            " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Sounds like you have some serious issues to work out in your relationship. Attitudes like the one you mentioned could lead to the end of a marriage. She should not be disrespecting you and you should not be with someone who thinks you are a failure.
              Last edited by EMTGuard; 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM.
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Don't sweat the job comparison. You may be worried about the wrong thing.

Just don't lose your focus while carrying a firearm around daily. Be safe!

If you have constant shifts/hours every week, I'm jealous; and I've got 2 engineering, a management, and a human relations degree(s). There is no middle class in USA thanks to a systemic get-rich-quick plan by GW Bush (although a few may like him - usually the rich or gullible).

Anyway, hold your head up. You are doing fine.

Comment

Whether your job is standing on the corner of a busy intersection waving a sign around that says; "50% OFF YOUR SECOND PIZZA" or on the 117th floor running an international brokerage firm, your spouse should be supportive of you and you should be supportive of her an her occupation.

The two of you should be continously trying to help the other do better, without hurtful comments.

Seek counseling...
                  ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                  Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

If my wife (or in my case ex wives :P) would ever had told me that security is not a real job, I think I would have told them It's ok they're not my real wife
                    SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

I own a condo, have cable tv, internet & travelled to Northern Ireland this year. I have a grown daughter. I've been working security for 30+ years. My wife works only about 25 hours a week. So having all that we have securiyt must be a real job.

As for suggestions & worring about being thought of as a rent-a-cop: Forget about the 'having a gun is cool' statements.
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

A real job?

I hear this all the time from my wife and her family. According to them, a real job is one that pays allot of money. I am the opposite, I want to wake up and want to go to work. But, when they say that, I just respond, " a real job? I thought a real job was any JOB that you were PAID to to regardless of the work involved." Then again, I am just a Podunk security dude that does not know any better silly security officer....so what do I know sorry for the sarcasm

OH, one more thing, there is nothing "COOL" about having to kill someone! A gun is a tool, that when used, has a bad outcome for all that are involved, even if it is saving your own life. The consequences are for the rest of your life.
                        Last edited by DarkMetalWolf; 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM.
                        "You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."
                        (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, Marine, 1962.)

Comment

I think that by wearing a gun gives him the respect he does not get at home and that is cool. I'll let you decide how cool it is to carry a gun besides the paycheck. On three occasions I started to work before I realized that I forgot to bring it with me and had to head home to get it DOH!!, It could be said that she deep down admires what you do and is a little envious of you. Look on the good side she loves you for other things besides your job so embrace those things and you can love your job on your time.
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Education and public perception is what the key issues are. The days of the old night watchman where an old hand or ex-police officer who walked around switching off lights before locking up a building are now in the past. Many WWII vets moved into this line of work as it was a job and kept them working for many years to come.

Sadly public perceptions including that Security staff are not the sharpest tools in the shed and are just frustrated police officers who could never cut it at the academy. I have worked with many ex police who through injury or disgruntlement have left to pursue other careers and found themselves in the security industry as a short-term or career move.

Security is one of the hardest industries to work in as we say the worst word in the world to many people -the word is NO. NO you cannot park here, NO I cannot give you master keys, NO I cannot change your access to a higher level, NO your kids cannot play in the reactor, NO I am following my orders.

There are bums out there who are happy to work on a flat rate and plod along from shift to shift, eagerly awaking their pay cheques (checks) and then you have the cowboys who consider themselves to be a step down from a LEO and would sleep in the unform if they could because they know nothing else.

Respect is not gained by carrying a firearm on duty. Respect is gained by your interactions with your colleagues, your aptitude and your dealings with the general public. When you become complacent with these 3 things, you become a walking target for trouble.

Respect is not demanded - respect is earned from others.
                            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

As was asked before, what does your Wife do for a job? Would she think the same way if she were walking in say, a mall parking garage at night and some miscreant decided to accost her? Then along comes a Security Officer on patrol, and the dude thinks better of it...

My Wife is a LPN with a nursing degree (duh... ), and is working on her 2nd degree in human services, so she's definitely one or two up on me for education... She's been in nursing for 13 years, and I've only gotten back into Security in 2005, but she knows that my job is just as important as any other line of work, no more, no less...

Methinks your Wife may have seen too many movies or TV shows featuring 70 year old guards sleeping on duty, or fat ones cramming down donuts in a guard shack... Here's an idea, tell her "Yeah, you're right, I guess somebody better tell the Secret Service and US Embassy Marines to get a real job... Oh, BTW, I got hired by Blackwater USA, I leave for Iraq next month..."
                              “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
                              "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X